SR9 or G19?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Ok boys'n'girls, I know we've been through this before but I'm going to buy either an SR9 (Hopefully OD) or a G19. Now, knowing all that I know (Not much, "everytime I learn something new, some old stuff falls outta my brain") I actually PREFERE the G19 (that's right, whaddaya gonna do about it?! :p ), but going with the SR9 saves me about a hundred bucks. What to do what to do. I might wait for the SR9c to get into California, but I'm not a patient man. And, (take it EASY on me) I actually find the Glock more attractive than the SR9. That's right, I said it. I think it goes something like this, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I love the way the Glock looks. I find it hard NOT to have faith in the Glock. The SR9 (on the other hand) has had it's problems. Anyone care to sway me one way or the other? I'm all ears, and I will consider all opinions. Thanks all,

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
BTW, I'm keeping the P89, I trust that thing with my life, beautiful weapon. I am getting rid of the P95 to help finance the G or SR9. Tax money will lend a helping hand :D. So, it's likely I'll be a Glock/Ruger fan SOON.

raw6464

Bearcat
The Glocks ubiquitous popularity speaks for itself. The G19 is probably the most popular single gun model on the planet.

The SR9 peening issue would keep me away for it. I'm already a Ruger/Glock fan. I think the Ruger Blackhawk is the best SA gun on the planet . But when it comes to semiauto's you can't deny the virtues that makes Glock so popular.

Edit: The peening problem is hurting Ruger. I think the best thing they could do is fess up and recall. Send a letter out to the SR9 owners if the barrel peens send it back. I would not buy a gun with a known problem no matter how many of the guns affected. Some of Rugers CS replies to people on this forum with the problem is just plain wrong. Hey Ruger... DO THE RIGHT THING and we will shout out the virtues of your excellent CS

9Mill_Bill

Bearcat
What is the normal price for a Glock 19? I ask because when I bought my black sr9, there was a glock 19 right next to it. I think it was $425 or $430. The SR9 and G19 were with in $5 of eachother. Maybe the glock was used...idk for sure. It looked new! I can give you the shops number if you like....he is in PA though.

I chose the SR9, it just fit my hand perfectly...and looks pretty damn cool too. I didn't choose the glock because of the grip felt fat to me, and the lack of a safety.... THAT's it, no other reason. Honestly, I know a $100 is $100....but if you really like the G19....I would get it!

FYI, I had my SR9 at the range yesterday and it fired off 103 rounds flawlessly. Couple people checked it out, they seemed to really like it. Took the gun home, cleaned it....not one sign of any wear/peening. 3 of those rounds were +p ammo also. I hope the gun stays away from the peening, time will tell. I really like this gun, good luck to ya!!

Mike J

Hunter
Truth-My opinion is that you should get what works best for you. If the Glock is what you really want that is the one you should get. Have you shot a G-19 yet. If you can rent one I would suggest trying one out before buying it.

stchman

Bearcat
Since this is a Ruger forum we are going to be a touched biased.

I think the SR9 is more a direct competitor of the Glock 17 not the 19.

When I was buying my 9mm pistol I had is narrowed down to the Glock 17 and the SR9. I went to the local gun store and fingered them both quite a bit.

After all was said and done, the SR9 felt better in my had, they both had the same trigger pull, and the SR9 looked much better in its two tone dress.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
You can find a used Glock 19 for $350-$450, depending. There is very little that can be broken on a Glock but you can send it in to Glock to have them give it the once over...better yet, find a local GSSF match and take it to the armorer there who will fix anything that is wrong with it for free. A new G19 is going to cost you close to $500, or more.

You can find a new SR9, or SR9c (a more direct comparison to the G19) for $400.

I have both, love both, shoot both, but carry the SR9c.

