SS .32 H&R grip frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bkat

Blackhawk
Anybody know--Is the grip frame for the "baby vaquero" on the single-six frame called XRN-3 Red? Also, was this short frame used on the earlier .32 H&Rs, and has it ever been used on any other Ruger factory single-action?

Thanks,
Bkat

dougader

Hunter
AFAIK, its the same birds head grip frame that is used on the Vaquero Sheriff's model too. I don't think Ruger had but one size birds head grip frame.

Of course... I could be wrong.

I just picked one up off Midway and its marked Grip frame Bird's Head Single Six, Vaquero SS.

Ahhhh, never mind. I completely mis-read that! :oops:

gak

Buckeye
The "short" XR3-Red (KXR3) frame was only used on the later "baby Vaquero" fixed sight .32s and then only SOME. Although for awhile it seemed like most you'd see would be the shorts--a marketing move to appeal to women and youth CAS'ers--contrary to popular myth, many of the Vaquero style .32s were equipped with the regular XR3-Red frame as well...and would often be found (confusingly) side by side at retailers. To make matters worse, many store attendants were--or acted--completely oblivious/non-conversant to the fact that two different-size (gripped) plowhandle .32s were (being) produced....So it was (and remains long after production) "buyer beware" and highly recommending self-education before purchase.

Bkat

Blackhawk
Thanks gak. I didn't know regular XR3-REDs were used on these models. Do you know if the correct designation of the short grip is XRN3-RED (with the "N")? And did the earlier adjustable sights models use the short grip as well?

Bkat

street

Hunter
Here is what the model number on the box should be for the small grip frame.

384734860.jpg

Bkat

Blackhawk
Thanks street, nice consecutive SNs! Same catalog number as mine. I saw in RENE that the S means short grip and the I means simulated ivory. Still trying to find out if XRN-3 RED is the correct grip frame designation.

Bkat

gak

Buckeye
Bkat, I'm sorry I don't know the correct frame designation. I don't recall if that Gunblast article mentioned. Someone will chime in here. No shorter gripframes were used on the earlier adjustable-sight SS .32s, just the "regular" (larger) XR3-Red gripframe. The short-frame was unique to (some of) the later Vaquero style guns.

dougader

Hunter
Hard to know. I have a model 06512, or KSSM-4F-S-I, or the stainless single six 32 hrm, with the short "plow handle" grip with the Ruger Ivories attached.

Looking at the right side of the gripframe, cast into the frame there is only a "302" on the bottom, with a "T" in a circle on the right side and a sideways "K" on the left side. A worker scribed the last 3 digits of the serial number up near the ears of the grip frame.

Looking at the left side, there are no cast markings, but an "I" is scribed down near the bottom.

No other markings that might identify how Ruger used a designation for the short grips.

Bkat

Blackhawk
Doug, interesting. I've got the same model except it's blue. I'm looking at my grip frame now, and it also has a 302 on the bottom with the T in a circle on the side. On the other side there appears to be a hand-inscribed B--which I assume means "blue" since your K means stainless. Above is a stamped A or triangle within a stamped and recessed circle. The last 5 digits of my SN are hand inscribed near the ears.

On the left side there's a hand-inscribed 2 at the top and at the bottom what appears to be either a stamped 2 or just a casting mark.

Somewhere I thought I read that XRN-3 RED was the gripframe designation, but can't remember where I saw it.

Bkat

dougader":1of64nn5 said:
Hard to know. I have a model 06512, or KSSM-4F-S-I, or the stainless single six 32 hrm, with the short "plow handle" grip with the Ruger Ivories attached.

Looking at the right side of the gripframe, cast into the frame there is only a "302" on the bottom, with a "T" in a circle on the right side and a sideways "K" on the left side. A worker scribed the last 3 digits of the serial number up near the ears of the grip frame.

Looking at the left side, there are no cast markings, but an "I" is scribed down near the bottom.

No other markings that might identify how Ruger used a designation for the short grips.

Yep I have 4 of them 2 blue and 2 stainless
Part #s are XR00303 Blued KXR00303 Stainless 303 on the bottom of a steel frame. It is 1/4" shorter than the standard frame.
Jim

gak

Buckeye
Depending on whether you like the short frame to begin with (if not swap a regular XR3-Red frame in, or trade the gun off)...A few gripmakers who frequent RF I'm sure can help. Depending on what a gripmaker has on hand, they may (or may not) need the gripframe itself to pattern off of. PM me--or do a RF search (non specific to short frame)--for a contact if no one chimes in, but I'm sure they will and save you the trouble!

A couple of things.
Buy the Std. size and sand/file a 1/4" off of them which I did to a set of Eagle ones.
Some of the grip makers will make them to fit your frame.
The second set of Eagles were made for the short frame.
Anyway a 1/4" isn't much to take off.
The grip guys here will tell ya more info than me.
Jim

Bkat

Blackhawk
I checked some time ago to see if anyone had stock grips or could make a set without my sending them the gripframe, but had no luck. Cary offered to make me a set but needed the grip frame. Cary and I did figure out that they are the same as the XR3-RED grips, but a quarter inmch shorter. I did find a set of factory walnuts at CDNN but they didn't work. The left side fit fine but the other side did not. I'm wondering if those grips were designed for the internal lock version and if that's what kept them from fitting. The pin holes appeared to be in the right position.

Would love to hear if someone has aftermarket grips for sale.

Bkat

gak

Buckeye
It's possible they were looking ahead but I doubt it. The .32 SSs otherwise pre-dated the internal lock.

Bkat":m2enjv5x said:
I checked some time ago to see if anyone had stock grips or could make a set without my sending them the gripframe, but had no luck. Cary offered to make me a set but needed the grip frame. Cary and I did figure out that they are the same as the XR3-RED grips, but a quarter inmch shorter. I did find a set of factory walnuts at CDNN but they didn't work. The left side fit fine but the other side did not. I'm wondering if those grips were designed for the internal lock version and if that's what kept them from fitting. The pin holes appeared to be in the right position.

Would love to hear if someone has aftermarket grips for sale.

Bkat

Well there is a company by the name of Ruger that sells them.
A couple of weeks ago I sent back a set of fake Ivories that were cracked when I received the one gun. This was about 4 years ago that I bought these 4 guns. Well Ruger sent me a new set along with my old ones back at no charge. How cool is that.
Anyway I know they have the Ivory ones. Call and see if they have the wood ones. Like I said you can fit a std. pair in no time.
Yes Eagle grips sells them or did. They will fit your frame.
Jim

Bkat

Blackhawk
Checked the Ruger site and all they had were the faux ivory grips. Already got those. May have to try homemade, like you say, but boy they'll be ugly, based on my other failed woodworking projects.

Bkat

Latest posts