SR9 Permanent Magazine Mod for NJ 15 Rd Capacity limit?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

e.lectronick

Bearcat
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum but have been a long time fan of the SR9c.

I live in NJ where magazine capacity is limited to 15 rounds. While that still offers me far more options than states that have a 10 round limit, it limits my choice of firearms significantly.

As I mentioned, I love the SR9c. I can easily get one and learn to live with the 10 round flush fit magazine and pretend that the 17 round with the grip sleeve adapter doesn't exist, but it would make me very jealous should I look around at the range and see someone with a Glock 26, happily insert a 15 round G19 magazine into their pistol and fire away. I just don't understand why Ruger doesn't make magazines of different capacities, too.

I know I know, I could just get a Glock 26... But I'd prefer an SR9c for it's features over the Glock.

A little searching around the web revealed that the NJ state law stipulates you cannot simply put a plug in the magazine to limit the capacity because this alteration is easily removed. Any alterations to the magazine would need to be permanent. Which is why I'm posting here, today.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to permanently reducing the capacity of an SR9 17 round magazine while maintaining the same outside dimensions, same reliability and same smoothness of operation? Here is the link to the discussion on THR that got me thinking:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-419112.html

Thanks in advance to anyone with ideas about this.

Erik

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Why not add a permanent block internally to the magazines? I'm sure someone can come up with such a thing. Maybe a replacement mag base?

e.lectronick

Bearcat
Hi, Contender!

Thanks for the reply.

I think that's what I should be going for, but I'm not sure how to do it. What do folks usually use to block a magazine? Do they insert something on top of the base plate (below the spring) ? Or, do they add something to the bottom of the follower (above the spring)?

Thanks.

Erik

contender

Ruger Guru
Erik, to allow the follower to work properly, place the block in the bottom of the mag, limiting the length, not under the follower where the weight and balance would affect feeding.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I would make a block out of wood easy to work with readily available. Something light like pine. Or if you can find some type of light plastic in big enough pieces. Hard to find plastic other than sheets.Figure out how big it needs to be and error on the side of caution. Make that 15th round a real bear to get in. Install that between the magazine spring and the base plate. Now to get around the easily removable bs drill a small hole through the base plate and into your block. Run a short screw through the base plate into the block. If the screw is still considered easily removable that is easy to fix. Simply file the screw head down as much as you can and still have it hold. Or if there is enough plastic to countersink the screw head use a a bugle head screw.Then I would cover the screw head or fill it in depending on the screw type with any type of epoxy putty. You want something thick you could spread out and will stay where you want it. Jb weld would probable work or PC7. Feather the epoxy out from the screw head and cover the whole base plate once things are dry sand it out nice and even. No way the baseplate could be removed no visible easily removed hardware so I would consider that a permanent alteration. But it is'nt really. You could always sand off the epoxy drillout the screw and return the magazine to original. At most you would have to replace the base pad for cosmetic reasons.

e.lectronick

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions. I've had another thought about how to prevent an alteration from being reversed. What if I simply cut off a little of the length of the magazine where it mates with the base plate? Leaving a little material to bend into the appropriate shape to lock together the same as before it was altered?

This way, the magazine would never be a able to hold 17 rounds again.

Thoughts?
Erik

mike7mm08

Buckeye
That would work but that is a very small bend to make to be able to reattach the base plate. If you go this route I would figure out how much you need to remove and cut the section out of the center of the mag. Then a couple spot welds to join the two halves.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I used to live in NJ, I feel your pain :x

I had a CZ85 while I was living there and luckily CZ made 15 round mags.

A lot of people used to drive rivets into the sides of 30-round AR15 mags to make them into 15 rounders.

The whole mag capacity thing was assinine in NJ, it's probably half the reason I got into wheelguns and bolt action rifles, just so I wouldn't have to deal with the BS.

As far as other hi-cap mags, I had gotten a few from dealers with wood or plastic plugs in them and the dealer just told me never to take them out. A wood plug in my shotgun mag tube also passed inspection from a NJ game warden, because all it had to do was limit the capacity to 2 rounds.

e.lectronick

Bearcat
Hi, Stan

I wonder if a rivet would be the simplest option for me as well? It would have to be precisely placed. I guess I could load the mag with 15 rounds, then mark the bottom of the follower. It probably wouldn't be wise to shoot a rivet into a loaded mag, eh? :wink:

I've heard that shotguns are okay to plug with a removable device, presumably because it's only a hunting restriction, and not one for Home defense or other sporting purposes.

You guys are great. Keep coming with all your ideas. Perhaps there's an aftermarket home business in the making here... I'll wager there are lots of semi-auto owners who'd like to have 15 round capacity but only 10 and 17 round mags available...

-Erik

stantheman86

Buckeye
I would say put 15 snap caps or dummies into the mag and carefully drill a hole for a rivet or bolt, make it as clean looking as possible and so it doesn't interfere with the spring or follower.

Have you called Ruger to see if they make 15 rounders?

e.lectronick

Bearcat
Hi, Stan

Yeah, that was the first thing I did. They told me they did not make them, and that there were no plans to manufacture them. I'm not sure if NJ is the only state with the 15 round limit compared to the 10, 17 and unlimited examples out there.

PS. Am I correct in assuming a rivet is fairly impossible to remove without destroying the magazine? I wonder if a spot weld on each end would ensure it...

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Any rivet can be simply drilled out leaving just the hole in went into! If it were me, I wouldn't stress over modifying mags and just carry a couple of spare 10 rounders. Are you planning on starting a gang banger war? Doing mag mods doesn't always work out the way you think it ought to!...................Dick :wink:

e.lectronick

Bearcat
Hi, Dick

No, no wars or uprisings intended :lol: . I hope to never have to use my gun against a person, ever.

But, I've been disturbed by the restrictions imposed by my state, and then to have to further diminish the capacity out of the lack of available options is more than a little galling. It's like Ruger -while an otherwise fine gun maker- doesn't get why it's in the business of making firearms.

I'm not so sure if walking around with several extra magazines is ideal, when you should be able to carry fewer for the same round count.

Perhaps for all the trouble, a Glock is the better and more reliable option after all...

-Erik

stantheman86

Buckeye
I don't own an SR9 or SR9c, are the mags poly or metal?

I would be hesitant to put a rivet in a poly mag, if they were metal it would be much easier. I would also check with aftermarket companies like ProMag or others to see if they have mags that would be easier to rivet, or maybe by some off chance they make a 15-rounder.

e.lectronick

Bearcat
The Ruger factory mags are steel, fortunately. I've heard so so consistency reports with Pro Mags, but I have no first hand experience with which to verify it. However, as a cheap test, it might be worthwhile to use a low price magazine.

-erik