SR9 vs. Glock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
TRanger":beyu9fxl said:
The Glock may have its issues, but reliability and accuracy are not among them.

I do not have a huge amount of time on the Glock. They are really not all that popular where I am from, but they are slowly gaining ground. I am actually really interesting in buying a Glock 33.

I do know an unlucky fellow that loves glocks, but around 1/3 of his 13 glocks came with either accuracy or reliability issues (Some requiring multiple trips back to the factory to be repaired, while a couple were never really fixed). His results do not seem to be common though. I have talked to several people that have said accuracy in there glocks was only so so until they replaced the plastic guide rod with a metal one.

Charlie

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Here is another guy that is unlucky with glocks, similar to my friend.

Hello, my name is Jimmy and I'm a Glockaholic. I own maybe 15 Glocks. I don't keep an exact count, so I can truthfully tell my wife "I don't know" when she asks me how many Glocks I have.

Anyway, obviously I like Glocks. But, no, they aren't perfect, and I've had more than my share of problems with them. Like my G17 that still won't shoot to POA after a trip back to Smyrna (yes, the problem could be me, but I don't think so). Like my G27 that came brand-new with bad mags that fed the nose of the cartridges upward into the barrel hood. Like my G29 that was one of the infamous EGN-series pistols with their weird failures to eject. Like my OD G29 whose frame cracked after 40 rounds and whose striker would fall when the slide was out of battery (Glock replaced the whole darned gun; the new one is fine). Like my G36, another lemon, that was still unreliable after three trips back to Smyrna. Finally took the loss and got rid of it.

That said, most of my Glocks have been first-class firearms that shoot where they're aimed all day without a stoppage or any other problem. For Glocks that work (and that's most of them), their reliability and durability combined with light weight and low maintenance puts them at the top of my list of carry guns.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showpost ... stcount=15

The thread was about how adding a surefire to the rail on your glock would cause reliability issues. Apparently you either need to use a plastic light/laser, or replace the recoil and magazine springs to use metal attachments.

Charlie

18jms

Bearcat
Leucoandro":yyji7qkf said:
accuracy in there glocks was only so so until they replaced the plastic guide rod with a metal one.Charlie

thats pretty funny.... I dont know any police academy or police issue guns that require a metal guide rod. How can police ever qualify!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
welder":1wskltty said:
My understanding is that the Glock will function perfectly without no guide rod at all.

Most semi-auto pistols don't really 'need' a guide rod, it is basically a spring keeper. It makes it easier to take the recoil spring in and out of the gun.

welder

Buckeye
That's what I've always heard Cheese, just an aid to reassembly. That's why I never got too excited about the metal replacement rods. There's a video on you tube where 3 guys shoot a Glock 19 1000 rds. as fast as humanly possible to prove the receiver won't melt down, the rod does and actually rattles around in the gun but the pistol never misses a beat. At the end it's so hot they can't hold it.

TRanger

Blackhawk
The Glock works and shoots just fine with the factory guide rod. The metal after-market rods rank right up there with extended slide releases for suckering people into buying unnecessarry parts. As I said, the Glock is not my favorite pistol. I once viewed it with a skeptical eye. But I have now seen literally hundreds on the firing line and have owned seven over the years, myself. Many have been in the hands of people who maintain them indifferently or not at all. I have yet to see one that had an accuracy or reliability problem that was not the fault of the user. There must be a few somewhere, but I haven't seen them. Either I have incredibly good luck, or the Glock is one heck of a dependable pistol.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
18jms":3u72ccs5 said:
Leucoandro":3u72ccs5 said:
accuracy in there glocks was only so so until they replaced the plastic guide rod with a metal one.Charlie

thats pretty funny.... I dont know any police academy or police issue guns that require a metal guide rod. How can police ever qualify!

To me, so so accuracy is combat accuracy. I am not so sure how hard it is to qualify in Police forces, but I qualify with the M9 every time I shoot it, and I have also found that M9's have the worst accuracy of any modern full sized semiauto I have ever shot. The military only requires something like 20 or 26 shots out of 40 hits on man sized targets at 25 meters. I usually get 34-35 shots out of 40 on target. Doing the same procedures as the military, only using my P94 9mm, I get 38 hits out of 40, and my grouping is about half the size.

As to guide rods having no impact on accuracy, my friend that is an engineer seemed to believe it had some impact. I also know of several people that have seen group sizes shrink when they have replaced there plastic guide rods with metal guide rods on their 92's and Glocks.

Charlie

TRanger

Blackhawk
Leucoandro":1oc33adz said:
As to guide rods having no impact on accuracy, my friend that is an engineer seemed to believe it had some impact. I also know of several people that have seen group sizes shrink when they have replaced there plastic guide rods with metal guide rods on their 92's and Glocks.

Charlie

I suspect any shrinking group sizes would be due to continued practice. The guide rod has nothing to do with accuracy.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
TRanger":3hq2t621 said:
I suspect any shrinking group sizes would be due to continued practice. The guide rod has nothing to do with accuracy.

