SR9C Trigger Problem (Fixed)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

treefarmernc

Bearcat
I also mentioned this in another tread dealing with a chip issue that seems to be common with the barrel opening on SR9C slides.

The only major problem I have had with my SR9C is the trigger is frequently sticking back when fired. For the most part it sticks just for a second or even just a half second after releasing the trigger. It did not happen during every magazine but did happen with both magazines that came with the gun. During the first 40 rounds it did stick a few times that required me to lightly tap the trigger to get it to release. After that it would release on it own. At this point I believe that I have put enough through it (225 rounds) to call this a problem that needs to be taken up with Ruger's repair department. I am just curious of who else may have had this problem with either of the SR9s' or any other guns' safety triggers.

Other than this problem I experienced 2 jams that happened while loading a fresh magazine with the slide locked back and then sling-shot to load it. Both times the round would not chamber all the way. The first (at round 101) was jammed tight enough that I could not rack the slide to clear it. I had to hit the slide forward to complete the chambering thin fire it to get it out. The second (About 140)racked out easily. I also have a dull spot on the under side of the trigger guard that looks as though it was missed during the polishing stage.

On the lighter side, I shot this gun well. I found it very accurate and recoil minimal. If me and Ruger can get the bugs out of it I believe I will be very happy with it.
AHHHHH… the life of a new gun guinea pig!!! :lol:

Edit:
See update 11 post down.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Mine is doing the same, so I call Ruger and they want me to send my pistol back in. Crap! Does your 10 rounder work fine? Mine does.

treefarmernc

Bearcat
Ruger Nut10":1n90lygu said:
Mine is doing the same, so I call Ruger and they want me to send my pistol back in. Crap! Does your 10 rounder work fine? Mine does.

I had the problem with both the 10 and 17 round mags. Does yours have the dull finish under the trigger guard?

balloo93

Bearcat
Just speculating, but it could be the (what feels like) and very heavy magazine spring. More than likely once it breaks in it won't have that many issues.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
The only major problem I have had with my SR9C is the trigger is frequently sticking back when fired. For the most part it sticks just for a second or even just a half second after releasing the trigger. It did not happen during every magazine but did happen with both magazines that came with the gun. During the first 40 rounds it did stick a few times that required me to lightly tap the trigger to get it to release

Did you REALLY clean the gun before using it?
Not being a smarta$$ :roll:

treefarmernc

Bearcat
Did you REALLY clean the gun before using it?
Not being a smarta$$

Yes I did do a thorough cleaning before shooting, and then again after the first 125 rounds and it still happened during the final 100. It has been cleaned again, the slide racked a couple of hundred times, the trigger action exercised and dry fired, and I plan on sending 50 more through it tomorrow. If it is still having the problem I will probably send it to Ruger.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
balloo93":txxtce5x said:
Just speculating, but it could be the (what feels like) and very heavy magazine spring. More than likely once it breaks in it won't have that many issues.

thats my guess..I could barely get the 10 in the stock mag and I actually had to use the tool to get more than 11 in the 17 round mag..so I filled both up and while I was waiting for my holster they sat loaded..id load and unload them every other day to try to break in the spring..the 10 rounder is now perfect and the 17 rounder I can get 15 in now B4 I have to go to the tool..so it will be good in a week also. But yeah id have to admit they were pretty stout springs.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Texasgunner":zlb1u3hr said:
[ Did you REALLY clean the gun before using it?
Not being a smarta$$ :roll:

Hey Texas, I took the gun apart when new, sprayed it a lot with Birchwood-Casey non-flammable Gun Scrubber, installed GHOST Ultimate 3.5# trigger, lightly polished the rails, slide and anything that looked critical, took apart and removed the magazine disconnect as per Josh Hearne, degunked and cleaned and oiled the inside of the striker "tunnel". Reassembled without the mainspring, oiled sliding surfaces and racked it back and forth by hand 300 times. Put in mainspring and cycled and dry-fired 300 times.
Then, I took it to the range and fired it 217 times (ran out of time and ammo) with mixed ammo, mostly Win White Box, some CorBon JHP. Next time, I would buy the Ghost Rocket to get rid of overtravel.
I had read in this forum about so many problems that I thought I would overdo the preliminaries. It was well worth it to me. I used leather glove to do the slingshot so many times to keep meat on my fingers.
Sonnytoo

