SRH in .454 Casull???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GreySmoke

Bearcat
I'm new to this forum because I'm looking at a Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.
I've searched this forum and did not find as much on them as I thought I would. I'm looking for a "FUN" gun for the range. I could have had a Stainless 7.5" .44 but I said what the heck wait for the .454 in Target Grey, besides I can shoot .45LC also. Not sure which is actually harder ammo to find but either will make a big bang... :D

So if anyone else here has one of these hand cannons, please let me know I'm doing the right thing!!!!

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
The largest I have is a SRH 44mag target gray 7.5" in 44mag. To me it has all the blast & power most guys would need. If you were hunting you could go all the way up to a max loading with a hardcast bullet. Most of my shooting is done with mild loads, even some 44 special. Yes the 454 will give you a little more 'wow' factor but the 44 mag is nothing to sneeze at.

What about your experience with handguns? 357 mag & up? A 6" 357 is also a fine choice if you don't have one yet. Any hunting plans in the future? I wouldn't make the jump to a 454 unless you have shot a fair amount of handguns. If you do want a 454 the SRH is a fine choice & would help tame it some.

GreySmoke

Bearcat
I currently shoot .22lr, 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp & .223, at about 1000rds a month. I am 6' 1" tall and 375lbs. I should be able to handle just about anything. I'll probably shoot .45lc cowboy loads mostly but every once in a while I'll shoot the heavy casull. Besides my 140lb nephew has a 6" 357...LOL

bigchillymn

Bearcat
First of all welcome to the forum. I shoot a 454 as well as a couple 0f 44 mags, size really has nothing to do with it, my 120# grandson has shot as many as 60, 300 grain 454s with accuracy, at one session. Hey, I say buy what you want and have fun. A word of caution on shooting 45s through the 454, after each session, clean the chambers really well, I actually use a .500 brush for this. The slight build up you get from the 45s can actually cause the 454s to extract hard, bulge the brass, or even worse. good luck with your purchase. let us know what you decide

GreySmoke

Bearcat
Thanks bigchillymn,
I have done some research on the SRH and have read about the cleaning. Although I appreciate the tip on the .500 brush. Also heard that when mixing .45lc and .454 casull shoot the casull first then the 45lc to avoid the problem you mention.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
That's a lot of shooting Greysmoke. The 454 SRH would be well tamed with some 45 colt loads when full power was not called for.

CraigC

Hawkeye
GreySmoke":ddpw2njl said:
I am 6' 1" tall and 375lbs. I should be able to handle just about anything.
Physical size and strength has very, very little to do with handling recoil. Recoil control is 90% mental and 10% physical. For the most part recoil is absorbed in the hands, wrists and forearms. Which is NOT to say that huge arms will be of much help either. So the rest of your 375lbs is of very little advantage. The majority of the physical aspect is toughening yourself to recoil and that means shooting. In short, I've been shooting the .44Mag since age 16 and the reason I can handle it better now than then is not the +100lbs I've gained but the built-up resilience, mental and physical.

The .44Mag will probably be plenty for what you want and ammo will be both easier to find and cheaper.

mraywi

Single-Sixer
I have a SRH 44. I am eventually getting a SRH 454 strictly for 45. I really like the SRH and really like 45 colt. I have a lot of different 44's and 45's but the SRH is a great package,really nice for the money!!

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I would say get what you want, but the .44 mag ammo is so much cheaper and easier to find. Also, some people don't like the Target Gray finish. I personally think my 9.5" stainless SRH .44 mag is enough fun. It has "wow" factor at the range, and it is INCREDIBLY accurate.

If you're set on the larger-bore gun, you might want to consider a Smith and Wesson .460 XVR, because it will shoot .460 S&W mag, .454, and .45 LC (which feels like shooting a .22 out of that thing). It's fun and very accurate, and you have even more versatility.

Just my 2 cents worth...

