SR9 or G19?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbumgar1

Bearcat
raw6464":2skm0yqs said:
Buying a gun with a known problem versus another gun with no problems but it's "ugly" make about as much sense as banging your head against the wall because it feels so good when you stop. :D

I guess you were referring to my post earlier. There were a few known problems with the Glock for me. The price, I don't like the feel of a Glock in my hand, and yes they are the ugliest. Also, it seems like everyone has one which makes it less appealing to me.

Mike J

Hunter
cbumgar-If you want to know why some are concerned about the SR9 use the search function on the forum on it & look at how many problems have been posted. I do believe most of them probably work as designed but there have been many posts about problems.
As far as which pistol Truth should buy my opinion is he should handle & shoot as many guns as possible before choosing. Everybody needs to find what works best for them. If that was the same for everyone we wouldn't have so many different brands & platforms.
I wanted an SR9 when they first came out. By the time I was ready to buy another gun I was turned off to it because of all the problems I had read about. I hope they have the peening issue resolved I would like to see Ruger do well.

revhigh

Hawkeye
kscott":360yyxfw said:
Stchman... I think rev is saying that the methods they use to measure are different which makes the measures not directly comparable. For example top of sights to bottom of mag vs. Top of slide to bottom of grip. Excuse me for trying to put words in your mouth rev especially if I misinterpreted you.

No problem KS ... you just said it far more eloquently than I did ! :D

REV

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I didn't read the replies as I really don't need to...

GLOCK 19!

With the Glock you can use any mag for the Glock 19, 17, or the larger mags designed for the Glock 18. There are WAY more holster options, sights are easy to upgrade, and there are lots of other upgrades too. The Glock is one of if not the toughest pistols in the world and it is easy to buy plenty of spare parts that you can replece yourself if WWIII strikes tomorrow and you do somehow manage to break a part (which I doubt the average shooter can ever do).

In addition you can convert your Glock 19 to 22lr through a 22 conversion or 357 Sig or 40 S&W by buying a second slide and barrel. In addition the Glock is mindlessly easy to field strip (just need to not be an idiot and check if the gun is loaded before you pull the trigger). The Glock is a true combat pistol in my mind and I carry a Glock 19 most every day.

Good Luck, but I will never own a Ruger SR9 but I have half a dozen Glocks (G21x2, G17 x2, G19, G26) plus several 22 conversions and Glock 20 uppers for the Glock 21s so I can use the big dawgs in 10mm too.

EDIT TO ADD: Glocks are made in the USA too

stchman

Bearcat
Quarterbore":1myoufy6 said:
I didn't read the replies as I really don't need to...

GLOCK 19!

With the Glock you can use any mag for the Glock 19, 17, or the larger mags designed for the Glock 18. There are WAY more holster options, sights are easy to upgrade, and there are lots of other upgrades too. The Glock is one of if not the toughest pistols in the world and it is easy to buy plenty of spare parts that you can replece yourself if WWIII strikes tomorrow and you do somehow manage to break a part (which I doubt the average shooter can ever do).

In addition you can convert your Glock 19 to 22lr through a 22 conversion or 357 Sig or 40 S&W by buying a second slide and barrel. In addition the Glock is mindlessly easy to field strip (just need to not be an idiot and check if the gun is loaded before you pull the trigger). The Glock is a true combat pistol in my mind and I carry a Glock 19 most every day.

Good Luck, but I will never own a Ruger SR9 but I have half a dozen Glocks (G21x2, G17 x2, G19, G26) plus several 22 conversions and Glock 20 uppers for the Glock 21s so I can use the big dawgs in 10mm too.

EDIT TO ADD: Glocks are made in the USA too

Congrats you have 1/2 a dozen Glocks, cool.

If you are so anti Ruger then why are you on a Ruger forum?

I thought I finally found a forum that I could talk about Ruger firearms. I cannot get away from Glock, Sig, HK, etc. elitism no matter how hard I try.

http://www.glocktalk.com/

I am sure the AR folks are on here to to pimp their toys as well.

