Still looking for a stout Bear load.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VTM

Bearcat
I called Hodgson about my inability to find load data for a LRFP cast 405 gr bullet over a strong dose of IMR 4198. They told me that the reason I cannot find such data on their sight is cuz they only publish for jacketed. I have looked elsewhere and can only find loads for trap door.

I had loaded some 38.7 grs. of IMR 4198 and they said that would be fine..but they would give me no other load data. Ugh.

So, dear fellow loaders. Does anyone have a IMR 4198 for a 405 gr. cast LRFP bullet, shot out of a new Guide Gun that you know would be strong medicin for a black Bear....how bout a mad moose?

I do not wish to go to the max...I will get Garret for any visits to Griz country I make. Just something for camping in the north woods of Michigan.

I know, black bears will run away...but I like to be prepared.

Please share a tried and true load for my application. Thanks

VTM

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
VTM,

Sir, with all due respect, I believe there are a lot of confused readers here, in regards to your post. It would help to give more information.

For starters, what caliber?

What is your barrel length?

We need more info than just "a 405 grain LFRP over 38.7 grains of IMR 4198."

Let us know some more details and we will probably be able to get you fixed up with a real thumper. Take care, man.

VTM

Bearcat
The rifle I will use is an 18.5 inch Marlin Guide Gun. It has ballard rifling and is not the ported variety. It is new with 20 rounds through it. The bullet is a 45/70 cal.

I appreciate any help you might provide.

Thanks much.

VTM

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Also, you could go over to: www.garrettcartridges.com

This guy is great. If you email him a question then he will personally answer you back. I hear that he is a top-shelf type of guy. He only carries loads for the 44 Mag and the 45-70. However, they are among the best ammo available for dangerous game. His ammo is "African grade" tough. I would bet my life on a product like his. Go to the website to read tons of testimonials from other happy customers.

I hope this helps.

Sugar River

Buckeye
In the "Strong actions" 45-70 section of Speer #14 they show 4198 loads with the 400 FNSP.

42 gr @ 1631
46 gr @ 1814

Pete

dougader

Hunter
Speer 14 has two separate sections for stronger actions... is that data for the lever action guns or for the single shot guns, ie, Ruger #1?

Away from my Speer #14 right now and can't check it....

dougader

Hunter
OK, got home for lunch. I thought this was the case...

The "strong actions" section in Speer 14 is NOT intended for lever guns. Speer has a specific section for lever guns, and there they list the following data:

Speer 45 FNSP Bullet, 2.540" COAL,
IMR 4198 powder
CCI 200 primer
Start: 36.0 grains @ 1368 fps
MAZ: 40.0 grains @ 1596 fps
Loads tested in Marlin Model 1895 with 22" barrel