SR9C ammo limitations???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gulf979cb

Bearcat
Hi all....

Just a quick question....
Will this gun hold up to +P and +p+ ammo pressures?

Not talking about shooting it all the time.. (that would be crazy expensive)..but some practice and definitely carry ammo.

The owners manual says "any 9mm loaded to US industry standards are ok"...along with the statement "NO 9mm ammo manufactured in accordance with NATO, US , SAAMI or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits of this or known not to function in these pistols"

So with that all being said.....does +P and +P+ fall into these standards?

Thanks ahead of time for your opinions..

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
From what I understand, all newer firearms will handle +P amoo, unless otherwise stated. +P+ has no set SAAMI specifications. I wouldn't worry about +P, but +P+ you never know. Maybe the next poster can tell you more on them.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Yes, I believe the manual stated that the firearm is fully capable of firing all factory ammo of the correct caliber including high-velocity and hollowpoint loads, loaded in brass,aluminum,or steel.

NO 9mm Parabellum ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO,U.S.,SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in this gun

that was from the manual...so pretty much shoot what ever ya got.

gulf979cb

Bearcat
Anyone else have any opinions on using +P and +P+ ammo??

How about Buffalo Bore ammo? I heard that stuff is pretty hot ???
Keep me posted...

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
gulf979cb":2q16bxdu said:

Keep me posted...

If the gun is cleared for the use of NATO rounds then it would be fine for the heaviest 9mm factory loaded ammunition.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
ok, this is directly from the Ruger website page..so no more wondering.

The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":2xu7gc53 said:
gulf979cb":2xu7gc53 said:

Keep me posted...

If the gun is cleared for the use of NATO rounds then it would be fine for the heaviest 9mm factory loaded ammunition.

exactly its not like NATO rounds are "low power" lol

umpa_3

Bearcat
straight from the sr9c manual

scan0001-1-1.jpg

but we will see i just got some DPX 9mm luger +p 115gr ammo to test the velocity is 1250fps energy 399ft/lbs

ammo was purchased at cabela's to find enter DPX in search

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
The only thing it doesn't seem to like well is hard primers. The striker spring seems a bit lighter than my SR9's. Fiocchi in paticular seems to be an issue. I've had some that I actually struck twice and they still didn't go (light indentions).

If your going to carry it, be sure to test your carry ammo very well to make sure you wont have issues with light strikes. All my defense ammo has run through ok so far.

Latest posts