I understand Glocks are reliable and have many accessories. Also I hate it when Glock zealots quote police usage for reliability. Horse manure. If you get a policeman to put 50 rounds a year through their service pistol you are lucky. I generally go through a 100 rounds in a range trip per firearm.

I cannot speak of others, but my SR9 has been excellent. It always fires and never gives me any trouble. I guess I am just lucky.

I don't care that some Glocks are made in the US, they are still an Austrian company.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I'm an SR9 owner. When I bought it, I compared it to a used G31C (.357 sig). There was a brand new G17 there too. The SR9 and G31C were the same price. I have shot a couple of Glocks. Great guns. One of my next purchases is going to be a G20C. Glock does have more after market available, but the guns have been around in the same basic form for almost 30 years.

As for shooting each, the SR9 is a much nicer gun to shoot. It's way more comfortable in the hand and while carrying. More accurate too. I've sent 1500 to 2000 rounds through my Ruger since early December. I've got very, very slight peening. I didn't even know I had it until I read a forum on it. And not one of those forums did a person mention any form of malfunction from their peening SR9. I will suggest it to anyone. But, if you want a Glock, get one. They are great guns too.

revhigh

Hawkeye
CanonLyles":2e65t1yi said:
And not one of those forums did a person mention any form of malfunction from their peening SR9.

Just an FYI, I believe we've had several people indicate that their SR9 'locked up' due to extreme peening.

In general, though, I think you're correct, although I think a lot of the SR9's that were sent back at the first notice of peening would have had failures if they kept shooting them.

If it peens .... send it back.

REV

raw6464

Bearcat
cbumgar1":29vlt6d7 said:
raw6464":29vlt6d7 said:
Buying a gun with a known problem versus another gun with no problems but it's "ugly" make about as much sense as banging your head against the wall because it feels so good when you stop. :D

I guess you were referring to my post earlier. There were a few known problems with the Glock for me. The price, I don't like the feel of a Glock in my hand, and yes they are the ugliest. Also, it seems like everyone has one which makes it less appealing to me.

Well I didn't direct my post to you in particular. The words ugly and Glock have been used in many posts and forums.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I must say from the outside view, Glocks can be improved... but since they're probably the most popular semiautos on the planet, why should Glock change it.

Having said that... when you take the slide off and look inside the frame and slide, you find the REAL beauty of a Glock semiautomatic weapon. At first glance you start looking for the missing parts but as you study the actions architecture you come to realize the beauty of the engineering put into this gun.

Yes it's been around for 30 years. But that hits home when you realize NOBODY even after 30 years has been able to improve on Gaston Glocks 30 year old design, considering the best gun manufacturers on the plant have tried. They usually end up with some sort of copycat with more parts and weighs more... some have even went out of production. A Glock is an unequaled engineering design that only one gun up to now has obtained that stature... a 1911.

So at the end of the day I have not doubt Glock will outlast the SR9 and most other manufacturing companies Glock copy cats like S&W, Springfield to name a few.

raw6464

Bearcat
cbumgar1":2y6p1acs said:
I would consider the statements of the two posters above me over the hearsay of others who do not own a SR9. Do you people who keep saying how reliable all of the Glocks in the world are actually have any hard evidence about it being so much more reliable than the SR9? I don't care if every policeman owns one I am just wondering if you have any numbers. You people act like every SR9 leaving the factory is going to have peening issues and fall apart after you touch it. Give me a break...

You want numbers and you won't take every policeman as an endorsement? Policemen and people in the LE trust their lives with the weapon they carry. It's not about putting holes in paper like most of us, so any numbers I could come up with really aren't needed to compare a Glock to an SR9. The SR9 has already been recalled and on the brink of another with the peening problem. Maybe facing another recall is why Ruger is so adamant that the SR9 is NOT peening and not recalling.

Look I'm not saying the SR9 is a POS. It's not, even with the recalls and peening. But when the rubber meets the road, it's not a Glock. Glocks will be here when the SR9 is long gone.... the SR9 is not Rugers first attempt to copycat a Glock and it won't be their last.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
stchman":34ps2yog said:
Another "Glock can do no wrong" person.

