stainless steel security six front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A1tommygun

Bearcat
I posted this question elsewhere on the forum a little while ago, and did not get very far with it. So I thought I would try posting it here in the smithing section.

I put a Millett Orange bar front sight on my two and three-quarter inch stainless security six a year or so ago and I really like it. I recently bought a stainless 4 inch security six with the factory red insert front sight. The insert is so badly faded that I would like to replace it with one of the Millett Orange bar front sights, but it appears that they have been discontinued.Does anyone know of a place that might still have some of these in stock? Any suggestions of another type of front sight? Can I knock out the insert and refill it with a colored epoxy?
Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom, your best bet would be to replace the insert with some "colored" ( tinted) epoxy............dam up the sides and 'fill'.....when it dries buff & polish to smooth out.....I use small pieces of brass and put a bit of Pam on it to keep from sticking.........use some DayGlo orange to 'tint'.....

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Tom, Try polishing that faded insert with Simichrome, Flitz, Red Rouge, etc. on a felt bob in a Dremel tool. I have brought back many an insert with this method..........................Dick :wink: