SR9 +P capability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

michael hacker

Bearcat
Hello to all, I am new to the Ruger Forum, and I'm sure this question has been asked and answered several times, but couldn't find it. So, here goes... will the SR9 handle +P ammo safely?? Better yet, will handle ALL high pressure 9mm loads??

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

22/45 Fan

Hunter
michael hacker":2ydr2m1v said:
Hello to all, I am new to the Ruger Forum, and I'm sure this question has been asked and answered several times, but couldn't find it. So, here goes... will the SR9 handle +P ammo safely?? Better yet, will handle ALL high pressure 9mm loads??

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com
You can certainly use +P ammo. However, there is no SAAMI standard for +P+ so it can be anything from just a bit more powerful to seriously overpressure for any pistol. So, no, nothing can be assumed to handle "ALL high pressure 9mm loads" since there is no standard above +P.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
22/45 Fan":2ql4yi3r said:
You can certainly use +P ammo. However, there is no SAAMI standard for +P+ so it can be anything from just a bit more powerful to seriously overpressure for any pistol.
SAAMI 9mm Luger 35,000 psi
9 mm NATO 36,550 psi
SAAMI 9mm Luger +P 38,500 psi

9mm Luger +P+ ???? no defined standard.

The proofing test pressure used in both the 9 mm Luger C.I.P. proof test and 9mm NATO proof test is 45,687 psi.

According to the official C.I.P. (Commission Internationale Permanente Pour L'Epreuve Des Armes A Feu Portatives) guidelines the 9x19mm Parabellum case can handle up to 235 MPa (34,083 psi) piezo pressure. In C.I.P. regulated countries every pistol cartridge combo has to be proofed at 130% of this maximum C.I.P. pressure to certify for sale to consumers.

Since it has to pass a 30% safety margin proof test, it is safe to say that the Ruger SR9 is going to handle "normal" ammo that is reasonably close to specifications.

If someone wants to run +P+ for "extra power", you should just purchase a 10mm instead of a 9! :D

GaryT

Bearcat
I had a box of +P+ Hydra Shock ammo that I picked up in my former employment and on a range trip with my previous SR9 I mistakenly took that box with me. I put 50 rounds through my SR9, in addition to 100 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of Federal Hydra Shock. I couldn't tell the difference between the +P+ and the +P Hydra Shock, although my wife, who was photographing the range session wondered why some rounds had more flash than others. No real difference in felt recoil, and just as accurate as the others. Didn't cause any problems with the gun at all.

wingspar

Bearcat
Well, interesting. Another new member from Oregon here. And, another photographer too. :) I had the same question on the SR9, so I sent an email to Ruger just yesterday. Here is their response.

Comment / question:
I am in the process of determining which new handgun to buy. The SR9 is on my short list. From a discussion of ammo with others, I have this question. Will the SR9 handle +P and +P+ ammo?

Response:
The SR9 will handle both +P and +P+ ammunition.

It's worth noting, and repeating, what Mr. Frog points out . . . there is no SAAMI standard for +P+ in 9mm ammo.

The "operator's manual" for the SR9 says . . .

"The SR9 pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition of the correct
caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollowpoint loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm Parabellum ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."

Tuck this piece of information away for future reference, regardless of what anybody tell you. This is what Ruger publishes, and you can bet if you have issues with your pistol it just might come up in the conversation.

JMHO
:D

michael hacker

Bearcat
Thanks to all of you who gave a simple, to the point answers to my question. I didn't need tons of complicated SAMMI data, just a short simple yes or no. And by the way, I am a blue steel democrat, so the nasty political commentary is just is unneccessary. Please folks, this is a Ruger gun forum, not a political forum. And hello to my fellow photographers out there...

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
michael hacker":2rrflfai said:
Thanks to all of you who gave a simple, to the point answers to my question. I didn't need tons of complicated SAMMI data, just a short simple yes or no. And by the way, I am a blue steel democrat, so the nasty political commentary is just is unneccessary. Please folks, this is a Ruger gun forum, not a political forum. And hello to my fellow photographers out there...

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

Hello,I just read this thread that you started from the beginning, the only person who brought up "Political Parties" was you! Your complaint directed at this forum is un-called for!!!! I do agree that nasty comments of any kind are unnecessary! have a great day...

22/45 Fan

Hunter
wingspar":1fz3vqsc said:
Comment / question:
I am in the process of determining which new handgun to buy. The SR9 is on my short list. From a discussion of ammo with others, I have this question. Will the SR9 handle +P and +P+ ammo?

Response:
The SR9 will handle both +P and +P+ ammunition.
Very interesting reply considering no one REALLY knows what +P+ is.

