Stainless Single Six w/black checkered grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I am looking to buy a new Single Six. I prefer the stainless models, but I really like the feel of the factory grips that come with the blued versions (hated them when I first saw them, but ended up liking the way they feel). Is there a source for the factory checkered rubber grips? I didn't see them on the Ruger or Midway sites (despite the presence of numerous other factory grips).

I know I could buy some similar aftermarket grips, but I would like to keep the Ruger medallion on the gun.

Thanks in advance for your help.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm assuming you are asking about the new plastic checkered grip panels that are standard on the New Model Rugers. Your desires for a stainless Single-Six are listed as having Rosewood stocks. So,, the BEST way to get a set would be fairly easy. Place a WTB ad in the classifieds section on this forum,, and I bet you'll have a set quickly. But,, they made a few different types,,, some with molded medallions all black,, & some with the "old style" black eagle medallion. You'd need to make sure of what you desire.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the quick input. I figured I could go that route. But I don't understand why they aren't available for sale directly from Ruger or via the standard outlets. Maybe Ruger will sell me some - I haven't heard back from their customer service yet.

The only other question is whether there is an issue since the current blued models have the internal lock and the stainless ones don't.

flatgate

Hawkeye
south_ridge":3mtnziti said:
But I don't understand why they aren't available for sale directly from Ruger or via the standard outlets. Maybe Ruger will sell me some - I haven't heard back from their customer service yet.

The only other question is whether there is an issue since the current blued models have the internal lock and the stainless ones don't.

Just call Ruger and ask for a new set of grips for your lock equipped Single-Six. The internal lock grips simply have a little more clearance and a spot to drill a hole if you want to access the lock without removing the grips. Otherwise, they should work. HOWEVER, I've NOT actually tried to do this.......

flatgate

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Ruger customer service says the idea won't work:

========================

Response:
The black rubber grips will only fit on models with the internal lock. The stainless models do not have the internal lock. You can check with Eagle Grips at 800-323-6144, Hogue at 800-438-4747, Ajax Custom Grips at 214-630-8893, Pachmayr at 800-225-9626, or www.woodgrips.com.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

======================

Anybody out there actually tried this?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Very interesting. I wonder if the grip dowel is in a different location.....

I'm sure someone here on the Forum can dig out some of their guns and try some grip swapping......

I just don't have any lock equipped "XR3-RED" style guns on hand.....

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
Let me dig into my guns today and see what happens. I have the NM Vaqueros & the Lipsey's 44 spl,,, with the infernal lock,, and I think I have an older Stainless Single-Six to try it on.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I looked on the Ruger website at the page with the different model pictures on it. As I rolled the mouse over the different models, the location of the pin did appear to move as I switched from the stainless to the blued versions. Maybe they had to move it to make room for the lock.

hutchman

Blackhawk
What Ruger is telling you is complete BS...........

The grip frame on the new Single Sixes and Blackhawks measures approximately 1/2 inch which is wider than the lock. So any XR3-RED grip will work on your stainless grip frame.....including the new black plastic grips. I have traded several pair of these for Rosewoods on my newer Single Sixes and Blackhawks.....which have all had locks. The flat back grips fit nicely. The black plastic grips have a relief for the lock and will also fit with no issues.

If I had a set, I would gladly trade you, but mine are all long gone. Like Contender said, post a WTB or WTT in the classifieds and you will quickly find a set.

Ruger is putting out some bad info on these grips for some reason. The new lock equiped XR3-RED grip locating pins are in the same place as the older non-lock pins were. However the new XR3 grip frames on the Ann. and the New Vaqueros are thinner and do require grips with a relief to fit over the lock. They also have a different locating pin location and will not fit an older XR3 grip frame without some modification.

nwh

Bearcat
I tried the black plastic grips on my stainless single six and they
would not completely cover the grip frame like the wooden ones do.

flatgate

Hawkeye
contender":16ngcz7u said:
Let me dig into my guns today and see what happens. I have the NM Vaqueros & the Lipsey's 44 spl,,, with the infernal lock,, and I think I have an older Stainless Single-Six to try it on.

You're comparing apples to oranges. New Vaqueros, 50th Anniv. Blackhawks and the new .44 Specials all have Ruger's retro XR-3 grip frame.

We are looking for info relative to installing the current production "L" model Single-Six "black plastic" grips on a current production stainless Single-Six.

