SR9 Trigger- any way to make it lighter, smoother?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
I have read that Ghost inc was coming out with a trigger kit for the SR9, but it has been quite a while now and no longer believe they are going to ever release one (no pun intended:)

So, does anyone know-
Where to get an SR9 trigger kit?
Know how to work on the gun to make the trigger "better"?

Thanks for ANY info on this matter...

ConradM

Blackhawk
waynejitsu":3ocw9cn4 said:
I have read that Ghost inc was coming out with a trigger kit for the SR9, but it has been quite a while now and no longer believe they are going to ever release one (no pun intended:)

So, does anyone know-
Where to get an SR9 trigger kit?
Know how to work on the gun to make the trigger "better"?

Thanks for ANY info on this matter...

You can polish the internals to make it smoother, removing the magdc may or may not have a similar effect. The only thing you can do to lighten it is to cut a few coils off of the striker spring. For some reason Ruger made the striker spring very stout. Much more than it needed to be. Some people tend to think that this will break the spring cup though.

If you decide to go this route, make sure you do it right. As in you have to punch the pin out of the striker body and actually remove the spring. If you try to cut the spring while it is in the assembly you could kink it and ruin it.

I cut my striker spring and it reduced the trigger pull weight drastically, but after about 500 rounds or so my spring cup broke. There was a big debate as to whether or not cutting the spring had anything to do with it... I still think it didn't as others have reported their spring cups breaking with no mods.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Thank you for the info:)
Do you know of any write-ups on polishing the internals?
Also, what is the "spring cup? I think I will leave that alone for now, at least until I can try the polish job:)

ConradM

Blackhawk
waynejitsu":2zi6udqi said:
Thank you for the info:)
Do you know of any write-ups on polishing the internals?
Also, what is the "spring cup? I think I will leave that alone for now, at least until I can try the polish job:)

Theres a write up at the top of the forum actually. :D

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
WOW!!!
Thanks a bunch:)
Very much appreciated..., looks like I will be voiding hy warranty soon, LOL!!

Have you tried any of these "operations

kscott

Single-Sixer
I did the polishing that Josh posted up in the Sticky, but just the contact points that I could reach from just a field strip. I didn't detail strip it though. It did help a considerable amount. Made it a lot smoother and a little lighter. As far as warranty, Ruger is normally pretty good about helping you out regardless and I can't imagine a little polishing is gonna void anything, just don't take a grinding wheel to it. :wink:

jhearne

Buckeye
:)

You won't be voiding your warranty waynejitsu, most reports back with a smoother trigger, not necessarily lighter, but smoother for sure. Lots less stacking when you pull it.

Plenty of folks have done the polishing, myself included ;).

But about any warranty, Ruger will still repair the SR9 regardless of how far you get into the gun parts-wise.

Josh

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Cool:)
You guy's are great and a great help!!

I have not been "into" powder burners for 19+ years and a LOT has changed since then, LOL!!

"if" I get time, I will look at it this weekend..., wish me luck:)

stchman

Bearcat
Am I the only one that thinks the SR9 has a good trigger? I really like it. I prefer a little heavier trigger.

People associate excellent and light for a trigger.

As far as removing the mag DC to make the trigger lighter I have not noticed any difference in trigger pull. When a magazine is inserted the mag DC is pushed up out of the way.

ConradM

Blackhawk
stchman":2igd32y7 said:
Am I the only one that thinks the SR9 has a good trigger? I really like it. I prefer a little heavier trigger.

People associate excellent and light for a trigger.

As far as removing the mag DC to make the trigger lighter I have not noticed any difference in trigger pull. When a magazine is inserted the mag DC is pushed up out of the way.

I don't think it's terrible... I think it could have been a hell of a lot better if they used a lighter striker spring.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
We are working on getting a lighter full length striker spring. Keep in mind that the lighter spring will not hit as hard so it might not set off some of the harder primers on the market. So I wouldn't carry it as a self defense pistol with this modification. The springs we are testing drop the weight about 2 lbs and it is great. Should be a really cheap mod to. And shameless plug: will work great with our stainless indicator and coated striker.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Egalloway":2aabpbvu said:
We are working on getting a lighter full length striker spring. Keep in mind that the lighter spring will not hit as hard so it might not set off some of the harder primers on the market. So I wouldn't carry it as a self defense pistol with this modification. The springs we are testing drop the weight about 2 lbs and it is great. Should be a really cheap mod to. And shameless plug: will work great with our stainless indicator and coated striker.

I'm betting it won't be an issue. When I cut my spring it felt like the pull weight went down by half and I had no light strikes on a variety of ammo.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Oh and brain fart. You should make a stainless spring cup! Why Ruger made it plastic baffles me.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Egalloway":30po4tq6 said:

Where is this going to come from?

Ganderson

Bearcat
My experience is that the full fluff/buff polish as directed by Josh's tutorial does smooth the pull, reduce "stacking" and lightens the pull by about 20%.

That is a guess as I haven't measured the pull yet but it is definitely improved and my accuracy tightened up instantly.

Talegunner

Bearcat
SR9 Trigger- any way to make it lighter, smoother?

Simply find out what Ruger has done with the SR9C ! I have both a later model SR9 & a new SR9C & I can say the Compact model has a MUCH better trigger !!! Less creep by a LONG SHOT and a little lighter trigger overall.........I'm waiting on Ghost for my SR9............TG

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
waynejitsu":2wbw51s1 said:
Egalloway":2wbw51s1 said:

From us here a Galloway Precision LLC. We should be open soon. Website will be up shortly as soon as our site provider and builder get up again now that the snow storms are slacking off. The springs are more than likely going to be provided by a manufacture in MI to our specs. The stainless steel parts will be made in house.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Egalloway":33ismv6z said:
waynejitsu":33ismv6z said:
Egalloway":33ismv6z said:

From us here a Galloway Precision LLC. We should be open soon. Website will be up shortly as soon as our site provider and builder get up again now that the snow storms are slacking off. The springs are more than likely going to be provided by a manufacture in MI to our specs. The stainless steel parts will be made in house.

How about a stainless spring cup?

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Egalloway":x9mg55js said:
waynejitsu":x9mg55js said:
Egalloway":x9mg55js said:

Are you going to make other parts for the trigger, like Ghost was supposed to be working on?
That would be GREAT!!!