SR9 vs. Glock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Ok so this isn't really a comparison thread... But, I shot a glock .40 full-size last week a good bit... and the trigger felt exactly the same as my modded SR9 trigger. :lol: (modded meaning some polished bits and 2 coils snipped off of the striker spring.)

I just thought the heavens were going to open or something the way glock people go on about their guns. That and the grip is huge... :shock: Why those guns are so popular I don't know.

On another I also shot an XDm .40 quite a bit and THAT has a nice trigger. I'm sure it has something to do with the action being different from a glock or SR9 but it was buttery smooth.. Made me a little jealous.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I have the original XD in 9mm. I had the trigger reworked. It is even better than the XDMs trigger. I bought the XD prior to buying a SR9. I went with the XD over the glock because of the grip and the trigger which even stock was better than a glock. The XD also points very natural for me. A glock I am always muzzledown when I thought I had the target acquired. I have to think about shooting a glock. The XD points exactly where I think it should be before I even look at the sights. I was very happy with the XD.Then I picked up a SR9. Granted I have had a lot of headaches with the SR9 before ruger replaced it. But I have never shoot a gun that felt so natural. First gun I can truly point and shoot. If I look at something the pistol is going to hit it. I have never felt nearly as confident with any pistol. Now if someone comes up with a way to better the trigger I will have the perfect 9mm.

welder

Buckeye
I have two Glock 19s. I use one for ccw about 80% of the time. They are very dependable, well 100%, and maintenance on them is as basis as can be. For me the draw is: reliability, consistent trigger pull, low maintenance, few and simple parts, all of which are cheap and plentiful, learning to detail strip takes about 10 minutes and they are accurate. Also are as impervious to sweat and moisture as any gun can be. That said, I treat my Glocks as a utility tool, kind of like my 4X4 beater, except I maintain them well. I don't "go on" about the things and never drink the kool-aid, but they are fine tools, not for everyone though, and there are guns I like better for other reasons, (read here Rugers). The 19 fits my ccw requirements best, that's all.

ConradM

Blackhawk
welder":3usf46mi said:
I have two Glock 19s. I use one for ccw about 80% of the time. They are very dependable, well 100%, and maintenance on them is as basis as can be. For me the draw is: reliability, consistent trigger pull, low maintenance, few and simple parts, all of which are cheap and plentiful, learning to detail strip takes about 10 minutes and they are accurate. Also are as impervious to sweat and moisture as any gun can be. That said, I treat my Glocks as a utility tool, kind of like my 4X4 beater, except I maintain them well. I don't "go on" about the things and never drink the kool-aid, but they are fine tools, not for everyone though, and there are guns I like better for other reasons, (read here Rugers). The 19 fits my ccw requirements best, that's all.

You pretty much described the way I feel about my SR9. :wink:

ConradM

Blackhawk
grapony":3a3hp8ba said:
There popular because they work, my g22 has been flawless, unlike my sr9 which is back at ruger now for a peened up barrel.

There are lots of guns that work. :p

revhigh

Hawkeye
ConradM":3sutt1px said:
I shot a glock .40 full-size last week a good bit... and the trigger felt exactly the same as my modded SR9 trigger.

I believe a more accurate statement would be that your 'modded' SR9 trigger feels exactly the same as the Glock's 'stock' trigger, not the other way around. THere may be lots of guns that work, but very, very few work as well as Glocks under any and all conditions. I'm not a rah rah Glock fan, I only own 2 ... a G26 (for carry) and a G20 (because it's a 10MM), but you have to give credit where credit is due. To me they're just as another poster mentioned ... a high quality reliable tool. Nothing more.

REV

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
If I ever get the bugs worked out of my SR9 (also back to the factory for peening)---I'll sell my G19 and get another SR9----the grip is sooooo much better on a SR9----but the Glock has been 100% and is riding shotgun till I get my Ruger worked out--if ever.

revhigh

Hawkeye
rugerfreak":90iwppbe said:
the grip is sooooo much better on a SR9----

You see ... that's why lots of different guns are produced ... to me, the main reason I would never buy an SR9 is BECAUSE of the grip. It's entirely too small for my hands both front to back, AND it's too narrow. Plus, I absolutely hate the feel of the checkering. It's too sharp, and feels really plasticky to me. Not only that, there's still way too many problems being reported, particularly with peening. It would kill me to have to look at my pistol if it had that peening on the barrel hood and slide. There's simply no excuse for Ruger not having fixed that by now, and I DON"T CARE if it doesn't affect anything. I wouldn't accept it on MY gun.

REV

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I still say the Sigma has the best grip out there. Seems like a cross between a thin SR9 and a fat Glock. They are not too thin, but still have a easy reach to the trigger.
If it was just between the Ruger and the Glock, I would take the Ruger. if I had bigger hands maybe I would like the Glock more, but they never fit right for me and my trigger finger doesn't get on as well as it should.
So I would buy in this order
Sigma
SR9
Glock

ConradM

Blackhawk
revhigh":3gwubc47 said:
ConradM":3gwubc47 said:
I shot a glock .40 full-size last week a good bit... and the trigger felt exactly the same as my modded SR9 trigger.

I believe a more accurate statement would be that your 'modded' SR9 trigger feels exactly the same as the Glock's 'stock' trigger, not the other way around. THere may be lots of guns that work, but very, very few work as well as Glocks under any and all conditions. I'm not a rah rah Glock fan, I only own 2 ... a G26 (for carry) and a G20 (because it's a 10MM), but you have to give credit where credit is due. To me they're just as another poster mentioned ... a high quality reliable tool. Nothing more.

