Steel grip frames for 70's NM Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KLNC

Single-Sixer
Ok, I should know this, but have managed to confuse myself.

I'd like to replace the alloy frame on my 70's vintage .41 NM Blackhawk with a blued steel grip frame. I'm thinking the only ones that would work would be either a SBH Dragoon or an old Army, at least as a bolt on without fitting? I replaced the stock hammer with a blue SBH hammer (acquired through the kindness of a forum member), so am leaning toward the SBH Dragoon frame. Would that require a SBH trigger as well?

I know there are some other steel frames of later vintage, as in post 1997 I believe, but those have the taller ears and I'd like to keep fitting to a minimum without having to file down the taller ears.

Am I thinking right on this?

contender

Ruger Guru
The screw hole pattern hasn't changed,,, so if your desires are for a steel OM grip frame,,, you are correct in the SBH or OA being your choices. You can use a NM steel one,,, but you'd need a trigger return spring adapter to make the action work. Those are easily made,, and work just fine.
I put a NM Bisley g/f under an OM 44 mag SBH after I pulled off the factory brassie that had been added,,, after the fact. The ears you are concerned about may or may not require filing. But even if they do,,, it's not a huge issue, except for the bluing. Some folks just use a black "sharpie" to touch up such a small place,,, or they use a spot of cold blue to cover the small place. Some do not worry about the small amount the ears may protrude up.
The choice of using a SBH trigger to go with the g/f & hammer is what most folks do. The gap in the g/f of the SBH is wider, and as such, while you can use a standard trigger,,, most prefer to fill that gap with a correct trigger. Less side to side play is often the reason given.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Contender is correct except for one thing: you have a new model 41. The conversion of an OM grip frame to a NM gun is different.
But if you find a NM standard size steel grip frame from a blue 5 1/2" SBH (these were made before '97), or Dragoon Super BH grip frame made prior to '97, it's a "drop in" with close ear height.

OLD Model grip frames adapted to NEW Model guns with simple modifications:

1. The OM SBH and Old Army black powder steel and SS grip frames are the easiest because they already have a wide trigger slot for the NM triggers which are all wide.

2. Drill a hole in the OM grip frame above the trigger guard for the cyl bolt NM plunger & return spring. Replicate the location of the hole from the NM GF.

3. Grind off the spring shelf web behind the NM trigger and use the OM trigger return spring and plunger.

Another option is a NM stainless steel grip frame; you can fit the ears to the frame and flush to the hammer base, and not have to deal with bluing touch up!

Proper hammer base flush fit to ears:
orig.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Hondo is correct! I was "thinking backwards" in the adaptation of the differences between NM & OM. You can put a NM g/f under an OM, using the method I described. NOT the other way around. I was sick & fighting a major cold & cough last weekend. NOT thinking straight.

Ok Hondo44,,, I'll go sit in the corner with my Dunce cap on!

KLNC

Single-Sixer
I'm the real dunce--I posted the question to begin with!

I appreciate the responses--have it straight now.

contender

Ruger Guru
Dern Hondo,,,, you too? I keep telling Miss Penny my mind is going due to old age & gas! :D I like the comment once made about how as we age,,, our minds fill up, and we lose stuff as we put new stuff in it. I figure that's where they got the idea about SD cards & "memory" in a computer. They can only hold so much stuff!

KLNC,,, Nope,, you don't qualify. Honest questions are allowed. Confusion is for when we forget why we went to the bathroom in the first place! :D

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have a '79 vintage NMBH in 41 Mag that I sent to the factory in '93 for a steel grip frame. $90 as I recall. Don't know if they still do that.