Stand off this morning.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HW11

Single-Sixer
One of my Australian Sheppards trying his best to get the deer out of his woods. My other dog gave up and came back and set down by me to watch the show. The deer won. She finally ran him back in the yard. This went on, back and forth for probably 15 minutes or more. I finally took the dogs back inside. I always have a few baby deer raised in the grown up field beside my house every year. Mama was just distracting the dog from her baby that was probably near by. It was a good laugh this morning for sure.
20240612_114214.jpg
20240612_114234.jpg
20240612_114324.jpg

I bet that was funny

Australian Shepherds are so super smart. We were at the park a couple weeks ago and our dog Rainy was playing with a squirrel. Well the squirrel was teasing Rainy over and over again. Good times.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
I just love Aussies. My Aussie/Heeler always wanted to chase everything in the woods, but she was trainable so I trained her not to bother Deer or birds of any kind. The deer around here are too vigilant of dogs to come near because of the wolf and coyote problem, but Turkeys and Grouse come around a lot and now she sits and watches them slowly move by.
As a reward for her good behavior I made the concession of allowing her to have her way with any kind of rodent, any time she wants. After all she has to chase something just for emotional release or instinct or whatever drives her.
I can tell by her bark, body language and behavior whether she's after a packrat, chipmunk or pine squirrel. She has a different bark for bear and deer. She's such a good communicator. Sometimes I'll be sitting at my computer and I can hear her yell "Daddy, I treed a pine squirrel, bring your 22 !"
She's 14 now and her senses are getting dull. It takes a lot more to get her riled now.

HW11

Single-Sixer
My two are litter mates, both males. They are number 5 and 6 that I have had the good fortune of taking care of. I got my first one when I was in my early 20s I guess. I have had a few blue heelers along the way. I had two brothers once before but these two are something else. They have more personality than most people, certainly more than I do. They have never been apart yet their personality is completely different. They are just the best. They accepted little Enos when he showed up here starved to death. They watch out for him now just like he is their little brother.
As for the deer, they just want whatever it is out of their yard, be it dog, deer, cat, whatever passes by. They will try to move it on away from the house then they come back all proud. The deer this morning was having none of it. She stood her ground. I all but laid down in the yard laughing at them trying to get it worked out. And Enos could have cared less. He was stretched out in the sun and never got up while it was all taking place. They are laying here by the kitchen table napping now, waiting to go feed the horses. Life is good.

Latest posts