SR9C manual safety won't fully engage - anyone seen this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rjunkin

Bearcat
Has anyone experienced an SR9 or SR9C that has a manual safety that won't fully engage? I noticed it was sluggish at the shop before I bought it but attributed that to the grease that the gun was shipped in. Unfortunately after a thorough cleaning the safety now will not engage fully, and a pull or two on the trigger will cause it to completely disengage (just like it says in the manual).

I found that if I push the slide back about 1mm, the safety lever will move full up, but when I release the pressure on the slide the safety level drops enough to allow the trigger to disengage it. I'm sure its just an adjustment, but I'd like to know if I can do it myself or not.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Rick

jhearne

Buckeye
There isn't any safety adjustment on the SR9 or SR9c that I'm aware of.

When you reassembled the SR9, did you insert an empty magazine or manually pull up the Ejector? This sounds a lot like mine when I forget to get the Ejector back up. If you didn't do this and it fixes it, then your good. However if you did and it's still no help call Ruger.

Josh

kscott

Single-Sixer
hmm... that's weird. I'd take it to the shop you bought it at, if its close, and let him take a look at it. I've tried doin some different things with mine to make it act like yours, but I can't get it to do the same thing.

gulf979cb

Bearcat
Are you sure the trigger was reset?
I don't believe the safety will engage if the trigger is not reset.

i as well tried many things to make it act like you describe..but all is ok with mine.
Unless the trigger is not reset.
That's the only way my safety will not engage.
Bringing the slide back just a bit resets the trigger and then the safety is allowed to engage.

just a thought??'

rjunkin

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies and efforts to duplicate. I had checked all of the things mentioned prior to posting, and I figured it out late last night.

This particular gun came directly from the SHOT show. The distributor for my local shop delivered it Tuesday afternoon. My guess is that it had been used for display or demonstration, or at least handled by someone not familiar with how to field strip the weapon, as I discovered that a couple of things were bent. First was the extractor, which was bent over slightly at the top, as if someone had forced the slide forward with it still in the "up and locked" position. So I straightened that, but still had the problem. On closer inspection, I discovered that the safety levers appeared spread slightly away from the side of the weapon, like they would be if they were forced up with the extractor out of position or the trigger not reset. So I realigned them back to where they looked right again, and that fixed the problem. After making the adjustment to the safety assembly I realized that the slide lock tab on the safety was now slightly more inboard, and I believe that before I adjusted it, it was far enough outboard that it was hitting the slide rail instead of moving into the notch in the slide that it is supposed to go into.

All of these "slightly"s were on the order of 10 to 15 thousandths, which is probably why I missed them when I inspected the gun at the shop. Lesson re-learned for me is that no matter what the assumed reason for something not working quite right out of the box, get it remedied at the shop before handing over the money! They had another gun at the store, I could have at least compared them.

In this case, all's well that ends well. Now to get some rounds through my new friend to get adequately acquainted so I can start carrying her as she is intended.

Cheers,
Rick

rjunkin

Bearcat
Ooops, I said "extractor" in my last post, I meant "ejector"... but y'all probably figured that out.

Its been a long day. :roll:

Cheers,
Rick

jhearne

Buckeye
Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy the SR9c and let us know how she functions.

Josh

rjunkin

Bearcat
Made it to the range today with my new SR9c and my 556. OMG

We stopped by the pistol range for just a short period of time, as all the stations were filled except for the 50 yard metal plate targets. So, of course I had to try out the SR9c at this ridiculous range. Holy crap. Shot two magazines (10 round and 17 round) and went 15 for 27 on 12" x 12" plates. WOW! I really like this gun! Next time I hope to get some experience with her at a reasonable self defense range.

Went to the rifle range with the 556 (and my newly scoped AR-10) and shot enough rounds through the 556 to know that it is a great weapon at 60 yards, and at 100 yards. Was unfortunately short on time but will be back next weekend with more time and more ammo.

Successful day, and a great end to this thread. Thanks to all who offered help on the manual safety issue.

Cheers,
Rick