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
Hey Texas, I took the gun apart when new, sprayed it a lot with Birchwood-Casey non-flammable Gun Scrubber, installed GHOST Ultimate 3.5# trigger, lightly polished the rails, slide and anything that looked critical, took apart and removed the magazine disconnect as per Josh Hearne, degunked and cleaned and oiled the inside of the striker "tunnel". Reassembled without the mainspring, oiled sliding surfaces and racked it back and forth by hand 300 times. Put in mainspring and cycled and dry-fired 300 times.
Then, I took it to the range and fired it 217 times (ran out of time and ammo) with mixed ammo, mostly Win White Box, some CorBon JHP. Next time, I would buy the Ghost Rocket to get rid of overtravel.
I had read in this forum about so many problems that I thought I would overdo the preliminaries. It was well worth it to me. I used leather glove to do the slingshot so many times to keep meat on my fingers.
Sonnytoo

Sounds like you covered it-
I'm wanting a SR9c for my wife (she loves my SR9) so i'm following most of the SR9c threads 8)

treefarmernc

Bearcat
Update.

As I have said, after the last firing session (at 225 spent rounds last week) I have been working with the trigger and slide functions of my SR9C. On Saturday I put 115 more through it and am happy to report not even one trigger hang up. So it seems that it was a break in issue.

Only one question remains and that is if anybody else with the SR9 or SR9C has the dull area on the underside of the trigger guard. To me it looks like that one area was missed during final polishing but at the same time it could be meant to be that way. I plan on contacting Ruger about it but wanted input from the field before I did.

At this point my impressions of the SR9C are that it is a good conceal carry piece that compares in size and function to the Glock 26 and the Taurus PT111. I find the SR9C conceals thinner than the Glock much like the Taurus due to the thinner slide and grip of the SR over the Glock. The only place that the Ruger is wider than the Glock is where the ambidextrous safety levers are, which are not noticeable in an IWB holster (to me). The frame width at the slid is virtually the same as the Glock but with the slimmer grip and slide the SR actually rides slimmer overall. The shorter grip makes the SR print less than the longer grip of the Taurus, much like the Glock's shorter grip.

The SR9C is accurate, at which I am much better with than I am with my Taurus PT111 Mill. Pro. Most of my groupings were within 2 inches or less at 10 yards compared to my 4-5 inches that I got with the Taurus. The majority if this difference is probably due to the greater weight of the SR over the PT111 helping with recoil and disguising my lack of skill. I have little personal experience with shooting the Glock 26 but from what I seen of others with the Glock, it and the SR are similar in accuracy.

Over all I like the SR9C and if it stays clear of problems the next trip or two to the range I will probably make it my primary carry piece. :D

I also posted this on "The Firing Line Fourms"

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Some one else inquired about the dull finish on the trigger guard in another thread. Mine is the exact same way.

pb

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
If we are looking at the same area, that is where the molding line was buffed out.
Look forward, towards the end of the gun and you can see where the mold line is on the rail.
If your is like mine, it is not exactly straight.
I figure they polish the trigger guard as many people have their fingers on the guard when firing, anywhere on the bottom all the way to the front of the guard. With a "line" sticking out, it would be uncomfortable after several rounds, so this line is buffed out.
Just my thought on it when I looked at the guns before buying them and knowing a little about manufacturing.

treefarmernc

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies; I was worried that it was something missed during manufacture. Would be interesting to hear exactly why it is that way but I am satisfied to know that is not a defect.

nhlever

Bearcat
I agree competely with Wayne. There is a parting line there in the mold, and it leaves a ridge on the trigger guard which is buffed out to make the gun more comfortable to shoot.