SR9c is gonna be a challenge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Yes, I just got mine today. It's the stainless-slide model.
First...I like the gun; a lot. It fits my hand; it points well; I like the barrel length and I like the weight of the gun. And the pinkie-thing that goes on the 10-round mag is gonna be very nice.
HOWEVER, I am (almost) shocked that Ruger let that gun get out of the shop as is.
The cocking serrations are sharp enough to cut tissue. Why? Nobody wants/needs serrations this sharp. I can't dry-cycle the gun comfortably more than a few times without heavy leather gloves.
The trigger pull is just about 12 pounds, which is ridiculous. Even the infamous "New York" trigger on the LEO Glocks is only about eight pounds, and that's heavy!
The left-hand safety was inoperable for some time until I used the right-hand safety and gradually "worked" it in.
I realize that I can knock down the sharp edges of the serrations once I decide a decent method of doing so. Perhaps I'll use a stone, or maybe 230 grit lapping compound or sandpaper on a Dremel wheel.
And I have pre-ordered the 3.5# GHOST trigger.
But I really wish I didn't have to.
The price is awfully reasonable; i.e. cheap, but now I know why.
Fortunately, Josh Hearne is around to save the day and talk me through some of these "repairs." I would have (gladly) paid an extra hundred bucks to have the gun come without these problems.
I don't understand the marketing philosophy that allows putting out the product when it's clearly not ready to be used.
Sonnytoo

CBennett

Single-Sixer
serrations are kinda sharp but not that bad(for me) you dont notice them as much as the slide loosens up a bit(tension wise) after a few hundred rounds. Trigger on mine was fine almost glock like cant be over 5.5-6 pounds max on my one. in around 400 rounds mine has worked great, it didnt like WWB rounds but thats fine it eats everything else 100% with no failures. all the safeties on mine worked fine.

kscott

Single-Sixer
That's not good to hear sonny. I think there is something wrong with your trigger. I've tried 3 of them and all had very similar triggers and none of them felt nearly 12lbs. More like half of that.

alienbogey

Bearcat
I hooked a baby scale to mine and tried to get a reading. I've never used a proper trigger scale before and didn't know where on the trigger to place the wire.

That said, mine consistently pulled at between 10 and 11#.

I basically quit shooting mine until the Ghost trigger comes out - I hope it makes a good trigger out of it.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
kscott":1s985aul said:
That's not good to hear sonny. I think there is something wrong with your trigger. I've tried 3 of them and all had very similar triggers and none of them felt nearly 12lbs. More like half of that.

My gun has ser. no. 332-038xx. It came from the Shot Show and was apparently in the first 4000 guns produced. I have also read here on the forum that the compact's trigger was pretty darned good...about 5 to 6 pounds. My early serial number might explain why I got the heavy trigger. The GHOST Ultimate will take care of that problem; it is pre-ordered so I have to wait.
The reversible back-strap is a nice idea. I reversed it and like the larger hump to fill my palm. Nice idea, Ruger!
SERRATIONS IN SLIDE: I have some Dremel accessories, like Abrasive Points in bullet shape or half-round. I need to use something to knock down the sharp edges in the serrations, without destroying the pristine looks of the gun. What are your thoughts on this, guys? I could use some suggestions on the best way to do this.
Thanks for any help you can give me...
Sonnytoo

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Sonnytoo":1f3w10ei said:
SERRATIONS IN SLIDE: I have some Dremel accessories, like Abrasive Points in bullet shape or half-round. I need to use something to knock down the sharp edges in the serrations, without destroying the pristine looks of the gun. What are your thoughts on this, guys? I could use some suggestions on the best way to do this.
Thanks for any help you can give me...
Sonnytoo

I'd find something round to wrap some 600 grit emery cloth around that was just the right diameter to touch the sharp edges but not bottom out in the slots or touch the polished flats. Maybe even a very fine small diameter round file. Whatever you use go with the slots, if you try to use any rotary bit like on a dremel you'll lose the nice staight lines. I've been curious what an SR9(c) stainless slide would look like if it were glass bead blasted.

revhigh

Hawkeye
My experience with most people quoting 'guessed at' trigger pull weights is that most 'guessers' have zero idea what they are talking about. I've seen people pull a trigger and say yeah, that's about 3 pounds, when in fact the trigger was 8 pounds.