NWH's post state that the "K" model's grip frame is a bit larger. Now, IMHO, that's simply a challenge to make the stainless grip frame "fit" the grips!

:D

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
Duh,, dunce again. I didn't think of that until after I dug out my first gun,, and a set of stocks. I took one look at them,, realized my mistake immediately,, and thought,, "these NM's keep me screwing up!"
:D :D
But,, as noted above,, I do think it should be an easy swap as you want.

hutchman

Blackhawk
One of the issues I have found with my grip frames is that they are not all created equal. Whether it is the frame or the grips, sometimes they just don't fit as good. However, the next set of grips will fit.

My guess is that there is some variance in the finishing of the grip frames and that may cause some less than perfect fit. I would also think that the plastic grips would be more consistent than the wood grips.........don't know for sure.....

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Thought I'd pipe in on this. I have 4 Single Sixes with the new Locking Black Plastic, Silver Medallion grips on them. I replaced the wood because I like the feel of the black plastic. My guns are all new models, dates of mfg are 1975, 1981, 1993 and a 50th Anniversary Model.

I bought 2 pair from Ruger at $30 per pair and got the other 2 pair by posting a WTB ad here on the RugerForum.

They will work, however all my guns are blued. I've tried them on 2 different NM Single Sixes that are stainless and they seem to be small.
The gripframe shows around the edges. Go figure.

If your gun is blued, you're good to go.
my 2 cents,
Shorty

Hondo44

Hawkeye
south_ridge said:
I am looking to buy a new Single Six. I prefer the stainless models, but I really like the feel of the factory grips that come with the blued versions (hated them when I first saw them, but ended up liking the way they feel). Is there a source for the factory checkered rubber grips? I didn't see them on the Ruger or Midway sites (despite the presence of numerous other factory grips).

I know I could buy some similar aftermarket grips, but I would like to keep the Ruger medallion on the gun.

Thanks in advance for your help.

south_ridge,

YOUR ANSWER:
Your stainless single six is in group #2 below. The Black XR3=RED size grips from the blued Single six or the blued Blackhawk are the ones you need for your single six. They will fit. Part # XR01006 and you must call Ruger REVOLVER parts only:

Customer Service Department
Newport, NH
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)
Telephone: 603-865-2442

THE EXPLANATIONS:

In my experience:
1st) Most of the Ruger Cust Svc reps have little or no detailed knowledge of Ruger gun mechanics, no offense, they just are not engineers or parts experts.
2nd) Regular production parts are not available on the Ruger website "Store" or whatever they call it; mostly just accessories, optional grips only and some standard parts, sight sets, steel ejector housings, and some other 'high-demand' parts. You must call the toll free #s for regular production parts.
3rd) Regular production parts like SBH and Bisley hammers, Bisley grip frames, standard grips, etc., are often held from sale by Ruger Parts Dept from time to time when inventory gets low and could jeopardize filling orders for completed guns.

The facts about grip frames/grip panels:

1.) The are two sizes of black checkered grip panels with medallions (except New Vaqueros do not have medallions; they have the cast in Ruger logo); one size for guns in #2 below and one size for guns in #3 below, and the blued model single sixes and Blackhawks in #2 and all (blued and stainless) guns in #3 have the internal locks. The exception is a recent option to buy some of those models w/o locks (no 'L' in the cat. #).

2.) Stainless and blued guns of the same models use the same size grip panels/grip frames. Single sixes are the same size as standard Blackhawks, original Vaqueros and SBHs w/5.5" barrel or less; this size is the same as the old model XR3 RED (that's not the part #, the actual part #s are more confusing and denote the size and material the grip frame is made of). Black and wood grips for these guns will interchange, with the caveat that the stainless grips frames tend to run slightly larger. So putting wood grips on blued guns requires the grips be fitted slightly. Putting black grips on stainless guns requires the stainless grip frame be fitted/polished slightly smaller to match black grips.

3.) New Vaqueros and NM Flat top Blackhawks all use the XR3 size grip frames, both blue and stainless guns have the lock (note exception above) and (again, that's not the part #, the actual part #s are more confusing and denote the size and material the grip frame is made of.) HOWEVER, since the XR3 size grip frames are all 7/16" wide instead of 1/2" wide like the XR3 RED size in #2 above. therefore their black grips have the back hollowed out for the 1/2" wide locks. Wood grips with hollowed backs to fit over the lock for these guns are available on the Ruger website as an accessory item and can be ordered on-line.

Hope that helps,