I assume that "+P+" ammo loaded by the large commercial manufacturers like federal, Winchester, Remington, etc. isn't too extreme and Ruger says it's safe in the SR9. The stuff loaded by the small reloading suppliers is anybody's guess.

Note to Michael Hacker: yes, you do need the "tons of complicated SAAMI data..." to have any understanding as to why the answer isn't a simple yes or no.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
michael hacker":3po3fppx said:
And by the way, I am a blue steel democrat, so the nasty political commentary is just is unneccessary.
Just like a liberal, if you don't like what someone's free speech is stating you try to shut it up instead of just ignoring it. If you don't like my signature, get over it.

wingspar

Bearcat
22/45 Fan":1pip71jx said:
Very interesting reply considering no one REALLY knows what +P+ is.

I assume that "+P+" ammo loaded by the large commercial manufacturers like federal, Winchester, Remington, etc. isn't too extreme and Ruger says it's safe in the SR9. The stuff loaded by the small reloading suppliers is anybody's guess.

Mmm. Didn't know there were any other replies to this thread.

Someone in another forum, and I can not find that post, and I've tried, posted numbers for factory loads, +P loads and +P+ loads, which are a little hotter than +P loads. Most of this is new to me, and I recently ordered some +P 9mm for shooting in my Marlin Camp 9. I found out after I ordered the ammo that since it is NATO ammo, NATO ammo is always +P, but I found out after I ordered the ammo that the Camp 9 is not rated for +P ammo. I found that out thru an informative member on another forum, hence my email to Ruger on the +P and +P+ ammo. The ammo arrives via the brown truck tomorrow, but I'll just put it in storage till I decide on which new handgun, and make the purchase.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
wingspar":31e9k832 said:
Mmm. Didn't know there were any other replies to this thread.

Someone in another forum, and I can not find that post, and I've tried, posted numbers for factory loads, +P loads and +P+ loads, which are a little hotter than +P loads. Most of this is new to me, and I recently ordered some +P 9mm for shooting in my Marlin Camp 9. I found out after I ordered the ammo that since it is NATO ammo, NATO ammo is always +P, but I found out after I ordered the ammo that the Camp 9 is not rated for +P ammo. I found that out thru an informative member on another forum, hence my email to Ruger on the +P and +P+ ammo. The ammo arrives via the brown truck tomorrow, but I'll just put it in storage till I decide on which new handgun, and make the purchase.
The data on standard, NATO and +P pressures was given on page 1 of this thread. Here it is again:

"SAAMI 9mm Luger 35,000 psi
9 mm NATO 36,550 psi
SAAMI 9mm Luger +P 38,500 psi

9mm Luger +P+ ???? no defined standard."

Note that the NATO pressure spec is somewhat higher than standard pressure but not as high as +P.

wingspar

Bearcat
22/45 Fan":26yx4wd9 said:
Note that the NATO pressure spec is somewhat higher than standard pressure but not as high as +P.

Well, when I mentioned that I ordered this ammo in another forum, someone told me that this was NATO ammo, and he thought that all NATO ammo was +P. The thread went for some 24 posts, and no one disputed what he said about NATO being +P, so I have been going by that.

WinRangerbox.jpg

It has this description:

This is Winchester Ranger 9mm NATO Mil-Spec. 124gr. FMJ Ammo. This ammo was manufactured for a military contract. We got some of the left over inventory when the contract was over. This ammo is manufactured to U.S. and NATO Military Spec's. It is headstamped WCC with the NATO Cross. This is the best 9mm Available at this time. It comes in 50rd. boxes, 500rds. per case.

I just looked, but this is ammo no longer available, so all I have is the photo and description from the other forum.

I just googled "Ammo Pressures" and came up with this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpressure_ammunition

This is one line from that link:

"The +P+ designation is not currently used by the SAAMI, but is used by some manufacturers to designate loads that exceed the +P SAAMI specification. One source lists the 9x19 mm +P+ loading as having a pressure of 42,000 psi, and 18% increase over the standard pressure of 35,000 psi, and the .38 Special +P+ as 22,000, a 29% increase over the standard pressure".

This corroborates what I was told in another forum. This is all new to me, and interesting, and I want to learn about the different loadings and understand them.

Part of all of this comes from ordering the NATO ammo to shoot thru my Marlin Camp 9. After ordering, I found out that I can not shoot +P ammo thru the carbine, but I did not know to ask about NATO ammo and my Camp 9, so I wonder if anyone here might have that gun, and knows if NATO ammo can be shot in the Camp 9?

I did come up with this, but not sure it was a reliable source.

Pressure specs for 9mm (max):

Standard pressure: 37,400 psi
+P: 38,500 psi
+P+: 40,000 psi
NATO: 42,000 psi
"Proof loads": 49,800 psi

Only standard pressure and +P are manufactured to SAAMI specs.

Latest posts