SR9c range report - trigger reset update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LexRex

Bearcat
Hi, I am new here. I've been lurking for quite a while but I thought I would give back now that I have something to offer.

I recently picked up an SR9c. I have been looking for a compact CCW gun and nothing (XD, Glcok, Keltec, Kahr, M&P) has really interested me until I picked up the SR9c. I was able to shoot the SR9 at the range and liked it well enough, knowing the compact had some nice improvements.

I put 150 rounds down range, all Remington UMC 124 gr. The gun shot very well, right out of the box (field strop and cleaned of course).

I did have a major issue, however, I attribute it solely to the mag at this point. With the 10 round mag, the gun was flawless, easy to point, easy to shoot and as accurate as I can be. The 17 round mag gave me some problems. The trigger failed to reset on just about every other round. Sometimes it stuck until I reset it, sometimes it reset after a second or two. I went back and forth from 10 to 17 round and sure enough, it was only that one mag. I had a range officer watch me to ensure proper form.

After looking at the mags for a while I noticed what I think is the problem. The right hand feed lip of the 17 rounder, looking from rear to front, is clipped off flat where the 10 rounder is nicely rounded over. Looks like a slightly unfinished mag got out of the factory. I called Ruger and they were more than happy to send another as well as return shipping for the one in question so they could look it over.

Good mag:

Bad one:

Otherwise, shooting with the 10 rounder was great! Once I get some more range time in with my carry ammo this gun will be going with me for carry.

Edit: I put 110 rounds through the 10 rounder and 40 through the 17 rounder. No problems in 110 through the 10 rounder and I was alternating off and on.
Lex

jhearne

Buckeye
Good report other than the 17 rounder's issue. Did you have the Mag DC (Disconnect) installed (by factory it is)? If it was still installed, I think that lip is what activates it and lets the gun fire, may have been acting like there was just no mag installed.

If that was the case, and you tried to fire it several times, I'd take the slide apart (down to the striker) and see if there's any damage to the register of it where it would contact the Mag DC.

I have a How-To that covers all of the disassembly instructions for the SR9, about every part should carry over to the SR9c.

If they let you keep the old mag, you could've had 2 17 rounders if the Mag DC thing was the issue ;).

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
From a non-SR9-owning person, how would a 'different' mag lip cause the trigger not to reset every other round ??

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Responding to me or him Rev? I assumed it seemed like the Trigger failed to reset, but with it being a new gun, one may not know all the ins and outs of the SR9.

If it really was a Failure to Reset, then I have no idea how else the Mag could effect the gun. The only thing the mags directly effect are the Slide Lock and Mag DC (if installed). The Mag DC does effect the Striker and Trigger by proxy.

Josh

LexRex

Bearcat
I was a bit baffled myself. I didn't think there was any way the mag could cause the trigger problem. The only reason I am postulating that is that this didn't happen at all with the 10 round mag.

Josh, I will take a look at your take down post and give the pistol a look. As far as I know, the factory installed disconnect is there and I never dry fired without a mag in place.

Scott

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at my SR9 (NOT c) 17 rd magazine right now and it looks EXACTLY like what you're calling the "bad" one. I don't have any problem with mine. It sounds pretty suspicious that it's the mag causing the problem, but it may not be that "lip" you're suspecting. Good luck with the new mag.

LexRex

Bearcat
Yeah, I really don't know. When I called Ruger, they immediately asked me to compare the tops of the two mags side by side and identify any differences. This is the only thing I saw.

kscott

Single-Sixer
jhearne":33zhkzcc said:
Good report other than the 17 rounder's issue. Did you have the Mag DC (Disconnect) installed (by factory it is)? If it was still installed, I think that lip is what activates it and lets the gun fire, may have been acting like there was just no mag installed.
Josh

I definitely agree that that part of the mag deactivates the Mag DC, but if the OP said that "sometimes it reset after a few seconds," I wouldn't think that would be the case. Also, I assumed the OP's reference to the trigger failing to reset meant that the round fired and then it didn't reset. If the round fired, it wouldn't be acting like it would if there was no mag installed.

It still does sound like a mag issue and maybe even a mag/mag dc issue, but to fire the round, the mag dc would have to be up and out of the way.

