SR9c... GOT IT!!!!! **PIC UPDATE**

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kscott

Single-Sixer
As you have probably gathered from the title, I picked up my Ruger SR9c (blackened alloy) today from the LGS for $389+tax. Let me just say that I am already in love with this pistol! It is the perfect size pistol for me. Fits my hand like a glove and I get 2 fingers on the lower grip without any extra grip (albeit I do have relatively thick (read:FAT) fingers). The grip extension (for 17 rd mag) is a nice fit to the grip. I wouldn't say that it has no movement, but it seems plenty sturdy. I haven't had the pinkie extension on yet, but I've put it in the bottom of the mag well without the mag just to see what it looked/felt like. I did like it, but honestly I won't CC with the pinkie extension and any range time will either be just like CC or with full-size mag. Maybe I'll change my mind when I shoot it, but who knows.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but hope to maybe this weekend? The new mag releas is definitely an upgrade. Works right out of the box as it should. Haven't had any mag hang up or struggle to push it. One thing I did notice though is that sometimes when I release the full-size with the grip extension, I forget to let go of the bottom of the grip :oops: and hence, the magazine doesn't release. Unless you are planning on doing a mag change past the 10rd and past the 17 rd, I wouldn't be concerened especially since it's 100% user error. :wink:

Now to the trigger... (plays horror music)...
It is leaps and bounds above the SR9 trigger is out of the box!! There's no squish to it. It feels lighter, no grit. My SR9 trigger has improved a lot and I am totally pleased with it now, but the SR9c trigger is better straight out of the box. It feels shorter too. I haven't compared them side by side yet because I've been kind of busy, but I will soon.

Also, the bad news is my computer crashed so I'm using a borrowed computer right now, so I'm not sure when I'll get to puttin pics up, but I'll try to Friday if I can. Any questions, feel free to ask...

Oh by the way, the new takedown pin was a touch more stubborn than my full-size, but once I'd had it out twice it was just as easy, and it seems a lot more secure in the frame than the previous, not that I ever had an issue with it.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Nice! I can't wait to handle one so I can dry-fire it and check out this new trigger. Did you already remove the magdc?

kscott

Single-Sixer
ConradM":3g7a22xx said:
Nice! I can't wait to handle one so I can dry-fire it and check out this new trigger. Did you already remove the magdc?
Nah, not yet. I'm gonna clean it first, otherwise, by the time I get it out, I'll look like a mechanic after a 12 hr shift. It's like they dip the darn things in grease. :roll: Oh well, I guess it serves its purpose, but yeah when I clean it, that will be the first thing to go.

Wixedmords-
Yeah, hopefully I'll get the pics up Friday because I don't have class, but we'll see how that works out wiith this borrowed computer.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Also, Conrad, I'm not sure the basic mechanics of the SR9c are any different. Nothing looked different, but I'll compare them side by side later.

ConradM

Blackhawk
kscott":33dosc3j said:
Also, Conrad, I'm not sure the basic mechanics of the SR9c are any different. Nothing looked different, but I'll compare them side by side later.

Something has to be different if the trigger is not backwards compatible. I would think... Let me rephrase, not different per se, but maybe they altered the geometry.

How's the slide to frame gap? As big as the SR9? From pics it looks a lot tighter.

jhearne

Buckeye
kscott":2782vluf said:

I'd appreciate that as well, I'm probably going to go by my LGS and see if he has any in stock for me to take a gander at it's innards. Glad you feel the trigger to be better than the SR9's, also about the Mag Release. I figured it'd be better by looking at it.

Josh

kscott

Single-Sixer
ConradM":20p82x41 said:
kscott":20p82x41 said:

Something has to be different if the trigger is not backwards compatible. I would think... Let me rephrase, not different per se, but maybe they altered the geometry.

How's the slide to frame gap? As big as the SR9? From pics it looks a lot tighter.

Mine seems to be tighter than my full-size as you suspected. I'll try to get a close up of it.

BTW anybody that wants to make pic suggestions either with just the SR9c or it with the SR9, give em to me and I'll try and get ya what you want.
**Disclaimer** I'm not a great picture taker, but I'll do my best.

jhearne

Buckeye
kscott":1xa3kpoz said:
ConradM":1xa3kpoz said:
kscott":1xa3kpoz said:

Mine seems to be tighter than my full-size as you suspected. I'll try to get a close up of it.