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
I own a .454 and a couple of .44s and love both calibers. I think given one choice, I would go with the .454. You can load .45LC in .454 cases if you don't want to shoot the real barn burners, and you can load .45 to the same power factor as a .44 Mag with only 80% of the pressure. John Linebaugh writes about this. I think my .44s tend to be a little more accurate that my FA .454, but you won't go wrong with either..

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
My dad shoots a taget grey 454 SRH. It's not his favorite gun but he has no REAL gripes with it. He ordered it from a shop not even realizing that there was such a thing as the target grey finish (this was right after they came out with the TG finish). He was shocked when he first opened up the box. He almost sent it back but just decided to "live with it." His shoots well.

It's nice being able to shoot the casulls and the colts out of the same gun. I went with a S&W 460V just to take that theme one step further. The 454 is nice to reload for. We load up some powder-puff 454's that boom less than a 45 colt cowboy load. The hot 454's are a whole other story, however. I would try it out if I were you. If things don't work out with it then you will always be able to flip it for a decent amount of green.

Hawker Man

Bearcat
To me the 454 would not be a fun gun at the range, great as a hunter but no fun especially after 150 or 200 rounds, recoil and price wise. If you want a fun range gun I think you need to find something more economical and with less recoil. I don't care who you are or how big a fellow you are you will be shooting better with a 45 ACP than a 454 after 200 rounds. For me the fun is in hitting the target and a small group shot after shot. Sure a big boomer is fun for a few shots, but it gets old mighty quick.
I believe 45 ACP is cheaper than 45 LC and if you shoot 45 LC in a 454 you will need to clean the carbon from those chambers.
I just started reloading and have found a nice easy shooting 357 MAG load that I think I could shoot all day long and I don't have to mess with the 38 Special in the 357 MAG gun, same as the 45 LC the 454.
These are just my thoughts on the subject, enjoy what ever you decide to do, just keep shooting. It's good for the soul.
Tom

Nard

Bearcat
I've posted this here before, me shooting some 300 grain JSP's and a good dose of 2400 off of my "custom" bench. I think the trick to heavy recoiling handguns is to let the gun recoil, don't try to hold it down or fight if you do it will hurt you. I try to use the same grip with my .454 as I do with a .357. If it wants to buck up over your head let it! I am about to start loading for a 4 inch S&W 500, maybe it will be as easy as my .454!

J.B.
IMG_1653.jpg

GreySmoke

Bearcat
Well based on everyones great feedback I went and put a bid on one in Gunbroker for a SRH .454.Casull 7.5" I like the Target Grey.
The S&W .460 was out of my price range. As for my capabilities with a .45acp here is a recent Range visit with my EAA Witness Elite Stock .45acp.
RangeRpt310_Stock45.jpg

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I enjoy my .454 and load lots of "cowboy type" loads in .454 cases, 250g RNFP with Trail Boss powder. Nothing like shooting the full house loads though.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I have been looking at the .454 for a few years now. Walked into my local toy shop on Friday and they had a SRH .454 71/2 inch in the brushed stainless finish NIB for $750. Got it in the Monday after I was there last so its been there a week. Now its on the safe behind the counter with my name on it. Get to take it home in a few weeks when the big paychecks start flowing in again.

Im thinking Colt +P loads, Ruger Only Colt loads and .454 Casull loads all in the same gun.

Its good to be me.

GreySmoke

Bearcat
Well I didn't win the .454 Super Redhawk :cry:
But I was also watching a 7.5".44 Super Redhawk w/2x Scope and won that auction so now the wait to receive my new cannon... :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
Nard":j95hc5zz said:
I think the trick to heavy recoiling handguns is to let the gun recoil, don't try to hold it down or fight if you do it will hurt you. I try to use the same grip with my .454 as I do with a .357. If it wants to buck up over your head let it!
Exactly!!! I think some folks think they can strongarm a heavy sixgun and win. It just ain't true. That locked-elbow isosceles stance the autojammers use just doesn't work either in this application. Bend those elbows and let the gun recoil.

Latest posts