sr9c reload/slide jam

Help Support Ruger Forum:

naterbomb

Bearcat
Hello, I have a fairly new (probably fired 300 rounds) Ruger SR9C. I was attempting to load the pistol and manually pulled back the slide to chamber the bullet. When I did this the slide only went about 2/3 of the way back and the round only came about halfway out of the magazine, not quite going into the barrel. At this time, I could pull the slide back to the lock position but the bullet stayed in place and when I slid the slide forward it once again got stuck at the same spot. Luckily, I was able to release the magazine and guide it and the partially chambered round out of the gun. This is the first problem I have had with this gun and seems it very unsafe. As a novice to the pistol world, I am not comfortable repeating the process to see whats going on. When unloaded without a magazine the slide follows it's full motion forward and back fine. When an unloaded magazine is inserted, it also functions normally (slide locks when pulled back, then goes all the way forward when released). Only with a loaded magazine does this issue occur. I have field stripped the gun and did not notice anything out of place. As my carry firearm, this worries me and I need to make sure it operates flawlessly. Do you have any ideas as to what could be causing this issue. This is supposed to be a quality firearm and I can't believe I am already having this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

naterbomb

Bearcat
I believe I have found the solution. I simply was not letting the slide forward with enough force, causing the bullet to angle funny and only partially chamber, therefor jamming the slide. When I let the slide, sling full force, there is no more issue. Let me know if you think of other potential causes, but all seems smooth now. Just gotta take it to the range to be sure

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I think you got it. You never want to "baby" the slide when chambering a round or it's likely to hang somewhere.

Another option is to load the chamber by locking the slide back, inserting and locking the mag in place, then "sling shotting" the slide (pulling slide aft to release the slide lock then just letting go of the slide).