BTW anybody that wants to make pic suggestions either with just the SR9c or it with the SR9, give em to me and I'll try and get ya what you want.
**Disclaimer** I'm not a great picture taker, but I'll do my best.

Remove slides, side by side comparison from the top of the internals. That's all I want to see atm. Do the same for the slides' bottoms if you don't mind :).

Josh

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Maybe leave the grease on the trigger. :D

Glad you got it you are one of the first to have one. Plus you got a great price on it.

Enjoy.

tk

slippingaway

Blackhawk
No requests from me, just happy to hear good things about a new Ruger. That doesn't seem to happen much lately.

If you need some help getting pics posted, you can email them to me at oncefired "at" gmail.com and I'll get them up here. I know how it is trying to work on borrowed computers.

mrme

Bearcat
How do you remove the mag disconnect ? I can still pull my trigger when the mag is not in are there two different versions or does a round need to be chambered ?

ConradM

Blackhawk
mrme":297s25r4 said:
How do you remove the mag disconnect ? I can still pull my trigger when the mag is not in are there two different versions or does a round need to be chambered ?

:shock: You can damage your striker dry firing without the mag in. Read the how-to at the top of the main page to remove your mag DC.

contender

Ruger Guru
I was privy to part of a conversation at SHOT about the improvement efforts on the part of the engineers at Prescott in relation to the trigger. From what I heard,, they did put in a lot of effort to make it better.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Now work the slide 100 or so times and see if any peening starts to develop.

Not being a smart arse---just curious.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I am patiently awaiting arrival of mine. I'm getting a bit antsy. But no one around here even knew what I'm was talking about when I mentioned it so I just got one from out of state. Biggest city in the state, you'd think we'd have some great gun shops. Maybe Gander Mtn just messed the market up.

I use one of my SR9's for IDPA and I haven't taken the mag disconnect out yet. I got tired of swapping out empty mag for hammer down so I just snap one off. I figure if 6 to 12 dry fires a month with out a mag mess it up, something should be redesigned.

But yeah, I can't wait to get my new baby. I even got new batteries in the camera. I can say one thing, when I get it, it's getting cleaned and led straight to the range for some excersice.

jhearne

Buckeye
rugerfreak":2hni6qt7 said:
Now work the slide 100 or so times and see if any peening starts to develop.

Not being a smart arse---just curious.

I don't think that just racking the slide will generate the force needed to deform the metal. Put about 500 rounds through it in one sitting if you want to be a guinea pig and see how it does in one day. That's the best thing I know to do to see. Take good detailed shots of the slide and barrel hood before range and after range to compare the wear.

Also not being an arse, just providing interesting conversation :)

Josh

mrme

Bearcat
Will polishing the barrel breech block help with the peening - ya' think...?

Also, disconnecting the Mag safety looks like a major PITA to me is it easier than it looks in the sticky ?

jhearne

Buckeye
mrme":20hi6nu5 said:
Will polishing the barrel breech block help with the peening - ya' think...?

Also, disconnecting the Mag safety looks like a major PITA to me is it easier than it looks in the sticky ?

Don't think it will help, each gun is different in regards to Peening. Some have it some don't.

As for the Mag DC, it's pretty simple to do, was more work doing it and having to take pics of the process, but you just field strip, push the two disconnects (Striker Blocker and Mag DC) in to release the striker fully forward. Push in the little pin in the back of the Slide to release the Striker Plate. Slide the plate off, pull out the Striker and out comes the Mag DC.

The trickiest part of pulling the Mag DC is to make sure you push the Striker Blocker and Mag DC in to get the Striker forward, it may take a try or two. Just look at the Breech Face of the slide and the tip of the Striker should be sticking through just a bit. Without doing so, the Striker Cup (the most rear portion of the Striker Assy.) will hang into the Retaining Plate and make it seem stuck. Pushing it forward clears the Plate and lets you easily remove it.

If you run into any problems post on the sticky and someone should respond, or feel free to email me, my email is in my profile.

Josh

recoilguy

Bearcat
Cool, My LGS said they have one coming in early Feb but he thinks it will sell very quickly. i want to handle it before he sells it. Good luck with the new weapon.

RCG