Find a range that rents guns and shoot them both and see what you prefer from a fit, functionality and feel. Buy the one that you like the most...if it's the one that you think looks better then so much the better...but buy the one that you shoot best and that feels best.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

cbumgar1

Bearcat
I just bought an OD SR9 a couple weeks ago and it is perfect. I can't believe you think a Glock is better looking though! I think Glock is about the ugliest gun ever and that is one of the big reasons I went with the SR9 over the 17 and 19. The SR9 fits perfect in my hand and shoots exactly where I point it. About 200 rounds of Federal and Winchester ammo through it with no problems. I would probably buy a Glock if I didn't think they were so hideous or if I had to carry it every day I would buy a G19. So if you think the Glock is better looking go with a Glock, but I bet you the SR9s with issues that you are worried about are a very small percentage of the population. Good Luck

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I would forget everything you read on the Internet and go fondle each and shoot each side by side and see what you think. At the end of the day when it comes to your safety and piece of mind does it really matter what name is on the gun? and does it really matter what other people think?

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
stchman":2qsi7hv9 said:
Since this is a Ruger forum we are going to be a touched biased.

I think the SR9 is more a direct competitor of the Glock 17 not the 19.

When I was buying my 9mm pistol I had is narrowed down to the Glock 17 and the SR9. I went to the local gun store and fingered them both quite a bit.

After all was said and done, the SR9 felt better in my had, they both had the same trigger pull, and the SR9 looked much better in its two tone dress.

I agree with stchman; the Glock 17 is a better comparison to the SR9. The new SR9c is size matched to the Glock 19. You can order an SR9c on the internet, but you will lose the extra 17 round mag to a 10 rd. since you live in a prohibitive state.

That said, the G19 is a proven platform. I own one and it is fantastic. You might be able to find a police trade somewhere (maybe SummitgunBroker.com) and save yourself quite a bit of money.

pb

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
The G19 and SR9 are VERY similar in size---the G17 is huge in comparison.

The Glock feels like brick--the SR9 feels great--very slim and American made.

The thing is---with the whole peening issue--the Glock is the obvious choice.

I promply traded off my SR9 after Ruger fixed it. Its officially on my DO NOT BUY list.

Ruger really needs to get their act together on this pistol---my gun needs to work NOW when I need it---not crap out and wait a month to get it back. Maybe in 3 years when I hear no more reports of SR9 problems--I might come back.

If you want a bullet proof Ruger---get a P95.

revhigh

Hawkeye
buckshotshorty":3dxxct35 said:
The Glock 17 is a better comparison to the SR9.

The new SR9c is size matched to the Glock 19

Owning a G26 and having handled an SR9C last weekend, I can tell you for a fact that the above statements are not exactly true.

The SR9C is FAR, FAR closer to the size of the G26 than the G19.

As mentioned above, the SR9 is closer to the G19 than the G17, the G17 is a LOT bigger than the SR9.

UPDATE - Ya know ... I got to thinking about it, and I just reviewed the 'actual specs' of both guns ... and although the height and length of the SR9 IS IN FACT closer to the 'specs' of the G17, as compared to the G19, the barrel length of the G19 is almost exactly the same as the SR9.

In practical hands on comparison, I think that most people would say the SR9 and the G19 are closest in actual size to each other. I'm guessing that it's the 'method of measurement' that makes it seem that the G17 and the SR9 are more compatible.

According to the 'measurements', the SR9 is LONGER and WIDER than the G17, yet the barrel is only 12/100's (less than 1/8 inch) longer than the G19. What's up with that ???? Different measurement methods.

THe SR9 is far more 'svelte' than ANY Glock for sure, but the Glock reputation for reliability and trustworthyness easily trumps the problem plagued SR9, and the 'unknown' quality of the SR9C.

REV

stchman

Bearcat
revhigh":3d7i1wbh said:
buckshotshorty":3d7i1wbh said:
The Glock 17 is a better comparison to the SR9.

The new SR9c is size matched to the Glock 19

Owning a G26 and having handled an SR9C last weekend, I can tell you for a fact that the above statements are not exactly true.

The SR9C is FAR, FAR closer to the size of the G26 than the G19.

