SRM question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ok, problem here... Went and decided to Bisley-ize the maximum. All went well until it was time to re-install the trigger pin. The spring tool doesn't align with the spring like it does on the regular cylinder frames so it was NOT fun putting the pin back in. Needless to say compressing the spring by hand is quite difficult. Got it in, everything looked right and the grip frame went on. Now the action works but opening the loading gate is all but impossible and it's loose when in the closed posisition. HELP!

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Ruger releives SOME grip frames at the factory depending on how the cylinder latch/loading gate spring sits. Evaluate your take off and see if a depression has been machined in the grip frame where the front of said spring hits. If there is one, and it's not there on your bisley, you can:
1) cut a similar recess in the bisley grip frame, or:
2) swap in springs till you get one that fits right.

I have done number 2 on at least two grip frame swaps and have had no further problems. BTW, I just moved my LAST alloy grip frame out (at least the ones on a gun). ALL STEEL RUGER sixguns for me now! (thanks REP1954)

Pinecone

Blackhawk
BlkHawk73, Aggie01 is right on the "money" on both counts. The last three loading gate springs I bought were all "different" sizes albeit slight, but enough to make opening the gate very difficult in some frames. A good many of the frames do need "relief" cuts in my past experience working on Ruger SA's. Also, if you check the archives, you'll see a pic of the "tool" I made for depressing the loading gate springs that has worked very well for me for a good many years. It was made out of a 100 year old pair of pliers!......................Dick

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Thanx I'll give it a check. Just never had this issue before in changing frames around.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Gave it all a check, took it apart again and such. It's not as loose, but there is 1/32 forward/rearward movement of the loading gate and it's darn hard to open. Is it possible I over-compressed the spring while re-inserting the trigger pin and somehow mis-shaped it? It's tough spring steel so that would take a lot - just narrowing it down.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
BlkHawk73, Take a look at the "tip" of the spring that contacts the loading gate "stud". You may have to "round" that off as well as "smoothing" that portion of the stud it contacts. Another thing to look at: does the gate move "freely" without the spring installed. Also, you "will" have slight movement of the gate when it is "closed" (with spring installed) because of a lesser spring pressure. However, when it is "opened", heavier spring pressure is present and there should not be any appreciable movement of it. I have found these gate "problems" can sometimes get very tedious in correcting them that's why I like to carry a good supply of springs! By swapping springs around you can sometimes come up with the right combination you are looking for. I doubt you over-compressed the spring as they are quite resilient. This calls for one of them times when you have to really "study" what the gun is doing (how it's acting) to come up with the proper correction. If you have another Blackhawk, you can try it's gate and spring in the Maximum to see how "that" combination works..................................Dick

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Oh, have plenty of others to compare to. Just odd that this all worked flawlessly before I changed the grip frame, hammer and trigger around. Changing the spring with another one isn't all that easy with the max as the spring tool doesn't exactly work well with this model so I gotta compress the spring by hand to get the trigger pin installed - NOT easy to do.
I'll take another look. Still seems odd...done a bunch of change-overs of these parts and never yet had an issue. Hmmmm...Grrrr...

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've had some similar troubles over the years. It might have been with a Maxi........ I dunno, can't remember.

Exercise some patience and you'll get it fixed.

:D

flatgate