SR9c Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sargents1

Single-Sixer
So I recently acquired an SR9c from a friend. He and his lady had broken up and 'her' SR9c did not go with her when she left. So, a few dollar bills later I was the proud owner of one slightly used SR9 compact.

here she is, the gun, not the ex ladyfriend.

IMG_7898_zps073e2839.jpg

So, today I managed to get some free time when the kids were napping and I snuck off to the range.
IMG_7896_zpsfacbf293.jpg

I brought an assortment of victuals for the SR9 to digest.
IMG_7893_zps9d5347d0.jpg

after a few warmups I fired this group, a full 17rd mag plus a 10rd mag at about 20yds.
IMG_7899_zpsc9885ad3.jpg

Its not the type of accuracy you would expect from a G&A review or other professional review, but I am decidedly not a professional gun reviewer.

I fired about 100rds of steel case ammo, Tula and Blazer. I ended up not shooting the PPU or Herterz brass.

Shooting impressions.
- this bugger has some bark for a 9mm. I am used to shooting full sized 9mms like my P85 and the M&P9 that I also brought with me today. This thing is a different sort of animal. The smaller grip, frame and slide along with the polymer frame combine to make this a bit of a handfull. It is still controllable and relatively accurate but when compared to a full size gun, it shows its limitations. I should note that this is not unexpected. You can't downsize a gun without tradeoffs.

The trigger on this gun is a Lot like a glock. It might even be a little better.

For most of my session today it ran like a top, but I did have one FTF where a live round failed to chamber. It was the last round in the magazine and a quick tap-rack cleared the jamb and the round fired on the second try.
IMG_7897_zpsa0939dae.jpg

I cannot say whether or not the malfunction was operator error or an actual problem with the gun. It did not happen again so I am inclined to believe it was me being the gorilla-handed schmuck I am.

More pics
IMG_7892_zps1b4f9386.jpg

That's it for now.

Update: I re-linked the pics to the article after moving things around at my pic hosting site.

My buddy is now back with his girlfriend...But I'm keeping the SR9 :) He said he doesnt want it back because he was sick of messing with the sights. Funny, I havent touched them and i think they are ok.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The trigger on this gun is a Lot like a glock. It might even be a little better.

The trigger on mine is far superior to the two Glocks I have shot. The trigger was one of the main selling points to me. I tried several brands/models before buying. The SR9c was the one I kept coming back to.

WayneJessie

Bearcat
Yes, my SR9C trigger is what a Glock's should be. I like the black nitride slide. I'd trade my stainless version for one if it were possible.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I would love to have the SR9c trigger on my LC9! I love my SR9c, but the LC9 is so much easier to carry. The SR9c ended up being my nightstand gun....

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
If the Glock triggers were more like the SR9c you'd hear about lots more cases "Glock leg". :mrgreen:
I have the stainless upper and really like the looks of the black nitride better. Oh well.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
carbonyl said:
If the Glock triggers were more like the SR9c you'd hear about lots more cases "Glock leg". :mrgreen:
I have the stainless upper and really like the looks of the black nitride better. Oh well.

Mines all black. Because of the trigger, I use the thumb safety all of the time!!

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
I have played with a number of Rentals at my range. As stated all the compacts "kick harder" than their full-size counterparts. That said, I think the SR9c is one of the better compacts in terms of Felt Recoil. Part of that may be ergonomics and my long skinny fingers so your mileage may vary...as always.