A trigger pull of three pounds is very close to what most people would call a 'hare' trigger in a handgun. It is outrageously light, and has no use being used for defensive purposes. Most Glock triggers I've felt are around 6-7 pounds, which is about perfect for a DA striker type gun used for self defense.

The SR9 trigger is nowhere near as good as ANY Glock trigger I've felt, and that is a lot of Glocks. I've handled probably 6 different SR9's and most had trigger pulls in the 10-12 pound range, with a really bad gritty creep in the beginning. Once it stacked, and was ready to release, I found that I had NO IDEA when it would release the hammer. That's quite disconcerting in a gun, and very bad for accuracy.

Virtually every Glock trigger I've tried is about the same, compared to other Glocks .... hey ... it's not a 1911 trigger, but at least it's consistent and usable once you're accustomed to it. That's what makes Glocks so easy to use once you're used to them ... maybe 50 rounds or so. It stacks smoothly, tightens, and then releases .... every single one ... every single time. You certainly CAN NOT say that about an SR9 trigger ... unless you're being disingenuous. THAT is why everybody is clamoring for this Ghost trigger kit.

I haven't handled any SR9C's yet, so I can't comment on them. Supposedly the triggers are better, but I can't really see how they would be, given it's pretty much the same gun, and if it really was different, Ruger would be bragging about it having a 'new improved trigger system', which to my knowledge, they haven't been doing.

REV

offshorebear

Bearcat
I like the sharp serations. It makes it much easier to rack the slide one handed with your legs.

How can one safety not work and the other function? It's one peice of metal.

I had my first malfunction with the SR9c today, but it was the ammo's fault. Primer was in too deep and no one else's gun would fire it.

I really need night sights for it though.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
I borrowed a digital trigger pull gauge from a co-worker. A NIB SR9 took it off the scale, more often than not pulling over 12 lbs. A polished SR9 trigger ran 8 - 9 lbs. A stock Springfield Mil Spec with lots of rounds pulled right at 6 lbs. A stock series 1 Kimber compact pulled 4&1/2 lbs and feels light. A broken in Glock 19 pulled 5&1/2 lbs. By comparison, my 10/22 with some Volquartsen bits pulls 2&1/2 lbs and feels outrageously light.

I don't have nearly the training to use a 4&1/2 lb trigger for a SD weapon.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":u47dr1er said:
A NIB SR9 took it off the scale, more often than not pulling over 12 lbs. A polished SR9 trigger ran 8 - 9 lbs. A stock Springfield Mil Spec with lots of rounds pulled right at 6 lbs. A stock series 1 Kimber compact pulled 4&1/2 lbs and feels light. A broken in Glock 19 pulled 5&1/2 lbs.

Pretty much right on the nose with what I've discovered as well Armed.

My Springfield GI has the best trigger I've ever used, and is between 3 and 3.5 pounds ... It is spectacular. Every single person that's ever tried it has been at first terrified by it, and then decided that they loved it. It IS range only though.

REV

kscott

Single-Sixer
I wish I had something to measure my trigger pull weight with because I know my SR9c is nowhere near 12lbs. I guess I'll have to find one to borrow. Rev I know what you mean about guessing trigger pull weights but I guarantee mine is not even close to 12lbs.

