SR9 Jams

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ZSr9

Bearcat
Been having a problem with jamming when i rapid fire my Sr9.
It seems as if the striker is hitting the back of the round so hard it's causing the case to get stuck in the barrel and i have to remove the mag and tap or point it in the air and give it a shake or two and the case falls out .
I always use S&B 115Gr for target.
Recently pulled mag disconnect and installed 3.5lb trigger and it feels great!
Has anyone else had this problem? :shock:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You probably have some crude stuck in the extractor. Pull off your slide and flip it over, look into the inside of the hook, brush out any debris using a solvent and lubricate at the hinge point.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Also, measure the cases before and then measure after.
Compare the cases (brass) that get stuck to the cases that work correctly.
There is a possibility of over expansion, not likely, but something to check out

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
One other thing, if you do a lot of "ball & dummy" drills, it could be rounding out the extractor.
When doing these drills, it is best to use a snap dummy round and not just drop rounds in the barrel.
Something to think about when drilling...

ZSr9

Bearcat
The Pistol has been doing this since the first day I took it to the range(so I lubed well)at first i thought it was the range reloads(various brass types) then i started using S&B 115Grsince they were the same price $15.(that ended the slow firing jams)I can shoot 300/400 rounds with no problems as long as there is a 1 sec pause between shots but when i shoot doubles i get through about 3 mags and (jam/tap/rak) or rapid fire same thing.

I was reviewing some info about trigger fixes on sr9 maybe a month or two ago and seem to recall a gentleman post he had same problem and cut two
ring off his striker spring to lighten up the strike( something to that effect)
Now as a policy i don't normally fiddle with the springs on my guns.
Does anybody recall such a post??

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
You may also want to take apart and clean out your striker, etc.
After 2x FTF, I cleaned mine out and found metal shavings that had not allowed the firing pin to completely move forward.
Just an extra precaution

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Okay a couple of things, if you can point your pistol in the air and shake it and the case comes out, you don't have a problem with your cases sticking in the chamber.
Did you fire this gun before you removed the mag disconnect safety and changed out the trigger bar?
Have you let anyone else shoot this gun and did they have different results?
Did you look at the extractor and clean it out well?

ZSr9

Bearcat
Sometimes you can shake the case out and sometimes you have to use your finger to aid in getting the case out if i give a shake or two and it does not come out i just close and open the slide re-insert the mag and fire i have to take mag out due to next round(it will be half way out of the mag) trying to load an occupied chamber.

I put about 800 rounds down range and about a week ago i got a ghost 3.5
connector so when i put it in i also removed mag disconnect i read a post
on polishing trig bar and he was saying how removing mag disconnect smoothed out trig but not the pull.(Ghost inc took care of the pull ) it fells 100% better than before.

I have let people fire the gun but they fired it slow not rapid or double 2,3,4 mags.

The extractor is clean as a whistle i use a dental pic and there is really not any amount of debris that should be causing a problem.

this weekend i go to an outdoor shooting range to fire a new rifle i shot about 300 rounds with my rifle no problems what so ever i also bring my glock and my trusty ruger(when no double/rapids more that 3 mags)
with new and improved trigger.
After shoot rifle for a while i look at watch it's 4 the range close at 5 so i mossy on over to pistol range nobody there i'm thinking great
load up some mags and began firing trigger felt great i get threw 3 mags
and i start double taping get threw 2 mags jam i clear reload and finish that mag(set it aside) load the others and rapid fire after 1 mag jam
in about 200 round in 45 min it jam 3 times.

I thought this jaming is really becoming a pebble in my shoe something
has to be done and here we are.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
If the extractor is fine and I'm not sure that it is, it could be that your pistol is heating up and the cycling is slowing during your shooting. You could try longer breaks between magazines and see if the problem stops.
The other thing could be when you are double-tapping that you are loosening or changing your grip as you fire and this could also be a cause.
....but I still suspect that the extractor is hanging up, the pivot point is half way down it, you could push it on the back side over and over and see if you feel any hitch in it.

ZSr9

Bearcat
Thx for the help.
I will check it up and down and dedicate a day at the range with it and figure it out.