stevens crack shot-26

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
None of the little stevens "boy's " rifles are very strong. I suggest shooting nothing more powerfull than CB / BB caps in them. Subsonic loads should also be fine.
I restocked a Little Scout for a friend last year and made the same suggestion to him.

Chev. William

Bearcat
I do have Some Stevens "Favorite" Rifles and I limit my loads in Them to Trans-Sonic (about 1124fps) velocities.

I also own a couple of Stevens "Model 44 Ideal" Rifles, one of which is Modified with a NOS Breech Block converted to CF and fitted so it bears upon the Rear Shoulders of the Housing when in 'Battery'. This one is fitted with both a .32 Long Barrel and a .25 Stevens Barrel. Eventually I will have a "LW" Blank fitted to it and Chambered for one of my Longer Cases.

In Addition I have a Donor Marlin Levermatic that I intend to have converted to a .25ACP Rifle initially, then later perhaps revised to handle the "6.35x26mmSR" Cartridge.

Again I will be Trying for a 23" final barrel length in order to evaluate both the.25ACP and my 6.35x26mmSR in RIFLE length Barrels in Closed-Locked Breech Actions.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
People need to understand that the Stevens Favorite and Crackshot are not the same
Gun and have very different strengths. Just like the Stevens 44 and 44 1/2 are totally different. The newer made Favorites are also very different from the early ones in design and strength.

Chev. William

Bearcat
Savage/Stevens model 30 seem to have been built in at least two sequences so look Closely at any you consider.
Have you looked on the various Gun Auction web sites?

It Might take some Persistence to find one.

Best Regards,
chev. William

Chev. William

Bearcat
It is now 2017, about 6 months since my last post on this forum Thread.
Sadly No progress on my rifles as my Gunsmith is Working To Get Back to about a 3 month backlog of work in the shop.

In The interim I have been "puttering" with a Custom Ruger Single Eight, a Ruger .32 H&R Mag. Single Six, and checking out the feasibility of converting a Winchester 1890/1906/Model 62 from .22WRF to .25ACP.
So far it Does Look Feasible! I have a Type 3 Bolt that has been revised from RF to CF, with the original Firing pin tip hole sealed and an CF tip hole drilled. a firing pin has been 'shortened' to remove the original tip and prepare it for drilling to take a .078' diameter Dowel pin for a new tip.
I was able to buy a 'Shortened and Shot-out/eroded' 1890 .22WRF barrel for a donor to have relined in .25ACP. This has a present length of about 20 inches instead of the normal 23 to 24 Inches.
A Winchester WRF tubular Magazine will Also fit the .25ACP Rim diameters.
The Magazine loading slot needed Grinding with a Dremel tool to fit the Wider .25ACP case.
I also found a refinished 1890 rear Frame that has evidence of "Bubba work" as it has chewed up places from a Vice Jaw AFTER it was Refinished.
I was able to buy a Thpe 3 Match Front Frame piece so I have a usable one of those.along with all the misc parts to assemble a Trigger Group complete.
The Lifter i have is one of the "S-L-LR" type fitted with a toggle piece to allow varying length Cartridges to be fed Reliably, that will need the Cartridge channel opened slightly to take the .25ACP rim diameter.
Stocks are no Problem as I have a few spare used ones on hand.

Currently the weather here is Cool And Wet so I am Not Reloading (on my Back Patio bench) at this time. I was able to complete Forming of about a 100 .25 parent cases and a similar number of .32 "Colt" parent cases before the weather turned 'sour'.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Bearcat
As of February 25th no Further Progress on my rifles.
In answer to an old post asking about a Model 30:
Currently there is a Savage Stevens Model 30 on Gun Auctions
(http://www.gunauction.com/buy/14420342)
" SAVAGE/STEVENS FAVORITE MODEL 30 LEVER ACTION FALLING BLOCK .22 LR
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/14420342
<= Back to Search Results
– / 6
Fatal error: Could not extract a stage height from the CSS. Traced height: 0px.
Meet the Seller
wildbill ( 28 )
Positive Percentage: 0%
Location (State):
Montana (MT)
Montana

Member For:
18 Years 0 Months
Options

Ask Seller a Question
Seller's Other Auctions

FOLLOW This Seller.
$265.00
(NO RESERVE)
[ 0 Bids ]

Bid: $

(Min. Bid is $265.00.)

Share this deal:
Mail this auction to a friend..
Put this on my Watch List.
Payment Method:
Money Orders, Cashiers Checks
Shipping Fee: (NOT SPECIFIED)

Auction: 14420342
Manufacturer: Savage
Caliber: .22 LR
NRA Grade: Excellent
Auction Type: Basic
Current High Bidder:
(none)
History:
0 Bid ($265.00 starting bid)
(Log In to view Bid History)
Bid Increment:
$5.00
Auction Start:
(February 23, 2017 4:09pm)
Auction Ends:
5d 1h 53m - Thursday
(March 2, 2017 4:09pm)

Seller's Description

THIS IS A STEVEN REMAKE BY SAVAGE OF THE STEVEN FAVORITE MODEL 30 THIS GUN WAS A ONE TIME ONLY BY SAVAGE.HAS ONLY BEEN SHOT A FEW TIME LIKE NEW.GUN COMES WITH PAPER WORK FROM SAVAGE.IF NOT HAPPY FULL REFUND MINUS SHIPPING.HALF OCTAGON/HALF ROUND BARREL. VERY NICE WALNUT STOCK. UPS SHIPPING LOWER 48 STATES $30. "

There are photos of the firearm also in the Auction post.

Best Regards,
Chev. William