SR9 Takedown Pins

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winn0040

Bearcat
I did a teardown on my SR9 last night to see how big of a task it was, and by following the detailed instructions posted by jhearne I was able to get it apart with relative ease. The problem I'm having now is getting the rearward takedown pin back into the camblock and through the gun. As far as I can tell the holes line up, but the small pin/spring that seats in the side of the camblock seems to be impeding my ability to drive the pin through. Any thoughts?

Also, I can't seem to get the pin holding mag release out either. Is it too supposed to be punched out from the right side of the gun to the left like all the other pins? My mag release is sticking to the point where it won't release on it's own if I push it from the left side. I've tried oiling it to no avail so a teardown and cleaning seems to be the only feasible option. Thanks in advance for the help.

jhearne

Buckeye
Is the spring showing through the holes?

Remember the 2 rear Camblock Pins are different and that wrong placement might not let them seem like the go in correctly. I'm at work currently so this is about the best I can do for now, if no one else can help out, after 330 I can tear my SR9 down and try and replicate the issue :)

Josh

100_1762-1.jpg

winn0040

Bearcat
Josh,

Thanks for the reply. The pins are in the correct positions, as I was sure to note that before I began reassembly. The spring is visible through the holes, and it almost seems like that is what's preventing the takedown pin from going back in. I have even gone so far as to try pushing the pin through the right side of the frame to see if I could get it in that way, but no dice. I'm skeptical to get out the hammer and start smashing away, as I would think there has to be an easy solution. The other front two pins go in with ease.

jhearne

Buckeye
It should obstruct the hole, but only slightly. You may have to take out the Camblock and reseat it and make sure it doesn't slip out of it's recess. It should only stick out into the hole a few thousandths, just enough to catch on the groove cut into the pin. That's the only purpose I think for the spring thinking offhand here though.

Try reseating the Spring in the camblock, you may have to remove the Fire Control Unit to do this. If that doesn't help, I'll have to dive in around 4 CST and see about the issue.

Josh

Grendel

Single-Sixer
My guess would also be that the small portion of the dogleg end of the pin retainer has slipped out of the cam block, as that's the particular pin location you seem to be having issue with.

I've had the pin retainer pop out of that bent portion when reinstalling the cam block, but was lucky enough to have the friction against the frame push it back into place, though I can see how it could remain outside of the channel.

I'd echo jhearne and try to remove and reinstall the cam block, taking extra care with that pin retainer. Like I show in my video, I set the cam block in until the bend in the pin retainer's channel is just about to dip into the frame. I then slip the in retainer in and hold it with my thumb while I use something to slip the small, bent end up into its channel before carefully setting the cam block into the frame completely.

-JT

winn0040

Bearcat
Thanks again for the help, guys. I'm quite certain the pin has remained in the correct position and I did try removing the camblock and starting over, but ended up with the same results. I'll give it another shot when I get home from work tonight and hopefully it gives in.

Grendel, where is this video you constructed? I would like to check it out to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
winn0040":3mxhuhgq said:
Thanks again for the help, guys. I'm quite certain the pin has remained in the correct position and I did try removing the camblock and starting over, but ended up with the same results. I'll give it another shot when I get home from work tonight and hopefully it gives in.

Grendel, where is this video you constructed? I would like to check it out to see if I'm doing something wrong.

In the 'how to' thread here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 204#809204

Reassembly is covered in the 2nd clip.

-JT

winn0040

Bearcat
It didn't take me long to figure out what the problem was. Somehow my spring was bent sideways (like a hook kind of) so instead of fitting up into the slit in the camblock it was bent into the hole the pin drives through. That would explain it not wanting to go in! I have no idea how the spring could have gotten bent like that, as this is the first time I've had it apart and was a real pain to try and bend to it fit. Hopefully my custom bend job does the trick. The pin fits in there snug when flush, so I'm guessing it will be alright. I really appreciate the help and couldn't have figured it out without you guys.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
winn0040":cah7jmtt said:
It didn't take me long to figure out what the problem was. Somehow my spring was bent sideways (like a hook kind of) so instead of fitting up into the slit in the camblock it was bent into the hole the pin drives through. That would explain it not wanting to go in! I have no idea how the spring could have gotten bent like that, as this is the first time I've had it apart and was a real pain to try and bend to it fit. Hopefully my custom bend job does the trick. The pin fits in there snug when flush, so I'm guessing it will be alright. I really appreciate the help and couldn't have figured it out without you guys.

As I recall, from a couple of aborted cam block installs, it's possible that inserting the cam block into the frame with the pin retainer askew can cause a bend like that.

-JT

winn0040

Bearcat
Now if I could only get my mag release to stop sticking I'd be once again in great shape!

jhearne

Buckeye
Hey glad you got it fixed winn0040, I did find that my pins were hard to insert and that the entire thickness of the spring sticks into the hole, but only just the thickness. Apparently you managed to bend it, but atleast you were able to straighten it out. Sorry it took so long to get back tonight, but I was getting some videos done for the SR9 How-To finally. Just wrapped the shooting and am going to start editing tonight and hopefully stay up late to upload them and get them linked in my How-To.

This weekend I'll get my Mag Release apart and get a decent How-To for that going.

Josh

winn0040

Bearcat
Josh,

I truly appreciate all the help. I'm still a bit new to pistols but am picking things up quickly. I am not sure how I managed to bend it in the first place and by doing so made it look natural (or so I thought). After a little tinkering the mag release comes apart easily, it's getting the thing to function properly that is giving me fits. The combination of a Scotchbrite pad and gun grease didn't seem to work all that well for me.

shott8283

Bearcat
i found it really easy to replace the 4 pins in order if you lay them on your work table in order and relation as you did taking them out when the weapon is referenced pointing away from you (as if you were shooting it)

the first pin (closest towards the muzzle) gets laid down first in the way it was taken out (from left to right)

then 2nd then 3rd then the 4th. while the 4th and 1st are easy since they are completely different then the two center ones.

jhearne

Buckeye
Yeah, it seems to come apart easily once you figure the sequence and tricks out. Try using a Dry Lube for the release instead of a grease. Some people say it's the best option.

Update on the video progress....shot for a good 2-3 hours trying to get it right and something was off in each one. Going to go for broke one last time and pretty much do them in one take and then upload them from work. A 4 minute video for the Magazine Disassembly was going to take an hour to upload. I ain't doing them like that. I'll upload them at work, my computer is better and my connection is faster. Will just have them edited and ready to upload first thing in the morning.

Should see an Intro, Field Strip (new), Mag DC Removal and Magazine Disassembly videos. Look this weekend for a Frame Stripping video and I'll try and figure out the best way to shoot a video for the FULL detail strip. I'll also get the Mag Release done this weekend as well and try and take a look at the Slide Internals this or next week time permitting.

Josh

winn0040

Bearcat
jhearne":3arsahc0 said:
Yeah, it seems to come apart easily once you figure the sequence and tricks out. Try using a Dry Lube for the release instead of a grease. Some people say it's the best option...

Quick update. Did the dry lube thing on the mag release and it has worked wonders. Much better than new!