SR9 trigger solution question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Otto911

Bearcat
I recently purchased a brand new SR9 and of course, as expected the trigger pull is gritty and rough.

My question is: instead of pulling the gun apart and attepting to sand down the trigger to make for a smoother pull, or running 2000 rounds through the gun to loosen up the trigger. HOW ABOUT... dry firing the gun repeatedly until the trigger feels better?

I heard that dry firing with the magazine out is perfectly fine for the gun, but dry firing with it in can cause damage?

let me know if i am out of line or any other solutions anyone may have.

ConradM

Blackhawk
You have backwards... dry-firing with the mag in is ok. If you remove the mag dc it doesn't matter how you dry-fire.

But I'm curious... if you were expecting a gritty trigger why buy an SR9?

Otto911

Bearcat
well let me clear it up... i bought the SR9 because of all the 9mm I have shot I liked the trigger the best (that SR9 was broke in). I expected a heavy trigger pull because the gun is brand new.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Otto911":2n2laz1h said:
well let me clear it up... i bought the SR9 because of all the 9mm I have shot I liked the trigger the best (that SR9 was broke in). I expected a heavy trigger pull because the gun is brand new.

oic. I got lucky with my SR9. Nor did I know about any of the issues that plague them when I bought mine.

The only problem I have with my SR9 trigger is the over-travel. I can't get a consistent pull for the life of me.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
Otto911":33tcufp0 said:
I recently purchased a brand new SR9 and of course, as expected the trigger pull is gritty and rough.

My question is: instead of pulling the gun apart and attepting to sand down the trigger to make for a smoother pull, or running 2000 rounds through the gun to loosen up the trigger. HOW ABOUT... dry firing the gun repeatedly until the trigger feels better?

I heard that dry firing with the magazine out is perfectly fine for the gun, but dry firing with it in can cause damage?

let me know if i am out of line or any other solutions anyone may have.

Theres been some reports of the striker breaking from dry firing WITH OUT a snap cap. Also theres a few places to polish up ,look in the sticky at the top of this section.

3Legged

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Yes, you will eventually end up with a smoother pull. It will also ease the tightness of your slide. But, consider this: as you cycle and dry fire, metal to metal contact wears the surfaces smooth. This results in tiny metal particles being shaved off. So, you end up with an abrasive mix of grease/oil and metal bits all in your fire control system. You will want to get that stuff outta there. I think the best way is a detail strip.

For me and my to-be-bought-tomorrow SR9c, tomorrow evening will be a detail strip and de-grease. While I am at it, I'll polish a few parts. I expect to have a nice trigger on the first trip to the range on Saturday.

Jeff

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Iron Mike Golf":2wpr1b9e said:
For me and my to-be-bought-tomorrow SR9c, tomorrow evening will be a detail strip and de-grease. While I am at it, I'll polish a few parts. I expect to have a nice trigger on the first trip to the range on Saturday.

Jeff

I would fire my new gun as stock a few times before polishing anything, JMO.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Yeah Conrad is right, the mag IN is okay, but the mag OUT is not unless you remove the mag DC (which is really easy). I've dry fired mine more than I can possibly dream of counting and yes it has helped my trigger pull. Don't hesitate to dry fire the crap out of it. I also agree with cheese that I would fire it before polishing anything just because it makes me feel better like that.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
CheesewhizI would fire my new gun as stock a few times before polishing anything said:
What is your reasoning for firing stock first? How many rounds would you fire first and what is the reason for using that number of rounds?

Burley

Bearcat
Fire the new gun for a function check. Everybody and every gun is different. It might just be fine. It might not. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Iron Mike Golf":2nbpmh6x said:
Cheesewhiz said:
I would fire my new gun as stock a few times before polishing anything, JMO.
What is your reasoning for firing stock first? How many rounds would you fire first and what is the reason for using that number of rounds?

As Burley said it's a good function test if nothing else but if you are new to pistols, I would think it better to get to know your gun before making any changes as you might have lost an important starting point.
I see, shoot and buy a fairly large amount of guns and in my time I have seen some that had some very poor modifications attempted on them and in the end, the gun probably was potentially a better shooting gun prior to these mods.
You will never achieve a good feel for a gun by just cycling the slide and dry firing it, it needs to be shot, even an experienced shooter should fire a new gun some in a couple of range sessions just to find out what he has there.

ConradM

Blackhawk
I put about 400 rounds through my XDm before I did anything to it.

That's like modding a car before driving it. :p