Sticker Shock!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
The simple fact is that our currency is failing. I would have said "money" but the simple fact there is that we ain't had no real money since LBJ allowed the banksters to replace all of our silver coins back in 1965....If there is any of you who do not comprehend what I'm saying here, you might want to study up on what's been going on around you for the past several decades.....Now, fast-forwarding to today we can see that gasoline is still under a quarter per gallon just like it used to be. The problem is though, our real (silver) quarters have been stolen from us.
Source: https://www.coinflation.com/coins/1932-1964-Silver-Washington-Quarter-Value.html .

Just something to study on.

DGW
How about the paper dollars? We went from gold notes to silver certificates to federal reserve notes backed by nothing. A lot of you are probably to young to remember gold notes. The seal of the U.S. on them was printed in a gold color. They could be traded in for actual gold.

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
Folks are right; inflation exists, and the dollar may even be circling the drain.

BUT - primers cost what they do now, mostly because of "supply and demand". It's the same reason ammo prices skyrocket when politicians propose gun, magazine & ammo bans; people who maybe should have had more than 5 rounds on the shelf next to their gun safe, suddenly decide, "I better buy some more ammo!" A day later, the shelves are empty at their local gun store, and that creates even more panic. Prices stay high, as long as the demand remains elevated.

Same thing with primers; people who have one partial tray with 37 primers next to their reloading press suddenly decide, "I better buy some more primers!" A day later, the shelves are empty at their local gun store, and that creates even more panic. Prices stay high, as long as the demand remains elevated.

Demand is still high, so prices are high. If folks stop paying 10 cents each for primers, prices may come down. Frankly, I don't expect that to happen until ammo prices drop further - assuming they ever do.
:)

DGW1949

Hunter
How about the paper dollars? We went from gold notes to silver certificates to federal reserve notes backed by nothing. A lot of you are probably to young to remember gold notes. The seal of the U.S. on them was printed in a gold color. They could be traded in for actual gold.
"Old paper dollars" never were real money, but they could be exchanged for real money....hence the wording "pay the bearer on demand" found it their face. On the other hand, today's FRN's are merely debt-notes, basically nothing more than an unpayable IOU...Which unlike a Silver or Gold certificate (dollar bill), is not redeemable for anything. All you can do with a FRN is pass it around...kinda like a hot potatoe. LOL.

DGW

caryc

Hawkeye
"Old paper dollars" never were real money, but they could be exchanged for real money....hence the wording "pay the bearer on demand" found it their face. On the other hand, today's FRN's are merely debt-notes, basically nothing more than an unpayable IOU...Which unlike a Silver or Gold certificate (dollar bill), is not redeemable for anything. All you can do with a FRN is pass it around...kinda like a hot potatoe. LOL.

DGW
This is one of those old LARGE dollar bills. It says on it...

Silver Certificate
This certifies that there has been deposited in the treasury of
The United States Of America
One Silver Dollar
Payable to the bearer on demand

I wonder what the premise was as to actually where one had to go to redeam it for that silver dollar? After all, it says that that silver dollar was deposited into the U.S. Treasury. Where is that? Was a plain old bank responsible for giving one that silver dollar for the note? Who actually was responsible for that?

oYJz4DN.jpg

Last edited:

DGW1949

Hunter
This is one of those old LARGE dollar bills. It says on it...

Silver Certificate
This certifies that there has been deposited in the treasury of
The United States Of America
One Silver Dollar
Payable to the bearer on demand

I wonder what the premise was as to actually where one had to go to redeam it for that silver dollar? After all, it says that that silver dollar was deposited into the U.S. Treasury. Where is that?

oYJz4DN.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
Cary....yeah, that's the "dollar bill" that us old-timers grew up with. As for "exchanging" it for a real silver dollar, that could be done at any bank. I saw my Grandfather do that many times. Having lived through the depression, he didn't trust banks or paper money much, so he would regularly trade whatever extra paper dollars he managed to accumulate for silver dollars, halves, or quarters. As I recall, most retailers would let you trade your paper for their silver dollars too because paper was easier to mess with....Nowadays though, it's all a different story. Heck, most people don't even want to mess with paper. They really don't want to be bothered these days, so it's all about electronic digits....I guess they don't realize that paying with digits comes with a 3 or 3-1/2% price increase in the form of a hidden surcharge for the bank. Or maybe they know but don't care....Either way though, it seems that laziness does indeed come at a price. LOL.

Paul B

Buckeye
I remember when we had to turn in those silver certificates. My dad had a bunch he collected as tips when he worked on the waterfront. passengers would have him take their luggage And they'd tip him with dollar dollar bills that lad a large stamp stating HAWAII or PHILIPPINES on the bill. All money used there during WW2 was legal only in the place stamped. Apparently you could turnn them in for "good" ones. Dad had to take them to an office in the federal building and he gor a paper stating he woulf get X amount of silvler. A few weeks later he got a package that held about a quarter pound of silver powder.
One gold certificates, I had one I picked up out of the register when I worked for 7/11 in Vegas. It looked funny when I was counting money yo do a drop and examined it later. I had my lunch money on me so I swap $10 for the GC and took it home. I found it wass worth some decent money to a collector and planned to sell it. My first wife took it and spent it on I gorget what. As I told her what it was and what I'd planned, you can bet that what she did is only one of the reasons she's my EX-wife.
Paul B.

caryc

Hawkeye
I remember when we had to turn in those silver certificates. My dad had a bunch he collected as tips when he worked on the waterfront. passengers would have him take their luggage And they'd tip him with dollar dollar bills that lad a large stamp stating HAWAII or PHILIPPINES on the bill. All money used there during WW2 was legal only in the place stamped. Apparently you could turnn them in for "good" ones. Dad had to take them to an office in the federal building and he gor a paper stating he woulf get X amount of silvler. A few weeks later he got a package that held about a quarter pound of silver powder.
One gold certificates, I had one I picked up out of the register when I worked for 7/11 in Vegas. It looked funny when I was counting money yo do a drop and examined it later. I had my lunch money on me so I swap $10 for the GC and took it home. I found it wass worth some decent money to a collector and planned to sell it. My first wife took it and spent it on I gorget what. As I told her what it was and what I'd planned, you can bet that what she did is only one of the reasons she's my EX-wife.
Paul B.
When my Grandfather died, my Father and his brother and sister when through his safe and found a bunch of gold notes and of course silver certificates. My Dad brought a bunch of the gold notes home but I don't remember what happened to them. This was back in around 1959.

DGW is right. The "dollar" is swirling the drain.

Smart folks will realize that. And act accordingly.

I've been telling people for years, buy things now that you think will be critical for your survival in the future, while your "money" can still buy things, and there are still things you will need being offered for sale.

This advice is free. You can decide for yourself it's value.