SR9 vs. Glock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Pops 1":tlpxsidn said:
The SR9 does not come any where near to a Glock.

Why not? They're both combat accurate... have pretty much the same triggers. It all comes down to feel and what you prefer for looks. In this case the glock looks like a brick while the SR9 is sleek and sexy. :lol:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Glocks are FAR MORE than 'combat accurate', something that can't be said about the SR9. If people choose to look the other way when it comes to recalls, barrel hood and slide peening problems (that evidently can't be solved), general quality issues, 'combat accuracy', and ergonomic complaints like the safety lever, then there's no convincing them ...

'Sleek and sexy' does not a gun make. Accurate, reliable, and problem free is what I look for.

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
revhigh":2ehd7dow said:
Glocks are FAR MORE than 'combat accurate', something that can't be said about the SR9. If people choose to look the other way when it comes to recalls, barrel hood and slide peening problems (that evidently can't be solved), general quality issues, 'combat accuracy', and ergonomic complaints like the safety lever, then there's no convincing them ...

'Sleek and sexy' does not a gun make. Accurate, reliable, and problem free is what I look for.

REV

Let's see... What good is FAR MORE than combat accuracy? I bought a pistol for self defense. The SR9 is more than accurate enough for any SD situation. Yes my SR9 peened, I figured it was a normal break in thing... after 100 rounds or so it worked it self out and after 1000 or so rounds I've had zero issues... and the safety location is moot because an SD weapon shouldn't even be carried with the safety on.

Their is no argument for the glock > the SR9 IMO... they both do the same thing but one just looks better :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
ConradM":2muvkrqt said:
Let's see... What good is FAR MORE than combat accuracy?

You're kidding, right ??? Ask me that question at the range .... If someone asked you if, for about the same money, you could have a MORE accurate weapon, or a LESS accurate weapon, you'd pick the one that was 'just good enough', right ??? And you'd pick the one with the defects that have 'worked themselves out' after about 1000 rounds, but still make the gun look poorly machined and finished. And the one with the recalls that 'have now been fixed'. And the one whose trigger you needed to modify to make it acceptable, and 'Glock-like'.

For me, my guns spend FAR MORE time at the range than they do shooting bad guys (as of now it's been 100% range ... 0% shooting bad guys, thank God), and since a more accurate weapon can shoot the bad guy just as well as a less accurate weapon, I'll pick the more accurate weapon 100 out of 100 times with all other things being at least equal.

A KIA and a Mercedes do the same thing too, but all the Mercedes has over the KIA is that it 'just looks better' ? And NO, I'm not saying the SR9 is the quality of a KIA, it just needs more time to be perfected, and Ruger has REALLY got to work on the accuracy issue. I really liked the all metal P series guns that I owned, both visually, and ergonomically, but they were by far the most inaccurate guns I've ever shot, and I've shot a whole lotta guns.

If all you need is a gun that will shoot someone in the chest at 7 yards or so ... then you have the right gun. Enjoy it !

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
revhigh":241yfg1e said:
ConradM":241yfg1e said:
Let's see... What good is FAR MORE than combat accuracy?

You're kidding, right ??? Ask me that question at the range .... If someone asked you if, for about the same money, you could have a MORE accurate weapon, or a LESS accurate weapon, you'd pick the one that was 'just good enough', right ??? And you'd pick the one with the defects that have 'worked themselves out' after about 1000 rounds, but still make the gun look poorly machined and finished. And the one with the recalls that 'have now been fixed'. And the one whose trigger you needed to modify to make it acceptable, and 'Glock-like'.

For me, my guns spend FAR MORE time at the range than they do shooting bad guys (as of now it's been 100% range ... 0% shooting bad guys, thank God), and since a more accurate weapon can shoot the bad guy just as well as a less accurate weapon, I'll pick the more accurate weapon 100 out of 100 times with all other things being at least equal.

A KIA and a Mercedes do the same thing too, but all the Mercedes has over the KIA is that it 'just looks better' ? And NO, I'm not saying the SR9 is the quality of a KIA, it just needs more time to be perfected, and Ruger has REALLY got to work on the accuracy issue. I really liked the all metal P series guns that I owned, both visually, and ergonomically, but they were by far the most inaccurate guns I've ever shot, and I've shot a whole lotta guns.

