Stag Grips Type Identification?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SAJohn

Hunter
I have two sets of stags grips that fit the old XR3 grip frame.
StagGripsFront.jpg

The grips on top are from Sack Peterson and he sold them to me as Elk. The bottom pair I just acquired. They look significantly different. Is this Sambar or what?
StagGripsBack.jpg

SAJohn

mt

Single-Sixer
The Sambar I have is very similar to the bottom set of grips, especially the coarse, dark color of the bark.

mt

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:shock: Those Sambar's look great, but the holes look awfully close to the frame. Have you tried them on the pistol to see if they fit? RB

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Sambar's appear to have had the screw holes drilled in a "Colt" pattern and not a bit more centered "ala Ruger".
146541285.jpg

One will occasionally encounter Stags with Colt SAA and Ruger XR-3 grip dowel holes.

JMHO,

flatgate

SAJohn

Hunter
I also checked with Bill "Sack" Peterson and he agreed that they were Sambar. Yes, the screw holes are a bit too close to the grip frame. The frame was slightly relieved to get them to fit.

caryc

Hawkeye
SAJohn":kztgyql8 said:
I also checked with Bill "Sack" Peterson and he agreed that they were Sambar. Yes, the screw holes are a bit too close to the grip frame. The frame was slightly relieved to get them to fit.

I would definitely use a grip screw spacer on those Sambar grips. Looking at the back of them, it looks very weak with those adjoining holes.

Boomer

Single-Sixer
This topic is coincidental, since I too asked "Sack" for an internet opinion on provided photos of probable material type and origin of the stag grips on my OM SS (see signature). Subsequent to my intro thread earlier this year, I learned these are not factory original, but I know for certain they are period to the date of 1955 purchase. So with apologies to Flatgate for borrowing his Ruger logo box idea, here are some pics of mine:

(BTW, moderators please PM me if these are too many or too large - thanks!)

372867449.jpg

372867481.jpg

372867526.jpg

372867509.jpg

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Boomer":2k9ya731 said:
This topic is coincidental, since I too asked "Sack" for an internet opinion on provided photos of probable material type and origin of the stag grips on my OM SS (see signature). Subsequent to my intro thread earlier this year, I learned these are not factory original, but I know for certain they are period to the date of 1955 purchase. So with apologies to Flatgate for borrowing his Ruger logo box idea, here are some pics of mine:

(BTW, moderators please PM me if these are too many or too large - thanks!)

372867449.jpg

372867481.jpg

372867526.jpg

372867509.jpg
Boomer, if anyone wanted a matched pair of Rugers with old stags, ours are very compatible. Look at mine a few posts up on this thread.