Stainless Steel 32mg Single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
With adjustable sights. A gent on another forum ran across a stock factory in that config. He bought it of course :D Anybody know anything about the gun?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I'm with flatgate...never heard of such a thing. Many confuse stainless with plated. A call to Ruger will confirm/deny.

Allen207

Single-Sixer
If a good smith converts a gun (for instance a stainless .22lr Single Six being altered to .32) would they stamp the frame so that it no longer said .22 and now said .32?

flatgate

Hawkeye
A "good" 'smith would certainly do that. However, the markings are never quite like the Factory's rolldies.......

JMHO,

flatgate

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Pretty easy to pull a screw or two and see if the base metal is white all-the-way through.

I've never seen a stainless 32 from the original (adjustable rear) production.

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
The Gent who bought the SS SS posted pics over on Gary Reeders forum. Very nice and I want one!

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
The grip fame looks like a matte stainless .. different than
the reciever... must be a conversion, if not its one of a kind !!
If Ruger did not make it ... They Should !

I'll wait to see the letter from Ruger..

FrontSite

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'll definitely call "BULL" on this one....

2009October25023.jpg

A stainless steel New Model Ruger uses the same basic alloys for all the major/large components. So, why are the barrel/cylinder frame components a vastly different color than the grip frame? Here's my stainless .22....
264767830.jpg

If the owner would simply remove the grip panels and read the casting marks in the grip frame he'd know the truth.........and, IIRC, even the hammer will exhibit nomenclature which defines the type of steel.

flatgate

PS Oh, yeah, let's hide the s/n, too, so no one can "letter" the gun......

chet15

Hawkeye
Some points to ponder...
Ruger did show a 6-1/2" prototype of a .32 Mag. stainless steel Single-Six on one of their tradeshow displays about 1991.
Second...I'm not sure I would go by what Ruger says the gun was shipped as. We've had too many guns (unusual ones) come through here with box markings different than what the gun actually is inside. If Ruger didn't catalog a KSSM4, why would they ship it as a KSSM4?
Had a SP101 here once that was shipped as model KSP-240 (.22 LR), but lo and behold that thing had a factory applied .22 R.F. Mag. rollmark on the barrel lug! .22 Mags in the SP101 were never offered commercially, and it is a mystery how many were really produced....but all prototype and pre-production only....and all shipped through normal distribution as .22 LR.
Also got into a batch of "D" guns from a distributor once, 21 in all. 7 of them either were the wrong model inside the box (as listed on the end label) or weren't even marked with a "D". Two of those were Bearcats and had the "crow's foot" "used" stamping as a prefix to the sn! Found out later these were really supposed to be "D" stamped, but......
I would do the ole' magnet test on that stainless .32. Stainless will attract a magnet, but not as heavily as a blued steel Ruger.
Be sure to let us know the results! If it is stainless, then I would want to hear more about that gun for the reference!! It would definitely need to be documented!!!
Just as a sidenote, does the sn tell you the gun was made about 1991 or so???
Its just too tough for me to discount anything from only a picture. Seen and held too many things that shouldn't exist.
Chet15