If all you need is a gun that will shoot someone in the chest at 7 yards or so ... then you have the right gun. Enjoy it !

REV

Wow... you're hilarious. I personally don't think the glock is any more accurate than the SR9... At least not for this shooter. I picked the gun based on feel and ease of use. What good is your gods gift to mankind going to do me if it feels like a brick in my hand?

Again, you're exactly the type of narrow minded fanboy I was talking about.

Oh and fyi, at my first IDPA match myself and my defective SR9 out shot everyone in the competition.. that included a glock an XD, berretta, 1911... In the end it's the shooter, so don't talk to me about how match grade accurate your glock is.

TRanger

Blackhawk
ConradM":3fmra4n2 said:
and the safety location is moot because an SD weapon shouldn't even be carried with the safety on.

So all those folks packing 1911s cocked and locked are off the mark, eh? :) One advantage the SR9 has over the Glock is the inclusion of a manual safety. I carry an auto on safe and am acquainted with a couple of people who are alive today because they lost their gun to a bad guy and the BG couldn't figure out how to "activate" the pistol. This is a personal choice, but a safety is something I've come to value in an auto.

I'm not a narrow minded fan boy. The Glock is certainly not my favorite pistol; but I know they work; and they have worked from the beginning. The SR9 has had far too many issues, as evidenced by the many complaints on this very forum; even by those who are so devoted to it that they excuse its poor performance. It should never have been let out the door until it was right. Now, sadly, no matter how good Ruger might eventually make it, its reputation is already made.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
The old debate.
Personally I don't think Glocks are exactly tack drivers out of the box, I don't care for the grips, they are too fat, and the recoil is always "snappy" not sure how else to put it. It seems like the slide sits up higher or something and I percieve the slide movement a lot.

An SR9 and a Glock seem like the same as far as accuracy. More than good enough for punching paper or self defense.
But I would enjoy shooting the Ruger more because I have small hands.
I do like the Tennifer though and the breakdown of the glock.

Tough call. I think they are both pretty much equal. I guess given a free one I would take the Ruger. Just because I find glock owners an obnoxious crowd. Stupid reasoning, but something gets under my skin about the glock perfection bit.

ConradM

Blackhawk
gatorhugger":3f48nzh2 said:
The old debate.
Personally I don't think Glocks are exactly tack drivers out of the box, I don't care for the grips, they are too fat, and the recoil is always "snappy" not sure how else to put it. It seems like the slide sits up higher or something and I percieve the slide movement a lot.

An SR9 and a Glock seem like the same as far as accuracy. More than good enough for punching paper or self defense.
But I would enjoy shooting the Ruger more because I have small hands.
I do like the Tennifer though and the breakdown of the glock.

Tough call. I think they are both pretty much equal. I guess given a free one I would take the Ruger. Just because I find glock owners an obnoxious crowd. Stupid reasoning, but something gets under my skin about the glock perfection bit.

Couldn't have said it any better.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ConradM":3szv1lc8 said:
I personally don't think the glock is any more accurate than the SR9... At least not for this shooter.

What good is your gods gift to mankind going to do me if it feels like a brick in my hand?

LOL !! 'God's gift to mankind' ??? I think you're getting just a little irrational here. I don't recall anyone calling a Glock anything near 'God's gift to mankind', at least I wasn't, and never did. If anything, YOU are the one that seems willing to accept or apologize for ANY shortcomings of the SR9, of which there are many. OK, so the SR9 works for you ... great. Does that preclude a rational discussion about the merits of 2 guns ?

As I said above ... if that's what you think, and you're not able to appreciate the differences in accuracy ... then you own the right gun for you ... enjoy it.

No Glock fan boy here ...personally I prefer CZ's, Sigs, and Colts, but I give credit to Glocks simply because they are reliable and accurate tools.

