SR9c Striker Blocker & Trigger Quality???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR9c-Fan

Bearcat
Has anyone tried putting a lighter 'striker blocker spring' into their SR series gun and, if so, has it helped smooth out the feel of the trigger's pre-travel?
Would this modification help? The trigger on my SR9c isn't as smooth on the take-up as some other SR9c's I've tried and I wondered if that little bump I feel, and the sound of a spring going back just before it hits the wall is related to what seems to be a VERY powerful spring under the blocker. I slightly rounded the top of my striker blocker and polished it up nicely to see if the blocker was the culprit here, and while that seemed to help the trigger still isn't where I'd like it to be. (This modification was a real benefit to the trigger on my S&W M&P .45.) Now, granted I haven't fired this pistol much at all yet (I've only had it a week), but... :?: :?:

jhearne

Buckeye
The best thing you can do for the trigger is installing a Ghost Trigger Connector. Other than that you can polish after installation to smooth up the take-up and pre-travel. Really smooths up the stacking problems.

When you say you rounded it, you mean you put a radius on the contact point of the Striker Blocker yes? That would help some, but putting too much of a radius will remove too much metal and shorten the length (possibly, though not likely) you have for the Blocker to travel. Doing so could cause it to not work properly. One of those things that could happen, but probably would be fine.

The springs in the SR9/c are stout, putting a lighter one might help, but to what effect it has on the gun's trigger is an unknown. From what I've seen examining that part of the gun, it's not the easiest piece to get out though it's pretty straight forward.

Josh

SR9c-Fan

Bearcat
Thanks, jjearne. I did polish all the appropriate parts, and it did help, but my trigger still isn't of the same quality as some other guns.

Yes... I put a slight radius on the blocker being careful not to shorten its length. Perhaps it helped, but I did the polish job at the same time, so.... I don't know if both mods helped or just the one. Poor scientific method on my part.

Getting the blocker out is easy. You just need to take out all the striker components and then nudge out the extractor pivot pin so the extractor pops out and frees the blocker and spring.

jhearne

Buckeye
I figure a small/slight radius won't hurt, but may not help it either. Try the Ghost Triggers, not expensive at all, and most of the response here has been good, I'm going to be ordering mine here soon.

Josh

SR9c-Fan

Bearcat
Well... I installed a Ghost 'Tactical' and I'm very pleased with the result. The trigger is a little heavier than the original..maybe 6 pounds rather than five, but I love the over-travel stop.

Also.... I did cut a few coils from the trigger blocker spring...and it did what I hoped it might. It's a much smoother take-up now.

KarylMatt

Bearcat
wanna buy a video blocker,jammerall and jammerfromchina ,which one is better ?safe?

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I installed the Ghost drop in trigger bar. also added an extra power striker spring and REMOVED the mag disconnect altogether. I do not view this as a safety feature, I see it as a feature that will turn a pistol into a brick. accidently bumped my mag release getting out of my chair, the mag was loose but not out. at that point I did not even have a single shot.

revhigh

Hawkeye
For the life of me .... icant understand why people buy guns with crappy triggers. There are plenty of guns with good triggers outbof the box.

No matter how much I like a gun or how cheap it is .... (which I think is what most people here value most) ... if it has a crappy trigger out of the box ... its no sale.

REV

GKC

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
There are plenty of guns with good triggers outbof the box.

What do you recommend? I'm interested in current production, polymer framed, striker fired pistols.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
GKC said:
I'm interested in current production, polymer framed, striker fired pistols.

Why?
So you limit your choices to a collection of plastico striker pistols and want someone to recommend a dumb pistol from the bunch in lieu of a pistol that is more a work of art in comparison.

revhigh

Hawkeye
GKC said:
revhigh said:
There are plenty of guns with good triggers outbof the box.

What do you recommend? I'm interested in current production, polymer framed, striker fired pistols.

Ok ... With those parameters ... Glock ... it's the best you'll get ... They work for millions of people, including many LEO's ... So they just plain work, and with practice and training ... Can be excellent shooters ...

Why you would put those parameters on a gun with respect to a quality carry gun I'm not sure ... But since you did ... Glock.

Now you're gonna say you don't like Glocks .... So buy what you want ... or live with the characteristics of your SR, which I'm sure was your behind the scenes decision anyway.

REV

GKC

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz said:
Why?
So you limit your choices to a collection of plastico striker pistols and want someone to recommend a dumb pistol from the bunch in lieu of a pistol that is more a work of art in comparison.

A couple of answers come to mind...

One: I didn't say that was the ONLY type of pistol I ever want, or have ever had. In fact, in my lifetime I've owned 128 handguns of various types, including revolvers (double action and single action) and semiautos (1911s, and many hammer fired as well as striker fired model guns.) The criteria I mentioned is what I am considering for my next purchase.

