SR9/SR9C safety question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ECUfan

Bearcat
I had the opportunity to hold a SR9C over the weekend at a gunshow in Greenville, NC. It felt very nice and what I thought was a reasonable price of $399.

Here is my problem. I have a mental block concerning striker fire pistols. I know that they are essentially 90% "cocked" when a round is in the chamber. Even with a thumb safety and trigger safety I am hesitant to carry concealed with a striker fire pistol. I know the SR9 is perfectly safe to carry......just trying to ease my mind a little.

With the SR9C, what functions do the thumb safety and the trigger safety serve. I know there are several folks here who can explain this in detail.

I am currently carrying a Beretta PX4 compact. It is a little shorter, the same height but much thicker. I like how thin the SR9C feels.

Thanks

kscott

Single-Sixer
I'm sure someone can explain much better than I, but I'll give you what I have; they can add on as they come.

The thumb safety does not allow the trigger to be pulled or the slide to cycle. There is also a mechanism that blocks the striker from going through the breechface to contact the primer without the trigger being pulled. The pull of the trigger pushes this blocking mechanism up out of the way to allow the weapon to fire. The trigger safety requires itself to be depressed before the trigger itself can be depressed. When you place your finger on the trigger, it basically will depress the safety. It is perfectly safe to carry. Hope this eases your a mind a little.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Thumb safety prevents the slide from cycling as well as prevents the trigger bar from moving within the fire control system.

The trigger safety blocks rearward travel of the trigger until it is depressed.

-JT