sticking mag release button

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onfinal

Bearcat
I did a search, but the threads that came up were one to two years old and didn't arrive at a consensus on how to solve this problem other than send it in to Ruger and hope for the best.

I'm getting my SR-9 ready for sale or trade, but would like the mag release button to work somewhere near what it is supposed to before I do so. At present it sticks when pushed from either side, and stays in when pushed from the left side until the right button is pushed to pop it back out. The gun is 10 months old and has had probably 400 rounds through it, so it's obviously not going to improve with age and use. I have worked it at least 1000 times with no improvement.

Is there a way to keep the mag release from sticking without completely disassembling the SR-9? I don't have the time, inclination or aptitude for that. I bought it to shoot not rebuild, so now it's on its way out. But I would like to get it into salable condition first.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I have thread on here somewhere that describes how I fixed mine. Stupid plastic stuff. Anyway, you just have to pop out one pin and there are only two pieces to deal with; the button and the spring loaded latch piece. Smooth up the back of that latch piece a bit, polish up the button (but don't get to crazy) and then put some tetra grease on it. Works great.

Edit: here's the other thread
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60606&highlight=mag+release