Two: I've owned pistols that were "works of art" (at least in my opinion) like a Colt Python, an Anniversary Colt 1911, and others; I've owned "working" pistols, too...guns that I can carry and not worry about getting wear, scratches, etc. I'm looking for another good working gun, and not a safe queen that I have to handle with kid gloves and never shoot.

I hope that is OK. :lol:

GKC

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Ok ... With those parameters ... Glock ... it's the best you'll get ... They work for millions of people, including many LEO's ... So they just plain work, and with practice and training ... Can be excellent shooters ...

Why you would put those parameters on a gun with respect to a quality carry gun I'm not sure ... But since you did ... Glock.

Now you're gonna say you don't like Glocks .... So buy what you want ... or live with the characteristics of your SR, which I'm sure was your behind the scenes decision anyway.

See my answer to Cheesewhiz above for more clarification.

I have owned several Glocks, including a G17, G19, G26, G21SF, G23, G30SF, and G36. Other than the G36, I didn't care for the grip, since I have small hands. They aren't bad guns at all...just not my favorite.

When it comes to Ruger handguns, I've owned a SR9, SR9c, SR45, P95, Vaquero, GP100, SP101, an Alaskan, a SR1911, and a Blackhawk. I think Ruger makes good guns, and I like the company. Maybe I am easier to please, or less discerning, but I don't think the triggers on most of the guns I own or have owned are all that bad. The best triggers in my experience are on 1911s, but I don't like to carry a 1911. I've owned a lot of guns from a variety of manufacturers, and in a variety of styles and configurations...and I don't limit myself to only one type.

As for why I put the parameters or criteria that I did, I refer you again to the answer above. 8)

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Over the years, I have owned or shot a lot of Glocks, SR-9's and SR-9c's.

Although all the various Glocks had all the regular Glock parts, as did the SR's, not all the Glock triggers were equal coming out of the box. Maybe it depends on various parts smoothness / roughness or tolerance stack up or phase of the moon or ???, I do not know. All I know is that some were winners right out of the box and some needed help right out of the box to become acceptable.

The point of this post is that, like most things, trigger and their feel cannot be "painted with a broad brush". I do not think you can say "Glock triggers are great" or "Glock triggers suck". A lot of the time it depends on the particular pistol. Some start out in life with a different feel although they are using the same parts. A little polishing and proper lube can sometimes make a lot of difference in the feel. Some times it takes a little experimentation to determine which piece of the system is the culprit. Sometimes it needs replacing to fix it.

All the above applies to Ruger's SR series also.

GKC

Blackhawk
NewportNewsMike said:
The point of this post is that, like most things, trigger and their feel cannot be "painted with a broad brush".

This is very true...and there is a subjective element too. If the shooter is used to shooting DA revolvers, then an 8 lb trigger pull isn't going to "feel" too bad. If the shooter is used to shooting a good 1911, then no striker-fired pistol is going to feel good by comparison.

A note about variations out of the box: a couple of years ago, Bersa released their first polymer, striker fired pistol, the BP9CC. I bought one, and it had the lightest trigger I have ever felt on any pistol, 1911s included. It was under 3 lbs, as it came out of the box. It was very smooth, with almost no travel and no stacking...very short reset...but also very scary, especially since it didn't have a safety. It honestly only took a touch to set it off. Others raved about their BP9CCs, saying the trigger pull was around 4 lbs...still awfully light for a concealed carry gun with no safety, IMO...so I sold mine, the one and only gun I've ever owned on which the trigger pull was TOO good.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I think that many have decided that having a Glock or a Glock like gun makes them more on the cutting edge as many LE use them.

It's a settlement in the end. There are some great guns out there based on the hammer fired SA/DA designs of the old days, LOL.

Striker and plastic guns aren't new by any stretch, the first striker fired pistols date back to the turn of the 19 century and plastic being used in gun making dates back to the fifties.

My biggest issue with the plastic fantasticos is they just don't have the same touch every time, you can pull those triggers and they break at slightly to drastic points of motion depending on said quality. The guns flex in your hands and exacerbate the issue.

I own a fair amount of plastic pistols, if that's all someone has or appreciates, they lead a very sad life.

GKC

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz said:
I own a fair amount of plastic pistols, if that's all someone has or appreciates, they lead a very sad life.

I don't know...different people gauge the happiness of their lives by different criteria. Why, I've even heard of people who don't own any guns at all, and they think they lead a happy life. :shock: :lol:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
GKC said:
Cheesewhiz said:

I don't know...different people gauge the happiness of their lives by different criteria. Why, I've even heard of people who don't own any guns at all, and they think they lead a happy life. :shock: :lol:

The question would be, how happy they are that you have a gun whether it's plastic or not?

GKC

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz said:
The question would be, how happy they are that you have a gun whether it's plastic or not?

To be honest, I don't really care if anyone else is happy or not that I own guns. I believe that if you don't want to own a gun, then don't...if you do, then do...but don't tell me what I can/should own.

Now, if someone wants to buy me a gun, I'll be glad for them to tell me what I get...but if I'm paying for it, I will buy what I like. 8)

Latest posts