Safe shooting.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
TRanger":1eu9v9mi said:
The Glock is certainly not my favorite pistol; but I know they work; and they have worked from the beginning. The SR9 has had far too many issues, as evidenced by the many complaints on this very forum; even by those who are so devoted to it that they excuse its poor performance. It should never have been let out the door until it was right.

Exactly ... I couldn't agree more with every point above.

End of discussion for me.

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
revhigh":2ditf2me said:
ConradM":2ditf2me said:
I personally don't think the glock is any more accurate than the SR9... At least not for this shooter.

What good is your gods gift to mankind going to do me if it feels like a brick in my hand?

LOL !! 'God's gift to mankind' ??? I think you're getting just a little irrational here. I don't recall anyone calling a Glock anything near 'God's gift to mankind', at least I wasn't, and never did. If anything, YOU are the one that seems willing to accept or apologize for ANY shortcomings of the SR9, of which there are many. OK, so the SR9 works for you ... great. Does that preclude a rational discussion about the merits of 2 guns ?

As I said above ... if that's what you think, and you're not able to appreciate the differences in accuracy ... then you own the right gun for you ... enjoy it.

No Glock fan boy here ...personally I prefer CZ's, Sigs, and Colts, but I give credit to Glocks simply because they are reliable and accurate tools.

Safe shooting.

REV

What shortcomings? My SR9 has none....

fallujah

Bearcat
gatorhugger":3thckb2n said:
I guess given a free one I would take the Ruger. Just because I find glock owners an obnoxious crowd.

:lol: insofar as you're referring to the members of GlockTalk, i agree.

However, the Glock owners here, including myself, are nice guys. :)

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I don't have an SR9, but have had a number of Glocks (and XD's for that matter). I liked the simplicity of the Glock, but I was always more comfortable with an external safety. I guess I'm just old fashioned. When I discovered the XD, my Glocks went away as I liked the feel of the XD better plus the safety factor of the grip safety, plus I liked the XD trigger feel better than the Glock.

That being said, I don't think I'd trade my P95R for either one of them now. I'm really old fashioned and like an external hammer and love having a decocker. But, if I had my choice of a new SR9 or a G19 or 17, I'd take the Ruger simply because I'm a Ruger fan. That may be silly, but that's me :eek:)

ConradM

Blackhawk
Pops 1":3aeg0v8v said:
Conrad M: Have you ever owned or shoot a Glock?

Read the first post. Yes I've shot a Glock, multiple times. Not impressed by them in the slightest.

18jms

Bearcat
I've shot a g17, own a 27 and own a 26.
The glock is bar far the best gun i've owned.
It shoots better, and it carrys better than any of these other guns I Own and If I have to use it I know it will work.

Springfield Armory 1911-a1
Ruger Mark II
Ruger Mark III 22/45
NAA .380
NAA 22LR MINI
Desert Eagle .50AE
BFR .500 S&W
Bond Arms 45/410
XDSC 9mm

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
400 troublefree rounds on my new SR9 and it's accurate @ 10 yards too. No peening on my 9. I put about 100 rounds on my buddie's Glock and it was a fine shooter fer sure. my sr9 shot as well as his Glock.

I willing to wager that there is a heck of a lot more good SR9s out there than how many different posters who have problems................

welder

Buckeye
fallujah":1rmydmwu said:
gatorhugger":1rmydmwu said:
I guess given a free one I would take the Ruger. Just because I find glock owners an obnoxious crowd.

:lol: insofar as you're referring to the members of GlockTalk, i agree.

However, the Glock owners here, including myself, are nice guys. :)

+1, I try to be a nice guy :D I also currently own two Glocks, they are as reliable as a hammer with no issues. I also own 10 Rugers, however no SR9. I'm just an equal opportunity gun buyer, slightly biased toward the ones that work well.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Chief_10Beers":fz4vi60h said:
400 troublefree rounds on my new SR9 and it's accurate @ 10 yards too. No peening on my 9. I put about 100 rounds on my buddie's Glock and it was a fine shooter fer sure. my sr9 shot as well as his Glock.

I willing to wager that there is a heck of a lot more good SR9s out there than how many different posters who have problems................

I agree. People take a few accounts of other people having problems with a "new" design and run with it.