SR9c - Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

marb4

Bearcat
Snuck out today to give my new SR9C a quick first run today. Windy, cold, and raining - perfect for testing a new pistol!

Just a few quick observations:

1) Feel - The gun felt very comfortable in my hand. Though I perfered the feel of the 17 round mag w/grip extension, the 10 rounder (with finger extension) was comfortable as well. I seemed to have better control with the longer grip/mag. That's one of the things I like about this Ruger. Its a small pistol that can be made to feel like a larger one. The pistol pointed naturally for me. Recoil was suprisingly soft. Easy to handle.

2) Accuracy - I was more interested in checking function today rather than doing any kind of accuracy work due to the weather so I just hung a 6 inch swinger at 25 yards. The sights had good visibility. With Winchester 124gr NATO I was able to hit the swinger almost every time. For me, at 25 yards off hand, that's pretty good. Using WalMart Federal 115gr I had a harder time hitting (this ammo has never done particularly well for me in any of my 9mms). Since I wasn't shooting at paper its hard to tell exactly where I was missing. For a short handgun I was impressed. Plenty accurate for personal protection and adequate for use at the range.

3) Reliability - 100 rounds (50 - Win 124gr NATO, 50 - Fed 115gr) with no problems. Hardly a torture test but I was happy with no initial malfunctions.

4) Trigger - This is the one area where I was a little disappointed. I've read many reviews about this pistol having an "excellent" trigger. Mine I would describe as somewhere between OK and good. The trigger almost feels "staged". About 1/8 inch of take up (while its pulling the striker back) then you can feel it stop. A little more pressure then it fires. Its probably within spec but not nearly as crisp as I've heard others describe it. The reset is fast which made double taps easy. I'll shoot it for a while and see if it smooths out some. Maybe my expectations were too high. We'll see how it goes. I'd be curious to hear other SR9C owners describe the trigger pull on their guns.

Overall, the SR9C seems very solid. Small enough to use for CCW but can be made to feel larger for casual target work at the range. I'm looking forward to getting out again (in better weather) and shooting some paper at different ranges to get a better feel for how it shoots. I'm hoping the trigger smooths out some (or at least I get used to it) but its really not worth complaining about at this point. For $400 delivered I'm pleased. Its kind of like having 2 guns in one (CCW and range shooter). I'll update next time I get out. Please feel free to share your SR9C experiences. Thanks.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the new gun! The Sr9c is a fine pistol very hard to beat for $400, especially with a company like Ruger behind them.

I got one when they first came out, and it had a superbly crisp and light trigger. Problem was, i was getting numerous light strikes, which was unacceptable in a defensive firearm. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the striker spring with a heavier one. This cured the problem, but made the trigger a bit heavier. I think the heavier spring is now standard.

wingman

Single-Sixer
I've only put about 100 rounds thru my SR9c. But I have dry fired it nearly every day since I bought it. The trigger is a bit gritty but it feels pretty light. I do like it a lot. It certainly feels better (the trigger) than my LCP.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
marb4 glad to hear you like the SR9c!

I really love mine! It would be the last gun I'll ever give up.

Shoot straight and safe.

Lateck,

marb4

Bearcat
Got some more rounds through the SR9c this weekend. The gun performed and handled very well. No malfunctions of any kind. In fact, ejection was so consistent that most of the cases were laying in a neat pile a few feet away. Makes clean up a lot easier! Still getting used to the trigger. This is my first striker fired pistol and though I'm still not crazy about the trigger pull/feel I think as I get more familiar with it it won't be much of an issue. Hoping too that as all of the internals continue to break in things may smooth up a bit as well.

So far the pistol has a total of 380 problem free rounds from the "good stuff" to the cheapest. Accuracy is decent for that style and size pistol and it is very comfortable. Looking forward to some more "testing" if I can sneak out of work early one day this week.

Blazer Brass 115gr- 100
Blazer Aluminium 115gr - 50
Winchester NATO 124gr - 50
RWS 124gr - 50
Walmart Federal 115gr - 50
Winchester PDX1 (+p) 124gr - 30
Remington Green & White box 147gr - 50

mitchntx

Bearcat
I shot another 200 rounds through my SR9c this weekend, bringing the total to ~700.

It just keeps getting better and better.

I find the trigger is on par with my XDm9 as far as effort and distance, but nothing like my reworked 22/45 nor a Smith 9VE on the other end of the spectrum. If the 22/45 was a 1 and the 9VE was a 10, the SR9c trigger would be a solid 3, IMHO.

For a range only gun, a soft and short trigger is great. But for a EDC, I want there to be a little more effort involved before making the loud noise. Personal preference.

revhigh

Hawkeye
The triggers on ANY of these DAO guns (no matter the brand) can generally be described as 'horrible'. The only good triggers on handguns are found on 1911's and revolvers in single action mode. Anything else is horrible.

What you search for is the 'least horrible' that you can live with. :D

Kinda like politicians ... they ALL suck ... just a matter of who sucks the least ....

REV

marb4

Bearcat
revhigh said:
The triggers on ANY of these DAO guns (no matter the brand) can generally be described as 'horrible'. The only good triggers on handguns are found on 1911's and revolvers in single action mode. Anything else is horrible.

Kinda like politicians ... they ALL suck ... just a matter of who sucks the least ....

REV

Ha! Great analogy.

weiss27md

Bearcat
revhigh said:

REV

That's true, my single action has an awesome trigger (Vaquero). That's why these companies make triggers for all these guns. My trigger is much better with the Ghost trigger. Does need some adjusting which eliminates over travel.

marb4

Bearcat
Put another 100 rounds through tonight (50 Winchester White Box - 50 PMC Bronze). Pistol functioned flawlessly. I'm getting a little more accustomed to the trigger and was putting down some better groups. I noticed that most of my groups were a little to the right of point of aim so I drifted the rear sight slightly. I'll see if its any closer next time.

The only thing I've noticed with the pistol is that somtimes when I field strip it, the recoil spring setup gets itself stuck and won't let me pull the slide forward and off. I have to work the slide back and forth until it comes loose. Anyone else notice this? Also when reinstalling, the recoil spring setup is sometimes very hard to compress. Almost like its sticking somehow. If I rotate it around I can find a sweet spot where it will compress and drop in.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
marb4 said:
The only thing I've noticed with the pistol is that somtimes when I field strip it, the recoil spring setup gets itself stuck and won't let me pull the slide forward and off. I have to work the slide back and forth until it comes loose. Anyone else notice this? Also when reinstalling, the recoil spring setup is sometimes very hard to compress. Almost like its sticking somehow. If I rotate it around I can find a sweet spot where it will compress and drop in.

When I'm in a hurry, yes! Other wise, not really.

Just take your time.
Glad to hear your liking your SR9c, more and more.

Lateck,