I think?? :?

revhigh

Hawkeye
jhearne":14c3hw64 said:
Responding to me or him Rev?

Actually Josh, I was asking anybody. I don't know the SR9 inside and out like you guys do, but I couldn't see how a mag could cause a trigger reset problem ... I was just curious as I couldn't see a connection between the two.

REV

LexRex

Bearcat
Yep, 17 rounds in the mag, bang-reset, bang-reset, bang...uh oh, no reset. 14 rounds left. I could nudge the trigger forward and then it would be good to go for another round or so.

kscott

Single-Sixer
FWIW, I'd take the mag dc out and give it another whirl. It easily goes in and out. It would kind of help eliminate whether it had to do with the mag dc or not. I'm just really curious.

Also does it do this when dry firing? I would think if it was the mag dc it would. Then you could take out the mag dc and try it dry firing to see if it made a difference.

jhearne

Buckeye
I'm otherwise stumped, I can't think of any reason for the 17 round to differ that much and cause that sort of issue. Leave the gun alone as far as the Mag DC goes and wait and compare the 2 17 rounders, post pics if any are different. Then ship the old one back to Ruger if the new one solves the issue. If it doesn't call Ruger and let them see what's up.

Josh

Edit: Forgot to add this, the Ejector, it's held in place by 2 things, a) The mag and b) the little retention pins in the Fire Control Housing. If it slips down into the mag-well (the Ejector) then it could cause issues with the Trigger Reset. If the Mag wasn't staying seated properly (maybe the sleeve is a little out of spec) then the ejector could become a little out of place and start throwing issues...I'm fishing for answers really, but this is the only other thing I can think of related to the Fire Control and the Mags.

LexRex

Bearcat
kscott":3ccbh6zh said:
FWIW, I'd take the mag dc out and give it another whirl. It easily goes in and out. It would kind of help eliminate whether it had to do with the mag dc or not. I'm just really curious.

Also does it do this when dry firing? I would think if it was the mag dc it would. Then you could take out the mag dc and try it dry firing to see if it made a difference.

If I dry fire and then rack the slide, the trigger resets. Very odd.

LexRex

Bearcat
In thinking about this more, I wonder if the weight and length of the 17 rounder is sufficient that it throws off the timing? I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of recoil physics, it's just a thought I had. The slide is smaller than the full size but with the larger mag, you end up with the same grip length and weight of the rounds down low as the full size....

I guess for this to be true (if even possible) it would only do it with a near fully loaded mag and I do not think that is the case, it was doing it with 5 rounds in the mag.

jhearne

Buckeye
Doubtful Lex, Glock has pistols in a compact form factor with full size mags as well with no issues that I can think of....other guns do this as well. The weight differential between mags is negligible IMO.

Josh

LexRex

Bearcat
jhearne":1ld91qaf said:
Doubtful Lex, Glock has pistols in a compact form factor with full size mags as well with no issues that I can think of....other guns do this as well. The weight differential between mags is negligible IMO.

Josh

True. Well, the next time I can get to the range will be next week. Hopefully the mag will be here by then and I can put another 150 down the pipe. I will try a few different brands of ammo too.

Lex

LexRex

Bearcat
Ruger sent the new mag and I put another 100 down range. This time a mixture of UMC and Federal 115 gr. The new 17rd mag is identical to the original and so is the problem.

Still no issues at all with the 10 rd. mag. Very weird! I love shooting this pistol with the 10 rd. They are taking it in for service, I hope I get it back ASAP!

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
All my mags look like the one you say is bad. I just bought the gun and haven't taken it to the range yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

LexRex

Bearcat
Rugerlvr":6vls15rk said:
All my mags look like the one you say is bad. I just bought the gun and haven't taken it to the range yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Definitely let us know. They are having me send everything in for a look see. :( I'm sure they'll make good on it but I'll be without it for at least a week. Good news is it has been flawless with the 10 rounder.

Interested to see how you fare.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I have had my SR9c do the same thing. 10 rounder works great and now I have been twice to the range, once with the mag disconnect next time I removed the disconnect and the 17 rounder still is iffy when the trigger will reset. Not a good thing when your life depends on it. I guess it is time to call Ruger.