SS Cylinder ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Denny Crane

Bearcat
I bought an OM SS (1964) a couple of months ago in near new condition but no box and it only had one cylinder. The frame says .22 Cal.

I ASSumed the cylinder was a LR but when it split some cases I started checking and now I am fairly sure it is a Mag cylinder. It has the last 3 digits of the serial number engraved, not stamped.

I see a cylinder on GB they are selling as a LR. The pictures show it to be just like the cylinder I have, with NO firing pin groove.

Do all of the LR cylinders have the firing pin groove?

Thanks

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, all LR cylinders should have a firing pin groove. Only know of one mfg by mistake without the groove.
You can tell the difference between the LR cylinder and a Mag. cylinder by looking throught he chambers. The Mag. cylinder will have a step near the end of each tube. LR cylinders are bored straight through.
And...if your cylinder has the last three digits of the serial number scratched on the front face, it originally left the factory as a convertible.
Chet15

americal

Hunter
Denney--you should be able to buy a LR cy.from someone on the forum :) if you want one--put a WTB o.m. 22 cy.in Classified section 8)

Denny Crane

Bearcat
When I bought it I didn't know if it had been a convertable but if so I figured the mag cyl was the one missing. I knew the mag cylinders had the last three digits on them but I guess I thought the LR cylinders also had them?

I would buy the one on GB because it is close enough to home to pick up but I am fairly sure it is a mag cylinder. Certainly doesn't have a firing pin groove. The guy says he tried a mag shell in it and it won't even slide in?

I will try the WTB on here when I have time to watch the replies.

Do I need to know any do's or don'ts before buying one?

Any vintage will work? The finish on this gun is like new so I would like one that matches as close as possible.

Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
We like your handle too!
Now,, a little more advice. Check the serial number. If it does NOT have a prefix, (20- or 60- example,) and has a straight line serial number,, make sure it's above 150000. The earlier ones should NOT have the 22 mag cylinders installed in them. Since your gun is missing a cylinder,, it's remotely possible someone just put in "whatever" cylinder that fit it. Just want you to be safe.
If the serial number has a prefix,, or has a higher number than 150000 you are safe.

Denny Crane

Bearcat
No prefix, 360*** and the engraved 3 digits on the mag cylinder do match.

I should have known it wasn't a LR cylinder.....must be the mad cow disease!

Thanks!

Denny Crane

Denny Crane

Bearcat
There is a recessed groove all the way around on the LR cylinders. The mag cylinders have a flat surface.

I had to find some pictures of both, now it makes sense. Of course after I started wondering and looking the mag cylinder is also machined different in the chamber.

It would have been too easy to roll stamp each type?

Everyday is a school day!

Denny Crane

flatgate

Hawkeye
Denny Crane":25xg43fh said:
It would have been too easy to roll stamp each type?

Ruger eventually did rollmark the .22 Mags., well into New Model production.

It takes a short glance to discern the two calibres of .22 cylinders. Unfortunately the Factory has NOT offered much help over the years.

flatgate