Stamp "ABC 060" on a .38, 2.75" Speed Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
Just picked up a .38, 2.75" stainless, Speed Six with "ABC 060" stamped on the left side. Ser.No. 155-38936. Has the factory spurless double action hammer.

Anyone with knowledge of what the "ABC" is for?

Anyone know for sure about the 4" double action only GP100s imported by Century Arms in Vt.? Were did they come from? RCMP? Or ???

Thanks,
Terry T

Bearcat

Blackhawk
I vaguely recall that the State of Virginia, Alcoholic Beverage Control Board agents had these revolvers. But that was in the 80's or so......so......send the serial number to Ruger records per WMG's advice above.

--Doc

Terry T

Buckeye
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping that someone had actual personal knowlege of the markings. At this point an "Alcohol Control Board" makes the most sense but in which state?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear - it has the factory spurless double / single action hammer as opposed to the double action only hammer.

It was sitting next to the 4" GP100 with a true DAO hammer. The hammers look the same but, ofcourse, work differently. I was able to compare side by side.

Anyone with knowedge of the 4" DAO, stainless, GP100 inported by Century Arms in VT.?
Terry T

reakin

Single-Sixer
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry T:
Sorry I didn't make myself clear - it has the factory spurless double / single action hammer as opposed to the double action only hammer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does one cock a spurless hammer for single action firing? If the hammer does in fact have a single action notch, I'm betting someone besides Ruger modified the hammer to remove the spur. Of course, I've been wrong before....

reakin

Terry T

Buckeye
The Ruger double action / single action spurless hammer is unique in that it has groves or cross hatching on the top. A 'normal' hammer that has simply had the spur removed would not have the cross hatching at the top where the hammer meets the firing pin.

I started the cock with the trigger and finished it with my thumb. The hammer held at full cock.

The DAO hammer would not hold a full cock even though (on the outside) it looked the same.

Ofcourse the guns were empty when I was testing them. (Professional driver on a closed road - Kids, do not try this at home with a loaded gun!)
Terry T

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Hmmm, I have spurless hammer Rugers with cross-hatched areas at the top but they cannot be cocked as there is no cocking notch on the hammer to engage the sear. The GF-84NYCPD gun that I just sold, for instance, was like that. There is no reason why a spurless hammer couldn't be configured either way, but it seems less likely that an agency would order them without a spur but with the notch. I do have an old 150 series Speed Six that has a spurless hammer kit with it (not installed), I will look at that hammer when I have a chance to see if it has the notch.

I know of the CAI GP's as well as the older Service Sixes that they got, but I don't know any specifics as to what country they were re-imported from. They ones I have seen pictures of did not seem to have any foreign proof markings as would be expected on European guns. Canada is a good guess, possibly also South American countries.

Ruger Records: 603-865-2424

They confirm the NYCPD guns as "spurless hammer" but do not specify DAO.

Terry T

Buckeye
Called Ruger records. Confirmed as a GS82 shipped in Aug. 1979. (on-line ser. no. by year would have placed it in 1980). Would not say who it was shipped to. Could not seem to confirm the spurless hammer. I was transfered to product services and spoke with a very plesant 'Linda" who said it was too old for her records and wanted to transfer me back to records. I protested that they had transferred me to her. She said she would try to uncover the 'spurless' hammer issue and call me back. She knew that some had been shipped that way but did not have the ser. no. list available to her.
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry T:
<B>Just picked up a .38, 2.75" stainless, Speed Six with "ABC 060" stamped on the left side. Ser.No. 155-38936. Has the factory spurless double action hammer.

Anyone with knowledge of what the "ABC" is for?

Anyone know for sure about the 4" double action only GP100s imported by Century Arms in Vt.? Were did they come from? RCMP? Or ???