I don't know which is worse, Glock or AR fanboys.

Funny how someone with so few posts can claim they came here to talk about Rugers yet get their tighty whities in a bind when people think a Glock is a better system then the Ruger SR9.

The nice thing about this hobby is different maufactures offer different products. I am a member at Glocktalk and if I want to talk Glocks or a person wants more feedback that is a great place to go. I also love AR-15s and AR15.com is the place for that. I also like FNFALs and FALFILES.com is the place for that. I also like UZIs and UZItalk.com is the place for that. I really love the Ruger 10/ss and MKII and frankly the site for those is RIMFIRECENTRAL.com

Now, if you go to any of those sites you will find a few people that like Ruges and some models better then others. This site is primarily oriented around Ruger Revolvers. There are a few here that like Ruger's other offerings but the focus that has me here is the revolvers.

Finally, if you want to argue that I can't show you fault with the SR9, and I never did post I could, then I challenge you to show examples of SR9s that have anywhere near the use that Glocks have gone through.

This thread is going nowhere and likely should be locked but just because you have not tried something or it doesn't work for you doesn't mean that the millions of others that do like it are wrong. Like I said, I have no use for an SR9 but then again I have no use for the various P models or Ruger 77s either. I do like Ruger revolvers however and that is why I am here.

revhigh

Hawkeye
stchman":35b3oiq1 said:
Is peening really that big of a problem or are there just a remote few that are getting it very vocal?

The informal survey done right HERE a month or so ago puts the percentage at about 33%. About 1 in 3 develop the peening. That's not to say that 1 in 3 SR9's in the WORLD develop it, but even if 1 in 5 did ... those odds are too high for me to play ...

REV

Mike J

Hunter
I saw the same survey done on another forum Rev. The stats there were closer to 1 in 5.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":27hp7edz said:
I saw the same survey done on another forum Rev. The stats there were closer to 1 in 5.

I don't doubt it Mike ...

REV

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I own a SR9 and have never had any trouble with it - only approx 1000 rounds downrange though. I feel comfortable carrying it; but honestly carry the SP101 more often... why? I'm a fan of revolvers and the SP101 fits my needs perfectly and I have shot it a lot more.
With that being said, I have been looking at the G26 and will most likely buy one this year with plans to carry it; but I will not carry it until I have shot it a lot; regardless of what others tell me. My point, buy a gun that you like, shoot it a lot and if it works and is comfortable to you, then use it to carry. If not, they are easy to sell and do not lose too much value, then buy another until you get what works best for you.

revhigh

Hawkeye
tookalisten":32jotsmz said:
I have been looking at the G26 and will most likely buy one this year with plans to carry it

:D :D :D Works perfect in the pocket !!

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

REV

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
tookalisten,
You got the right idea. If you're looking for the utmost reliability; get a wheel gun. Double action. You might only have 5 or 6 shots, but by God, if one doesn't fire just sqeeze the trigger again an you have a 99.99993% chance that the next round will.

rev,
Thanks for the info. But, I, personally, haven't read about any lock ups. And, I've read quite a few. LOL I clean & inspect every gun I shoot at night after I'm done. I might just wipe off finger prints and check the barrel, but I pay attention to wear and dirt/powder/grime. Speaking of which, I REALLY need to wipe down the frame of the OD SR9. The front is filthy. lol

G XXII

Bearcat
cbumgar1":1r9uv4z1 said:
I would consider the statements of the two posters above me over the hearsay of others who do not own a SR9. Do you people who keep saying how reliable all of the Glocks in the world are actually have any hard evidence about it being so much more reliable than the SR9? I don't care if every policeman owns one I am just wondering if you have any numbers. You people act like every SR9 leaving the factory is going to have peening issues and fall apart after you touch it. Give me a break...

My experiance is that my SR9 has equalled the reliability of my Glocks and vis-a-versa .... so far. I know that SR9's are new guns when compared to the Glocks so time will tell, but so far so good