Stainless...finish, or construction?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bendrx

Bearcat
Hey, I've been lurking here for a few month. But just signed up to post this. I've been a Ruger fan since I first shot my dads stainless Mini-14 back when I was 6 or 7 I think. I just purchased my first Ruger, a KP345PR, and am very happy with it. Not so happy with my abilitiy to aim, but that's a fault of mine not the gun. Anyway, discussion came up about the "Stainless" aspect of the gun. I was told it was just a stainless plating by a Glock lover when he got defensive about the finish on his gun (He wasn't stating it as fact, just saying that he was sure it was a coating). So, I always thought (and hope) that the stainless parts on the gun are solid stainless and not the work of electrolisys. Can anyone say which it is and/or provide info on this? I suppose the thing to do would be to just ask Ruger, but I've already typed this so I'll continue here as well. As a second Q, I've noticed a reasonable am out of disent towards Rugers newer offerings in the pistol line up on this and other boards. I know about the issues with the SR9 and the LCP, other than that I've not heard any specific complaints just a general feeling that the newer productions were in some way less then older offerings. Any thoughs on this, specificly as it relates to the KP345?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Bendrx,

The Search function is your friend. The P345 has had it's share of problems as well ... most notably the 'click no bang' syndrome. Do a search here on 'click no bang' .... you'll find more than you want to see on the P345.

DO NOT EVER ... NOT EVEN ONCE ... PULL THE TRIGGER WITHOUT A MAG IN THE GUN, OR WITH THE SAFETY ON. Hope your gun was new in a box ... if it was in a display case, or used, and one of the above actions was ever done, you'll never know when your gun will fail. Ruger had literally thousands of these guns returned for broken firing pins. THey never did resolve the problem, they just put a sentence in the manual stating that you shouldn't do it. Pretty crappy resolution if you ask me, and probably the main reason why the P345 is now a stand-alone type of gun platform in the Ruger lineup.

If it's just a range gun ... no big deal ... if you were considering it for self defense, and your gun wasn't brand new in the box, with YOU as the first person that handled it, well ... youse pays youse money, and youse takes youse chances.

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome bendrx, the "K" is the Stainless designation in Ruger's code system, it's a cast Stainless and nothing more. The Glock fan didn't know what he was talking about.

+1 on what Rev said about the C-N-B. Chances are yours is fine, just best to be aware of the issue ahead of time.

The negativity towards the SR9 and LCP in some threads is kinda magnified by the fact that it's all on a forum, and a more technical one at that sometimes. The problems have merit, but in most cases are not cause for functional worry. Very few have reported a failure, though many have opted to send the pistols to Ruger for repair as a precaution.

Stick around, bunch of good folk here, plenty of info on the P345, though I'm no help really, shot one once, but wasn't turned on by it, SR9 was more my fancy :).

Josh

bendrx

Bearcat
Thanks for the answers, looked up on Rugers site too: http://ruger.com/products/p345/models.html.

I know of the click no bang "issue" but I don't consider failure from direct abuse an issue. Slamming the pin into the disconnect is a reasonable reason for failure. So it sounds like the disent for the newer models so far is either "for no reason" or just the LCP and SR9 recalls being blown out of proportion.

Also, ordered mine from Ruger via a local gunshop, they didn't have what I wanted in stock so pretty safe to say it's never been fired without the clip. Though you never really know.

Mike J

Hunter
bendrx-As others have stated it has to do with the recall on the LCP & SR9. The politically correct features on the P-345 (Loaded Chamber Indicator, internal lock system, mag disconnect) The click no bang problems some encountered with the P-345, The fact they used the same mag disconnect safety in the SR9 as they did in the P-345. You can go all the way back to the problems folks had with slide stops backing out on P-97's till they got it corrected. The older P-series guns were considered big & bulky by many but they were tough, they worked, ate anything they were fed & were always affordably priced.
Some here consider it safer to wait until a new Ruger semi offering has been out for a couple of years before buying to let it go through the teething process. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be unique to Ruger, I have been seeing problems with other manufacturers new products on other boards-it seems to be a trend in the firearms industry to rush new products to market without adequate testing or quality control.

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
I have shot most of the ruger semiauto line up. My p345 is by far my favorite. The p345 and the sr9, both, had the best ergonomics for my hands. I researched, and then removed the magazine disconnect. The only part I don't like about the gun is its heavy DA trigger pull. Other than that, the trigger isn't too bad for a stock auto.

The p345 is a very slim, user friendly, accurate pistol. It is very concealable for a full size handgun. I like it a lot.

The only other ruger auto that interests me is the p90. The trigger was better, at least on the two that I shot, and was even more accurate than my p345. It seemed a little too bulky for ccw use, except for winter carry.

martyj

Blackhawk
B.Roberts":1o2bocq7 said:
I have shot most of the ruger semiauto line up. My p345 is by far my favorite. The p345 and the sr9, both, had the best ergonomics for my hands. I researched, and then removed the magazine disconnect. The only part I don't like about the gun is its heavy DA trigger pull. Other than that, the trigger isn't too bad for a stock auto.

The p345 is a very slim, user friendly, accurate pistol. It is very concealable for a full size handgun. I like it a lot.

The only other ruger auto that interests me is the p90. The trigger was better, at least on the two that I shot, and was even more accurate than my p345. It seemed a little too bulky for ccw use, except for winter carry.

You never felt a bad trigger till you tried the sigma. I checked and re checked for safety and was affraid I was going to break the trigger.

Sheriff10

Bearcat
I had the problem described by earlier posters. Click no bang. I sent it to back to Ruger. They fixed the firing pin at no cost to me. I have put far more rounds throughthe SR9 without even a single jam.

Bought an LCP. Can't wait to find some reasonably priced .380 cal ammo so I can go shoot the darn thing.

Ruger has my business.