Thanks,
Terry T

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"ABC 060" sounds like it could be the company who did the Law Enforcement Exchange or purchase once the they were done using the guns. Have seen some recent "turn-ins" with one mark specifically, but don't remember what that looked like now...anyway, there were several of them on various tables at a gun show a few months ago...and the marks were all by the same company.
Chet15

Terry T

Buckeye
While Ca. is the known land "of fruits and nuts" I think I will go with your first suggestion -

"That's the Acme Bullet Company's test gun #60. Wile E. Coyote must have dropped it out in the desert"

That would make it a MOVIE GUN and therefore much more valuable!

Besides, it's no longer politically correct to police our fruits and nuts so any association with that insensitive past would be embarrassing.

By the way - it has the groved trigger. I was looking at my RENE stuff last night and I think it is a higher ser. no. than listed there for a groved trigger.
Did you get a chance to look at your spurless hammer yet?
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
"bump to top"

I am still looking for someone with actual personal knowlege of the markings. At this point an "Alcohol Beverage Control/Commission" (ABC) makes the most sense, but in which state?

Gun was shipped in Aug. 1979.
Thanks for all of your help,
Terry T

FWEAD

Bearcat
I have personal knowledge of such a weapon. My father was a Special Investigator for the state of California's Alcohol Beverage Control in the mid 80's (Wilshire Office) and the Ruger Speed Six you described matches his issued sidearm during this portion of his career. I fired the weapon on several occasions, usually after his qualification rounds.

Many fond memories of our quality time spent on the range. Wish I could find a similar weapon as a gift now that he is retired.

Terry T

Buckeye
"Fwead",
Welcome to the Forum.

WOW! THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO JOIN AND ANSWER A TWO YEAR OLD QUESTION! That helps a lot!

I have seen one other for sale on Gunbroker.com a year or so ago. (ABC 100)

ruger-GS-82-ABC100-2.jpg

Any chance you might have some family photos of your father and his gun? Does your Dad remember the number on his gun? Or the name of the agent that was issued ABC 060? Being able to connect a service gun to a particular agent or policeman adds a certain 'cool' factor to the piece.

The gun is part of my Ruger double action display. I just won the Ruger Collector's Assoc. 'Best of Show' in Boise Id. last weekend with the display with the 'ABC 060' Speed Six in the top right corner of the display. I left the hammer cocked to show that it is a SA/DA hammer and not just a DAO.

"Flatgate" (the owner of this forum) put some photos of my display up on page 3 of the tread.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... c&start=15

P1100519.jpg

My son has just joined the Ca. Highway Patrol. I am beginning to have a whole new level of appreciation for our law enforcement folks!

Thanks again for the info.
You can send me a private e-mail at [email protected], if you would like.
Terry T

lovemydals

Buckeye
Terry T,

I see that "congratulations" are in order for your Ruger Collector's Association 'Best of Show' win in Boise Id. So, way to go Terry!

lmd

FWEAD

Bearcat
Congrats, you have an awesome display with some beautiful revolvers.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures or additional information to add. I had dinner with the 'old man' tonight and posed your questions. He told me that he didn't remember the number that he was issued or anybody else's. It turns out that he did not carry his issued Ruger on duty (primarily undercover) and that it only came out of the safe for required qualifications.

As a side note, my father was a RangeMaster for the California Youth Authority and has much more information regarding S&W Model 64s that are stamped with CYA on their frame.

Wish I had more information to provide.

Terry T

Buckeye
"FWEAD",
Thanks for your kind words. Some days it seems more like an affliction that a hobby.

Thanks for the information on the ABC gun, you've been a BIG help.

Since your 'old man' was around as a Rangemaster for CYA, did he hear any 'gossip' about Ruger tying to take away the CHP contract for revolvers from S&W in about 1982 or 1983?

We've uncovered about 500 Rugers, configured like the S&W CHP model, stamped "CHP" on the left side, made about 1982. They are stainless with 6" barrels in .38 spl. with adj. sights and large grips. The S&W model 68s that were used by the CHP are also stamped 'CHP' on the left side.

My guess is that Ruger failed to win the contract away from S&W as the CHP never used the Rugers - they seemed to have always bought the S&W revolvers.

Thanks again for your help,
Terry T