Stainless, adjustable sight, 32 Mag Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cannon

Bearcat
I found a Ruger under the Christmas tree that I'm not sure I even knew existed. It's a KSSM-5/06518 -- satin stainless, 5.5", adjustable sighted 32 H&R Mag Single Six, serial no. 650-57217.

This is right up my alley -- I'm not sure how it slipped past my radar. Were these a distributor special? Do we have any idea how many are out there?

kssm5.jpg

kssm5_label.jpg

Thanks,
Cannon

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You are a lucky man with a very savvy Santa!

Released early 2016 in a quantity of only 99 at the time! There was also a 5 1/2" blue fixed sight 32 Mag released at the same time in similar quantity. As far as anyone seems to know, neither were distributor exclusive models, but they clearly are configurations never produced or sold back when the 32 Mags were still in production.

Consensus at the time was that they are "clean up" guns. Extra parts laying around assembled into non-regular production configurations and shipped out the door. IIRC all were sold thru Lipsey's.

Like most irregular configured "clean up" guns, they are instant collectibles. Not that they will ever become extremely valuable, but definitely of interest to those that collect low production oddities.

chet15

Hawkeye
These 5-1/2" guns were Davidson's exclusives.
At the time they were announced, it was hinted by Davidson's that they were cleanup guns, but that is impossible!!!
Ruger never offered an adjustable sight .32 mag. Single-Six in stainless.
And as for the 5-1/2" blue model with fixed sights, Ruger never offered a fixed sight .32 mag. with 5-1/2" barrel.
The serial numbers also prove these were new production guns, because they are higher than any other .32 Single-Six offered previously...including the "true" .32 Mag. cleanup guns made several years ago.
So either Davidson's or Ruger or both tried making a rarity out of something that was completely different.
What does appear to be a recent cleanup of the blue frames however is a birdshead model 6514 that has gone relatively unnoticed...these have laser engraved frame markings and serial number, a stainless hammer and black laminate grips instead of black micarta. They are in the 650-58xxx range.
Chet15

Cannon

Bearcat
Thank you, gentlemen, I appreciate the information.

Rare or not, this one's a shooter. No trouble ringing my 75-yard steel plate right out of the box, but I haven't put it on paper yet.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
These 5-1/2" guns were Davidson's exclusives.
At the time they were announced, it was hinted by Davidson's that they were cleanup guns, but that is impossible!!!
Ruger never offered an adjustable sight .32 mag. Single-Six in stainless.
And as for the 5-1/2" blue model with fixed sights, Ruger never offered a fixed sight .32 mag. with 5-1/2" barrel.
Chet15

Thx Chet,

Apparently Davidson's "hinting" worked. And not really impossible though:

the 5 1/2" stainless models could have easily used 327 barrels.

and the blued 5 1/2" fixed sight model could have used left over adj sighted 32 Mag 5 1/2" barrels not yet drilled and tapped for the ramp and base front sight, with blade sights newly installed instead.