Standard 22 MkI wood grips........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

se3388

Bearcat
Did they make checkered wood grips for the MkI pictols? If so does anyone know where to get a set of checkered wood grips with a thumb rest for the MkI (made in 1962) Standard 22 auto pistol? I have found them for all the other Mk's but not the MkI. Most of the manufacturers I have contacted so far said for the MkII or later pistols. Thanks for any help.

Steve...........

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger made some.
Sleezebay or gunbroker or place a WTB ad here may help.
BTW; You will need to specify which frame they fit. A-54 or A-100.

se3388

Bearcat
Contender
Is there a posting on here that shows you how to tell which is which? I know it was made in 1962.

1gun
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Steve.........

aside from any markings on the frame itself, you can ALWAYS tell by the location of the TWO bottom grip panel screws...the early guns the left panel screw is close,near to the bottom of the grip frame, and the other side is slightly higher......for the A-100 frame they reversed this the hole on the RIGHT panel is closer to the bottom,and the left one is higher....can tell by LOOKING at the gun laying on the table without even picking it up or turning it over....easy peasy

Ojv20ttm.jpg

and YES you can use the Mark II grips on the later A-100 frames BUT must use a "spacer" in the slide stop cutout notch on the upper end of the LEFT panel...this is so the sear pivot pin does NOT "drift" out , to the left and disfunction your firearm,FUBAR............ 8) :roll: :wink:

Here are some examples of early ( A-54) wood target grips......

hoSuUAql.jpg

se3388

Bearcat
Mine must be an early gun as the left bottom screw is touching the bottom cutout in the grip and the right bottom screw hole is higher. Does that make mine an A54 frame?

Steve...........

Dan in MI

Staff member
se3388, yes A-54.

I just remember, low right is good (A-100) because I have a ton of mags that fit that configuration. I don't want to deal with two sets of mags for A-54 vs A-100. (I know swap the button... then I can't just grab and go)

I was going to suggest ebay, but the grips I am thinking of are for A-100.

se3388

Bearcat
I looked at Flea Bay and Amazon and quite a few other places with no luck for a checkered wood set with thumb rest, so far.

Steve........

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
se3388 said:
Did they make checkered wood grips for the MkI pictols? If so does anyone know where to get a set of checkered wood grips with a thumb rest for the MkI (made in 1962) Standard 22 auto pistol? I have found them for all the other Mk's but not the MkI. Most of the manufacturers I have contacted so far said for the MkII or later pistols. Thanks for any help.

Steve...........

Yes, they did offer those as an option along with plain checkered walnut panels with out the thumb rest:

imRJGH1l.jpg

A100 grip frame Ruger Mark I Target.

yes, nice picture and if it was the earlier A-54 frame the grip screw you "see"( left panel) would be lower and the black eagle medallion above the screw hole and below the thumb rest....keep that in mind when you are looking for grips "for sale" ...caveat emptor baby... 8) :roll: :wink:

have seen them at shows around here in the $30-40 range and the MK II thumb rest grips upper end of $45-48....recall some years ago, either CDNN or maybe Sile was closing the checkered walnuts , NO thumb rest for like $6 a pair,,,knew lots of folks bought them just to get the old model medallions, and it took TWO pairs to get ONE pair of medallions..... 8) :roll: :wink:

Boxhead

Blackhawk
rugerguy said:
have seen them at shows around here in the $30-40 range and the MK II thumb rest grips upper end of $45-48....recall some years ago, either CDNN or maybe Sile was closing the checkered walnuts , NO thumb rest for like $6 a pair,,,knew lots of folks bought them just to get the old model medallions, and it took TWO pairs to get ONE pair of medallions..... 8) :roll: :wink:

Guilty. Still have a few sets...