Still amazed no new runs of 5.5 Stainless Bisley in 44mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
What seems like a long time ago now I had a set of the four Acusports including the 357, 41, 44, and 45 all with the stainless 5.5-inch barrel in the Bisley Blackhawk. I had to sell a bunch of guns due to a car accident and medical bills including all but my 45 Colt.

Over the years I've seen additional runs of the 357 and 41 and many runs of the 45 Colt but never the 44 Mag. I note we even had 3.5-inch Bisley in 44 Mag recently.

I am trying to understand why this is? For me, I find the 5.5-inch guns to be a good length so that I get good performance from a round without being very nose heavy. I also appreciate that the CAS shooters use 45 Colt a lot so it explains the reason for so many of these in 45 Colt. I am just surprised after all these years another round of 44 Mag has not been made.

Any guesses why? Has 44 Mag fallen from favor that bad? Would the Stainless Bisley in 44 Mag be more popular with say a 6.5 barrel instead? I just don't understand it. I still enjoy my 45 Colt but there are times factory 44 Mag ammo is so darned nice to just buy and shoot.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Great to see you around again QB. It would seem that 5.5" 44mag guns should be popular but you are right Ruger seems more focused on manufacturing short and extra long barrel guns now. I wonder how they decide. WAG I bet. :D

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I've had one in each caliber and currently a .357 which I love dearly. The .44 was a great gun and I foolishly sold it thinking it wouldn't be hard to grab another if I wanted one. I've wanted one a few times since then but never for the prices they commanded. The .357 was hard to find at a good price too and hopefully I've learned my lesson on selling rare ones.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
My 5.5" accusport is my favorite handgun period. One hog, two coyotes, and a pile of deer to it's credit. I have pics posted of it in my album over on Cast Boolits. I have the same handle there. Bowen used to offer the "Perfected Bisley" package that included cutting the barrel to 5.5". The balance on a 5.5" Bisley is nearly perfect.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Makes no sense to me. Dad has one that he hits with like it was launching guided missiles. Crappy old pic:
Bisley%20.44x5_%20-%20011.JPG

I like the short barrels and they don't make them either.
IMG_7100b.jpg

gunzo

Hunter
Craig, this is a crapy pic.

I really like 'em, I bought one (the bottom one) when they came out, & it took about 12 years to find & be able to buy 3 more. After all that I decided I only needed 1. I've sold 2 lately & have one left to sell, but haven't even taken pics of it yet.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Mine is my favorite 44. I had Mr. Stroh do a bunch of work on it... I still have the roll marked cylinder, but like the fluted cylinder better. I am also surprised that Ruger hasn't made more of these.

Craig, I like those two shorties!

Latest posts