REV

What difference does that make??? :lol: The triggers feel the same... That's it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Only that the Glock has been around forever, and your modded SR9 has been around for a few months. TYpically you'd say that the 'new' item resembled the 'existing' item, not the other way around. No big deal either way.

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
revhigh":1ogcp3q4 said:
Only that the Glock has been around forever, and your modded SR9 has been around for a few months. TYpically you'd say that the 'new' item resembled the 'existing' item, not the other way around. No big deal either way.

REV

You're saying that because of your bias towards the glock.. but in reality, the way I wrote it is in context with the sentence. :lol: Wow....

fallujah

Bearcat
Hello! Ive been carrying the Glock 19 and browning HP for the past 11 years. Ive shot the G19 extensively (several thousand rounds). Before this since 1994, ive had a G17 and since 1996 a G26. These are the advantages of the G19, in my experience:

1. Durability- ive dropped it several times, left it in the heat, wet it in the rain. It still works.

2. Reliability - Basically, i deliberately refused to clean it for several years of firing (just to test it), yet it continued to work perfectly. In 11 years ive had ONE JAM due to faulty ammo that was reloaded more than 6 times (the casing had expanded).

3. Concealability - the G19 is just about as concealable as any pocket pistol (except my Ruger elsiepea), with more than adequate firepower.

4. Availability of parts- in case you havent checked yet, you can go just about anywhere in this world and find either Glocks and/or parts for it, e.g. magazines, sights, etc.

I do not own a Ruger SR-9. But i have been planning to. So ive been monitoring the forums here since the SR-9 came out in 2007, also ive been reading other reviews on the net and youtube. When new technology comes out, it takes me a while to decide cuz i want the bugs to be all ironed out before i take a plunge.

What ive been reading (no offense to anyone, peace!):

1. Accuracy - The accuracy of the SR-9 is questionable, but leaning towards inaccurate. Ive validated this from watching reviews on youtube and other forums. This is not to say that the SR-9 is not a good pistol, it just has "acceptable combat accuracy" as opposed to "pinpoint accuracy" of a Colt 1911 38 super. You read between the lines.

2. Durability - Im not sure what "peening" means. But ive been hearing a lot of this in the forums. In any case, i assume that its a defect. And some people have been returning their pistols to ruger for this. There have been some other complaints. So what's the deal? I prefer to have a pistol that's ready to go out of the box. Does anyone have a contrary opinion on this?

That is not to say that the SR-9 in not a fine gun. I think anything Ruger, is and should be, quality. I do own a 10/22, M3 standard, and elsiepea. They are very good guns.

As i said ive been thinking of buying the Sr-9 since it came out. But since i already have the G19, the two seem so much the same that i cant see any justification to buy the SR-9 EXCEPT for the following advantages of the SR-9:

1. Safety- Ive always distrusted the "no safety" feature of the G19. That trigger thing is, in my opinion, inadequate and dangerous. Ruger Sr-9 has a slide safety which i feel is better for carrying a loaded and chambered weapon. I rarely carry my G19 with a round in the chamber, out of safety concern, which defeats the purpose of a defensive pistol. I dont think that the "new york trigger" solves this problem for the Glock.

2. Capacity - well, plus two rounds doesn't hurt. 17rnds SR-9 vs. 15 Glock

3. Slimness - Im not sure if this is a factor, but all things being considered it depends really on the size of your hand. So this is subjective. It seems the SR-9 is slimmer than the G19, so it's an advantage for me.

4. Looks - The SR9 simply looks much more COOL than the G19, which looks like a monstrosity. Yes, form follows function indeed, but all things being equal (as in women) i would prefer the sexier one. :wink:

5. Price - SR-9 has a definite advantage here. But for us collectors, we simply buy everything to compensate for differences in prices :lol:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
As far as accuracy goes all guns will vary. But with my SR9 i can easily out shoot a glock shooter who has thousands of rounds behind the trigger. I can keep all rounds in the ten or x ring.

welder

Buckeye
mike7mm08":3jsses11 said:
As far as accuracy goes all guns will vary. But with my SR9 i can easily out shoot a glock shooter who has thousands of rounds behind the trigger. I can keep all rounds in the ten or x ring.

Here we go.

revhigh

Hawkeye
mike7mm08":2zdcg29d said:

I'd venture to guess that you're comparing shooters rather than guns. Thousands of rounds does not a shooter make ....

A fair test would be for the SAME shooter to shoot both guns, and THEN compare, wouldn't you think ?

REV

mike7mm08

Buckeye
revhigh":214fnlac said:
mike7mm08":214fnlac said:

I'd venture to guess that you're comparing shooters rather than guns. Thousands of rounds does not a shooter make ....

A fair test would be for the SAME shooter to shoot both guns, and THEN compare, wouldn't you think ?

REV
Well I cannot hit worth a damn with a glock. My shooting buddy shot slightly better than his glock with the SR9 the very first time he shot it. Not very scientific but those are my observations.

TRanger

Blackhawk
SR9 vs. Glock? I'm sorry to say there's not a comparison. The Glock may have its issues, but reliability and accuracy are not among them. They flat work and are more accurate than they should logically be. The SR9, despite its apologists, has had problems from the get-go; something I'm sorry to see, for I thought Ruger might have introduced a genuine American-made competitor.