sr9c problem - see picture

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mysr9c

Bearcat
I purchased my sr9c a few weeks ago. I've fired probably 400 rounds through it. I noticed today when i was cleaning it that at the end of the slide, it looks like maybe the barrel is rubbing.

Has anyone else noticed this or had a similiar problem?

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks in advance!

barrelk.jpg

(left and right side)

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Nope, no idea..id probably not have even noticed that if that were my SR9c lol.

mysr9c

Bearcat
thank you for the replies.

Yea, it's just the finish. I wouldn't have thought it would chip off like that only after 2 weeks of owning it. It hasn't been dropped or mishandled at all.

Guppy

Bearcat
It is not something I would worry about unless it begins to spread. Looks like it may have been pressure flaked off by barrel contact. This should not be too abnormal moving parts do need to wear in.

waldo1324

Bearcat
im not too versed on acceptable gun wear, but in my eyes , thats a bunch of crap. id take it back as fast as i could and get the siver top model or replacement slide.

snakespit

Bearcat
That is very strange looking. I zoomed n and It almost looks too clean. Are there any marks on the barrel

waldo1324

Bearcat
it just dawned on me that it could have come to you like that and you just now noticed it.
maybe factory damage??

Ruger Mom

Bearcat
I also bought this gun 2 weeks ago and have the same problem. I specifically remember it didn't come this way. I shot it last weekend and noticed the chipping after. My husband and I went to Bass Pro Shop today and looked at a brand new SR9C. It had the same chipping. The salesman said it would spread and start looking like crap. Regardless if it's wear and tear or straight from the factory, Ruger should be fixing this. Has anyone called Ruger?

Old Griz

Bearcat
I used to sell guns many years ago, and I noticed the same problem with the black S&W autos. The crappy finish was very fragile and would just chip off.

treefarmernc

Bearcat
I too have this problem after owning it 3 days. I put 225 rounds trough mine Saturday and Sunday(today). And mine looks like yours. In the next day or so, I will also post a topic of my own about a trigger problem I am experiencing.

Throughout the 225 rounds I sent down pipe the trigger would sometimes remain stuck back just for a second then it would click back. During the first 40 it would stick and sometimes I would have to tap it slightly to get it to release. After that it would free itself about 1 second after I would release the trigger. It did not happen during every magazine but it happened with both magazines. Probably about 20 or so times. Any body else have experienced this with this gun or any other safety trigger gun? On the good side I thought that the SR9C was a very accurate conceal carry piece and a good shooter. I will probably be sending it to get the trigger looked at.

One last thing, I noticed on mine when doing the initial degreasing and cleaning that the bottom of the trigger guard was dull. Looked to me that they missed polishing that one spot. Any others have this?

Ruger Mom

Bearcat
So, just wanted to update you on what I did to try to get this resolved. We contacted Ruger and they were unaware of this problem. We sent them pics of the chipping. They are sending a shipping label for me to send it back to them to take a look at it. I'm not sure what they are going to do for sure, but we got the ball rolling. I would suggest calling them if you are having this problem. Their customer service is good and helpful.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
if it was mine I woudn't worry about it. There is pretty much nothing that Ruger could 'fix' to keep it from happening again.

You could get a bottle of cold bluing and touch it up as needed, but even then it will wear eventually, even a permenant marker would touch it up for a while

Talegunner

Bearcat
9isFine":324f6ggy said:
You could get a bottle of cold bluing and touch it up as needed,
I dont think cold blue or hot bluing adheres to stainless steel. Send it back

I wasn't aware that the SR9c(with black slide) had a stainless slide? The full sized model in all black has "Stainless" marked on slide with large letters,the "C" model does not. I'm going to assume that the SR9c in black has a finish similar to the CZ75 that I have that is some sort of paint type coating.................& YES it is prone to chipping and is considered normal..........I would try to tone it down with some cold blue & shoot it............................ :D TG

mysr9c

Bearcat
I'm curious if this will become a known issue with the SR9C. I have not experienced any problems firing the gun yet. I shoot 50 rounds every friday. It's accurate and i love the way it shoots. I'm assuming this is just a cosmetic issue.

I am almost certain it did not come from the factory with these chips.

Ruger Mom,

Please follow up with us. I wonder if Ruger will try to reblue the slide or just send you a new one.

And thanks everyone for the active responses.

- Ben