Stag and Antler question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This isn't realted to revolvers so much, but I tend to read more threads here than elsewhere.

I'm putting an antler handle (Illinois whitetail, not stag) on a knife. Do any of you use any finish on antler handles or Stag grips for that matter? What about cleaning them? Does Hoppes break down the stag/antler material?

I was sort of thinking about tru oil on the handle, but don't want to create an ugly mess, so I thought I'd ask first.

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
I make a lot of stag grips.

I dont do this on my finishes - but I think antler looks decent / good with a light coat of clear polyurethane spray. You need to get all the tool marks and sanding marks off though, theyll stick out like a sore thumb once a finish is applied.

What I do use use typically is a wax polish applied on a 3600 rpm buffing wheel. Again, make sure to get off all the tool and sanding marks.

I think Tru Oil may work well applied lightly on the exterior of an antler. In general, you want to avoid retaining a lot moisture in your antler. I dont know if Tru Oil is water based or a synthetic.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Some of the Big Dog RF members advised me not to let gun oils or solvent get on my elk stag grips as it would over time cause them to decay. Instead I was advised to use mineral oil occasionally on the grips.
If the gun needs cleaning with a solvent, the grips come off. Otherwise, it just gets a wipe-down with baby oil plus a patch with baby oil thru the bore and chambers. No problem with rust in the years I've been doing this.
Could be way off base here, but that's just the way I do it.

caryc

Hawkeye
Tru Oil is a linseed oil based product. If using a solvent to clean a gun I would advise taking off grips of any material.