SR9, my first pistol and first trip to the range.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9Mill_Bill

Bearcat
All I can say is wow! I only fired off 103 rounds, but man it was fun as hell! I've never fired a pistol before, so my father in law took me to the range to watch over me.

I shot a 100 rnd box of 115grain wwb, and I fired off 3 of my hollow points...115 grain +p magnatech gaurdian gold. Not one single problem, it shot all rounds flawlessly. That made me happy being my first time and no jams, stove pipes, etc. My aim is another story, but I got better as I went. I didn't change the sights at all, because I think it's just me, it was cold and my hands were a little shakey too.

I got home and took the gun apart to check the barrel, I don't see anything like peening. So for now it all looks good!

I can see me getting hooked on shooting very easily now, it was great fun! I just wanted to post this and let everyone know how it worked, considering the history of the SR9. I think my all black pistol is definately a keeper!

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
It's been 46 years since I fired my first shot from a pistol. It's refreshing to hear your first experience. I share your joy, and I'm glad it was a good one for you.

Congrats on the new gun....best wishes for many years of good shooting ahead!

batmann

Single-Sixer
Congrats on you first outing! Keep us posted on your and the pistol's progress. I want one, but have been holding off because of the peening problem.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Congrats! Next thing you know you'll be competing in IDPA. So what stance did you use? Weaver or Isosceles?

9Mill_Bill

Bearcat
ConradM":9myfycqf said:
Congrats! Next thing you know you'll be competing in IDPA. So what stance did you use? Weaver or Isosceles?

I went with the weaver stance, and that is simply because I can't completely straighten my right arm ( elbow injury, years ago).

I also wanted to mention the recoil on this gun. I didn't really know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised, very little recoil!

I'm going to clean it now, and give it a more thorough visual inspection.

stchman

Bearcat
I have shot probably over 1000 rounds in my SR9 and it has always functioned exceptionally well.

Rugers are very well made and very reliable. There are probably pistols that are 2% more accurate, but Ruger's reliability is excellent.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Stick with WWB and stay away from Remington UMC and cheap reloads for your FMJ. Mine hates them. Stovepipes every 3-5 rounds. Read quite a few complaints about all Remington 9mm. And Viridian has a 1/2 price special on their green laser for new SR9 buyers. Enjoy a great gun, peening or not.