Stainless Security Six...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I myself just bought one of those a GA-86.
I consider all adjustable sight .38 Spcl. to be scarce
to rare. Serial # will help to pin point it. Very nice gun
does it have a box aqnd paper work?
Terry

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Knook, from my failing recollection it does have a connection to the CHP, but due to loss of the box and paperwork during a cross country move, I had lost track of it origin. Thanks all for the information, appreciated.

Terry T

Buckeye
RENE and the "gossip" is that Ruger made up about 500 in 1982 to attempt to get the revolver contract with the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Some were stamped on the left side with "CHP". They are the same configuration as the S&W in use by the Patrol from 1977 through the mid '80s down to the 'CHP' stamp on the left side. S&W 'CHP' model was also used by the L.A Sheriff's Dept. Ruger was NOT successful in taking the contract away from S&W.

See 'Newhall incident' to see why the CHP went to .38 spl. rather than 357 mag.

CHP still uses S&Ws (autos in 40 S&W). Couple of years ago SIG tried to get the contract - under bid S&W - went to court and still didn't get the contract.

My son just joined the Patrol. We will attempt to find some of the 'old hands' that may have been involved in the bidding process in 1982 and try to clear this up in the future.
Terry T

chet15

Hawkeye
Here's what I have on that one from the reference:

GA-86T "California Highway Patrol" model with or without "CHP" rollmark on left side of frame. Known s/n ranges 159-27589 to 159-38475 and 159-67056 to 159-85889. It has been reported that a total of 500 of this model were produced.

If your sn does not fall in one of these ranges, please send me a PM on that.
Remember also that any .38 Special with a 6" barrel is a super rarity! The common lengths were 2-3/4" or 4" for that chambering.
Chet15

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Thanks Chet15

Wow, I must have been living right at the time. The S/N is 159-37768, so within your referenced range.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Terry T":6ixguqul said:
RENE and the "gossip" is that Ruger made up about 500 in 1982 to attempt to get the revolver contract with the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Some were stamped on the left side with "CHP". They are the same configuration as the S&W in use by the Patrol from 1977 through the mid '80s down to the 'CHP' stamp on the left side. S&W 'CHP' model was also used by the L.A Sheriff's Dept. Ruger was NOT successful in taking the contract away from S&W.

IIRC, didn't Ruger make a run of commemorative #1 rifles for the CHP or their officer's assn. in .357 Magnum?

ETA: Like this:

100059277-1-l.jpg

Terry T

Buckeye
Short answer - Yes.

The No. 1s were not an issue piece.

We are not yet entirely clear as to why the GA-86T (some stamped "CHP") were made up.
Terry T

Latest posts