Standard Automatic Pistol Disassembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm sure this has been covered however I couldn't find it using the search feature. How do I remove the receiver/barrel. I want to upgrade to a pac-lite however I'm unable to remove the receiver even after the bolt is removed.

Is there anyplace that gives blow by blow instructions?

wwb

Hunter
If the mainspring housing and bolt are removed, all you need to do is fetch it a sharp lick on the rear of the upper. There's a forward-facing "hook" (for lack of a better term) on the lower that a "ledge" on the front of the receiver slides out from under as the upper is pushed forward. Sometimes, it doesn"t slide so easy, and requires a little persuasion.

Most of the Ruger autos that I've dealt with require nothing more that a smack with the palm of your hand, but I've encountered a couple of them that required a soft-faced hammer to dislodge (and reinstall) the upper.

billbeamon

Bearcat
If it has been used a lot, the bolt recoil return will have driven the receiver forward hard, squeezing the mainspring pin. You have to smack the NOSE of the barrel smartly with a plastic hammer once or twice and then the mainspring pin should pull right out...

Reassembly is easy if you can get the pin to slide in all the way from the TOP first as an alignment check..

Hope that helps...
Bill Beamon