WayneJessie

Bearcat
Some steel cased ammo is a malfunction waiting to happen. My "cheap" ammo is WWB or Federal USA made brass ammo. Never had a malfunction of any kind in my SR9C or my other guns except for one and that gun needed an update from the factory. I know times are tough with ammo supply and prices but alot of malfunctions are due to various offshore and poor quality ammo.

fergusfergus

Bearcat
I have question. When the slide is back, I noticed if I used some force when inserting a loaded magazine, it would rack the slide for me. Is this normal? I actually kind of like it. Just wondering if it is supposed to do that. Other than that I have not had any problems with my SR9C. Over 500 rounds and no jam. Just need a holster now and more ammo.

mty55

Bearcat
Nice acquisition. I've put about 300 round through mine in the past few weeks. Mostly Winchester WB and a handful of Speer Gold Dots. It has performed flawlessly. Accuracy has been superb. The only thing I can say I seen as a minor flaw, was the front sight was about an 1/8" off center to the left. I'm a lefty and thought maybe I was pushing my shots to the right. Well it was way to consistant to be a push. This morning I went to the range after drifting the sight to the center. Fired two 5 shot string 9 out of 10 in the 10 ring. All is good. :D

sargents1

Single-Sixer
mty55 said:
Nice acquisition. I've put about 300 round through mine in the past few weeks. Mostly Winchester WB and a handful of Speer Gold Dots. It has performed flawlessly. Accuracy has been superb. The only thing I can say I seen as a minor flaw, was the front sight was about an 1/8" off center to the left. I'm a lefty and thought maybe I was pushing my shots to the right. Well it was way to consistant to be a push. This morning I went to the range after drifting the sight to the center. Fired two 5 shot string 9 out of 10 in the 10 ring. All is good. :D

If you look at the target I posted, I was pushing my shots to the left pretty consistently (I shoot right handed most of the time). I find that is the case many times for me. I have to really concentrate to avoid doing that when shooting a handgun.

I have no complaints about the accuracy. I was keeping my shots on paper at 60+ft from a standing position. I figure that is good enough.

mty55

Bearcat
sargents1 said:
mty55 said:

If you look at the target I posted, I was pushing my shots to the left pretty consistently (I shoot right handed most of the time). I find that is the case many times for me. I have to really concentrate to avoid doing that when shooting a handgun.

I have no complaints about the accuracy. I was keeping my shots on paper at 60+ft from a standing position. I figure that is good enough.

Hi Sargent, I hope you didn't take my post as criticism. I'd be more than happy with a group like that at that range. I was just trying to point out how much I liked my SR9c and the only gripe I had was the off centered front sight. Cured that and I'm a very happy SR9c owner.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
mty55 said:
Hi Sargent, I hope you didn't take my post as criticism. I'd be more than happy with a group like that at that range. I was just trying to point out how much I liked my SR9c and the only gripe I had was the off centered front sight. Cured that and I'm a very happy SR9c owner.

No not at all. I started writing before I fully read thru your comment. I was going to suggest you have someone else shoot your SR9 in order to diagnose whether or not the sights were off or you were pushing your shots. Then I finished reading your post where you stated you had adjusted the sights and cured the problem.

This is what happens sometimes when I'm trying to squeeze a comment in while I am doing other things. :)

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
Seems a number of SR9c's need a bit of sight adjustment out of the box. I had to crank the elevation all the way down on my rear sight and drift it slightly to the left before I got it to hit point of aim.
(and for the record this was only after establishing it shot the same for a number of shooters).

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
WVGIRL said:
SO low left my not be me???
Maybe not.

First I would try to have other people shoot it. Hopefully that is an option for you. Even if you don't have a shooting buddy, spouse, etc, if you are at a well populated range most anyone would be happy to put a few rounds down range for you (and its a good way to strike up a conversation if you are interested in meeting new people). Just ask them to pick a consistent aim point as you are trying to establish a trend on the grouping.

If other folks are grouping around point of aim, then you probably have something to work on. Most of us do :)

If they are grouping low left as well, then it is time to look at adjusting your sights. Good news is, the SR9c's are designed to be "easily" adjustable. Elevation is a breeze, drifting can be a pain but definately well within "do it yourself" territory.

NOW...a final caveat. It is your gun. If you are the only shooter, and you have worked on your technique, then make the gun work for you. Everybody is different, which is part of the reason that the sights are adjustable in the first place.

Latest posts