As mentioned above, the SR9 is closer to the G19 than the G17, the G17 is a LOT bigger than the SR9.

UPDATE - Ya know ... I got to thinking about it, and I just reviewed the 'actual specs' of both guns ... and although the height and length of the SR9 IS IN FACT closer to the 'specs' of the G17, as compared to the G19, the barrel length of the G19 is almost exactly the same as the SR9.

In practical hands on comparison, I think that most people would say the SR9 and the G19 are closest in actual size to each other. I'm guessing that it's the 'method of measurement' that makes it seem that the G17 and the SR9 are more compatible.

According to the 'measurements', the SR9 is LONGER and WIDER than the G17, yet the barrel is only 12/100's (less than 1/8 inch) longer than the G19. What's up with that ???? Different measurement methods.

THe SR9 is far more 'svelte' than ANY Glock for sure, but the Glock reputation for reliability and trustworthyness easily trumps the problem plagued SR9, and the 'unknown' quality of the SR9C.

REV

From the Glock site and Ruger site.

G17
L = 7.32"
H = 5.43"
W = 1.18"
Wt = 22.04oz

G19
L = 6.85"
H = 5.00"
W = 1.18"
Wt = 20.99oz

G26
L = 6.29"
H = 4.17"
W = 1.18"
Wt = 19.75oz

SR9
L = 7.55"
H = 5.52"
W = 1.27"
Wt = 26.50oz

SR9c
L = 6.85"
H = 4.61"
W = 1.27"
Wt = 23.40oz

As you can see the G17 is in fact SMALLER than the SR9 in ALL dimensions including weight.

The SR9c is more directly comparable to the G19 than the G26. Their dimensions are very close except the G19 is quite a bit lighter. The G19 also holds 5 more rounds than the SR9c. I guess Ruger could make an extended mag to hold more.

I agree while the SR9 "feels" smaller than the G17 it is not.

raw6464

Bearcat
Buying a gun with a known problem versus another gun with no problems but it's "ugly" make about as much sense as banging your head against the wall because it feels so good when you stop. :D

kscott

Single-Sixer
Stchman... I think rev is saying that the methods they use to measure are different which makes the measures not directly comparable. For example top of sights to bottom of mag vs. Top of slide to bottom of grip. Excuse me for trying to put words in your mouth rev especially if I misinterpreted you.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
raw6464":1pbjjs0z said:
Buying a gun with a known problem versus another gun with no problems but it's "ugly" make about as much sense as banging your head against the wall because it feels so good when you stop. :D

raw, are calling the SR9 "ugly"?

welder

Buckeye
raw6464":17cj1zai said:

+1. Reliability is paramount. Durability, (for me anyway), is a close second. Glock makes that choice simple. The 19 is my ccw gun of choice and has never disappointed me in any way. That said, at last count I owned 11 Rugers, but will stay away from the SR's, in any size.

1911master

Bearcat
I will add that I own the G17, G19 and SR9. All are great pistols but you will find me carring the SR9 everyday. The G17 has about 5,000 down the barrel, the G19 about 3,000 and the SR9 only 200. I have had no problems with any of these pistols. I am really impressed with the SR9 and really like carring this pistol. Jim

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
welder":1se43qtt said:
raw6464":1se43qtt said:

+1. Reliability is paramount. Durability, (for me anyway), is a close second. Glock makes that choice simple. The 19 is my ccw gun of choice and has never disappointed me in any way. That said, at last count I owned 11 Rugers, but will stay away from the SR's, in any size.

I have about 9,000 rounds through my SR9 after two years and a couple of months and have had no failures at all, none, not one.

cbumgar1

Bearcat
I would consider the statements of the two posters above me over the hearsay of others who do not own a SR9. Do you people who keep saying how reliable all of the Glocks in the world are actually have any hard evidence about it being so much more reliable than the SR9? I don't care if every policeman owns one I am just wondering if you have any numbers. You people act like every SR9 leaving the factory is going to have peening issues and fall apart after you touch it. Give me a break...