Guppy

Bearcat
Odd, my is more 5 Lbs and very shootable. I did do a through polish job on the internals per the guide at the top of the forum. My full size guns however have terrrible triggers. I am working on it and have one of tehm decent.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I have had mine 2 weeks and it has been great. The serration are sharp. I think the trigger is good and mine seems to be in the 6 lb range. I did remove the mag disconnect but didn't feell a difference. fun to shoot. I have had the thing not want to re-set after firing on my 17 round magazine. That really bothers me. Have about 200 rds and the only issue was the 17 rd mag.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
I have a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge and my SR9 is 5# 12oz- from the factory.
I have not had it apart, no polishing, etc. Absolutely no word done to it.
When I bought it, I went through a bunch of SR9's to find the smoothest and this was it:)
What I did notice was a lot of variation in trigger pull, light, heavy, smooth, rough, long, short, etc, etc.
The best thing to do is to smooth it out..., have a gunsmith set it up for you or if you know how to do the work, it makes for a much more enjoyable shooter and knowing when it is going to fire (smooth, predictable pull) vs an unpredictable, creepy trigger will also make it safer..., you do not have to guess when it will fire and reduces trigger jerk if that is a problem also.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
SR9 slide serrations do have an edge to them but they work very well. The serrations are not there to injure you, they're on the pistol to rack the slide and what I've found is that if you have enough purchase on the slide with your thumb and forefinger, and pull back sharply on the slide as you would ordinarily do, there's no trouble at all. The main thing is not to try to pull the slide back slooooowly, like you're trying to avoid hurting it or finesse it back. The gun is pretty rugged, it doesn't do finesse.

In fact I liked the serrations because they taught me the proper way to do it: you grasp the slide firmly between the thumb and second knuckle of the index finger of the other hand and pull back sharply while either holding the slide lock lever or not with your thumb. Grasp it firmly and pull it rearward with a little bit of snap and oomph and you will never have the problem again.

The first 10 times I tried it, I didn't have the muscle memory right, and that is when I had the slide slip away from my thumb and scrape the skin.

After that you learn pretty quickly. On the other hand, if they really bug you, take a stone to them very lightly with a dremel. Can't take longer than 20 minutes.

12 pounds is tough to verify but unless there's something wrong with your pistol I think that's excessive, and beyond what others have reported. My SR9 was new in box and I never experienced anything like what I thought was too heavy. A little stacking, maybe. Some stiction, perhaps. But not too heavy.

Maybe my fingers are strong ;).

As far as that's concerned, the next step before I buy a Ghost (if I do) is to hone the striker channel with a 9mm flex-hone. I haven't done anything to my gun other than clean it, dry fire it, shoot it, clean it, and dry fire it again, and my trigger is much improved from new. Still, the suggestion I saw here to lightly polish the channel in which the striker travels makes a lot of sense to me. Also I won't be "modifying" the pistol: I live in the Bay State and the recent conversations about liability with modified guns gave me pause. I'm not taking any chances.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
NixieTube":2et244vf said:
12 pounds is tough to verify but unless there's something wrong with your pistol I think that's excessive, and beyond what others have reported.

Anything you read on the interworld is tough to verify. :wink:

I reported the measured 12 lb + pull on a NIB SR9. I had 2 SR9s at the time, one I'd done the trigger polish work on and a lot of dry fires, and a green/black one that I thought I just had to have. The digital gauge was new and yes I used it correctly. The pull was similar to what my stainless SR9 felt like new. It was measured probably 15 times.

About the slide serrations, nothing on a pistol should be sharp enough to injure the operator in normal use IMHO.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ, I believe you. I guess there are some of the guns that have a heavier pull than I experience on mine, or think I experience. One of these days I'll get a gauge on mine. I'd like to measure it before and after I hone the striker channel.

And yes, I agree that nothing on the gun should cause any kind of injury. After I racked my slide a few times I just felt I was doing it wrong and developed a little more of a snap to my motion. Physics tells us that static friction is often greater than dynamic (sliding) friction, and the SR9 does seem to have a lot of static friction when you are initially pulling the slide back, so what I do now is grasp firmly and pull more sharply. After I practiced that a couple of times and committed it to muscle memory I haven't had any lost skin or had any pain either.

It's a little watching a guy break bricks with Karate: the velocity is key. The thing is to pull it back just a little quicker than you would normally, overcoming the static friction and spring tension quickly.

Still, Ruger (or you) could take the extra machining step to very lightly chamfer those edges and that would take all of the bite out of it. They're cut pretty sharp.