No idea. Maybe if the spring is not retained on a stiff rod, it can flex against the barrel, pushing the barrel off slightly?

I have yet to see a semi-auto that locks up so tight that the barrel can not be shifted very slight amounts when the slide is forward in full battery.

I also suspect that a guide rod could provide some rigidity for the barrel, in a similar way as the accu-strut increases rigidity of the Mini-14 barrel.

Charlie

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Leucoandro":313pir7s said:
TRanger":313pir7s said:

No idea. Maybe if the spring is not retained on a stiff rod, it can flex against the barrel, pushing the barrel off slightly?

I have yet to see a semi-auto that locks up so tight that the barrel can not be shifted very slight amounts when the slide is forward in full battery.

I also suspect that a guide rod could provide some rigidity for the barrel, in a similar way as the accu-strut increases rigidity of the Mini-14 barrel.

Charlie

Charlie, any tip up barrel will pivot at the lug, having a stiff guide rod or one of tight tolerances could actually cause the cycling of the slide to be impeded. There are very accurate pistols that use plastic guide rods that are far more accurate than a Glock or an SR9 or a Beretta.

ace5000

Bearcat
On another note, it seems to me that carrying a Glock with a round in the pipe is like carrying a 1911 cocked and UNLOCKED. Not too safe...

TRanger

Blackhawk
ace5000":3lur4024 said:
On another note, it seems to me that carrying a Glock with a round in the pipe is like carrying a 1911 cocked and UNLOCKED. Not too safe...

Which is why it is imperative that the Glock be carried in a proper holster.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ace5000":383zjt6f said:

Carrying a Glock with a round in the tube is no different than carrying ANY revolver with 6 rounds in the cylinder, which responsible people have been doing for decades.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
TRanger":1a7ivvji said:
ace5000":1a7ivvji said:

Which is why it is imperative that the Glock be carried in a proper holster.

As is the case with ANY gun ....

REV

ace5000

Bearcat
Do most revolvers have a 3.5 - 5 lb. trigger pull?

If it's true that "the only safety needed is the one between our ears," 99% of the planet would be "Glocking" themselves like no tomorrow...

revhigh

Hawkeye
ace5000":214jpw3u said:
Do most revolvers have a 3.5 - 5 lb. trigger pull?

If it's true that "the only safety needed is the one between our ears," 99% of the planet would be "Glocking" themselves like no tomorrow...

My Pythons do ... well ... maybe a little more ...

You're absolutely right about the only REAL safety ...

Most of the planet IS Glocking themselves like there's no tommorrow already if you include LEOs.

REV

snakespit

Bearcat
Hey conradm.

Why do you think there is no SR40 or SR45 yet?

I am not knocking Rugers, I have two of them and am watching how the SR556 is working out. But you cannot compare the SR9 against the Glock platform. The glock platform is close to perfect. The Glocks have no mechanical issues of any kind. And the problem with the SR9 has been bigger than you would like to think. If they have a big recall sign on their home page it is more than a few isolated incidents.

My point is the Glocks BEAT the SR9 (not Ruger as a whole) hands down at this point.

Just too many issues with the SR9 to compare them to a glock. I am not a Glock fan, nor do I own one. I have shot them a few times. My over all impression of them is good. They always work. They seemed plenty accurate to me. And they have a great reputation. And there has to be something to them as a lot of law enforcement agents use them.

But that's just my too cents.

With all that said I love my P95 and 22/45 Hunter :) . When I look to get a revolver a Ruger will be at the top of the list.

RUGERS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

revhigh

Hawkeye
SS

Please do not copy and paste the exact same response in multiple threads. We get the idea you're trying to convey ....

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
snakespit":1bs8axc2 said:
Hey conradm.

Why do you think there is no SR40 or SR45 yet?

I am not knocking Rugers, I have two of them and am watching how the SR556 is working out. But you cannot compare the SR9 against the Glock platform. The glock platform is close to perfect. The Glocks have no mechanical issues of any kind. And the problem with the SR9 has been bigger than you would like to think. If they have a big recall sign on their home page it is more than a few isolated incidents.

My point is the Glocks BEAT the SR9 (not Ruger as a whole) hands down at this point.

Just too many issues with the SR9 to compare them to a glock. I am not a Glock fan, nor do I own one. I have shot them a few times. My over all impression of them is good. They always work. They seemed plenty accurate to me. And they have a great reputation. And there has to be something to them as a lot of law enforcement agents use them.

But that's just my too cents.

With all that said I love my P95 and 22/45 Hunter :) . When I look to get a revolver a Ruger will be at the top of the list.

RUGERS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

The hell I can't :lol: This shooter shoots better with an SR9 vs. a Glock... I don't care about reputation. Reputation has nothing to do with the fat grip and how unnatural a Glock feels. My SR9 does everything a Glock does but better. (for me) Why would I not make the comparison?