SR9 issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gommee

Bearcat
Hello All

First of all, I would like to thank Josh for all his guidance. Josh, you da man.

I purchased a used SR9 from a guy that said it was a show piece like new.

Wrong.

The exterior is immaculate, but the inside was something that I would not bet my life on. The trigger pull felt like 25 lbs and the slide was extremely hard to pull back. I stripped it, polished the parts recommended by Josh, and scrubbed every inch and every part of it. Now I may be anal about my firearms, but it is a matter of life or death. This journey took three nights of labor. Here is what I found:

First of all, the Striker Block was scored by the Trigger Bar. Both have now been polished.
IMGP0478.jpg

There is wear on the slide, seems to be normal judging from all the other posts about it.
IMGP0476.jpg

The Trigger Bar Reset was binding on the indent on the slide. Two things caused this; being disgustingly filthy and a chain reaction from the Manual Safety being bent and rubbing on the slide as well as making the Reset press tighter on the slide. The bent Manual Safety was also causing the Trigger Bar to twist and bind due to the sideways slop. What directed me to the Manual Safety was the wear marks on it from the slide. Once it was straightened, the Reset was not as tight against the slide, the Trigger Bar no longer twisted or dragged. This tightened up the entire assembly which lightened up the trigger pull a great deal. The Trigger is not exactly where I would like it, but is much better.
IMGP0489.jpg

IMGP0481.jpg

IMGP0487.jpg

I then disassembled all of the mags and scrubbed them spotless.

The last issue I found was a rough edge on the bottom of the ramp on the barrel.
IMGP0471.jpg

Saturday will be the true test at the range. A range report will follow.

jhearne

Buckeye
Thanks man, looks better if it was as bad as you said it was internally. Let us know how she shoots.

Josh

gommee

Bearcat
You should see it now!

It looks like it just came off the shelf. In the picture of the Striker Blocker, you can see the crud. That was covering all of the internals. It was caked every where. Now it is a show piece! Let's hope it shoots like one now!

recoilguy

Bearcat
Nice work on the gun. It is good that you took the time to prevent any real problems. I always take my guns down and clean and polish the parts also. Some don't "need" it but it never hurts.

I am pretty sure you will be happy with the pistol now. The manual saftey being bent is puzzling and disturbing. I am glad you caught it and fixed it. The SR9 really is a decent pistol and with all the work you did it should perform very well for you.

I do not believe it to be anal to take your gun down, some people will not or can not, but for me I get to know the gun a little and I know it will be in very good working order when I pull the trigger. Maybr I am anal too.......but I do like to go over my pistoles when new and then again from time to time. Like when they watch Hockey games with me. All the Rugers are Red Wing fans in my house.

RCG

jhearne

Buckeye
A couple of Safeties have been bent on new guns, but since it's used, you can't say for sure what condition it came in from Ruger. Could've been dropped, or merely pressed against real hard and kinda tweaked it some. Who knows, atleast you caught it and got it figured out. It's rare enough that I didn't think to mention it in the PMs we had. Good thing you gave it a real good once over before the range.

Josh

gommee

Bearcat
Thanks guys!

I was trying to figure out the issue with the trigger pull. It seemed strange that when the trigger was pulled, the trigger bar twisted a bit. Can some-one tell me if they have any side to side movement (Trigger cocked or uncocked) or twisting of the trigger bar (when the trigger is pulled) at the end that meets the striker? Can some-one check the side of the tab on the manual safety to see if they have rub marks from the slide going back and forth?

gommee

Bearcat
recoilguy":3sun98ks said:
I do not believe it to be anal to take your gun down, some people will not or can not, but for me I get to know the gun a little and I know it will be in very good working order when I pull the trigger. Maybr I am anal too.......but I do like to go over my pistoles when new and then again from time to time. Like when they watch Hockey games with me. All the Rugers are Red Wing fans in my house.

RCG

The fellow that taught me how to look after my guns now wants me to clean his guns! Yes, he calls me Anal as well, but when I pull the trigger, they go BOOM!

I will post some pics of post cleaning tonight. I gotta figure that Macro setting out.

recoilguy

Bearcat
gommee":3a1lnmzm said:
Thanks guys!

I was trying to figure out the issue with the trigger pull. It seemed strange that when the trigger was pulled, the trigger bar twisted a bit. Can some-one tell me if they have any side to side movement (Trigger cocked or uncocked) or twisting of the trigger bar (when the trigger is pulled) at the end that meets the striker? Can some-one check the side of the tab on the manual safety to see if they have rub marks from the slide going back and forth?

I am out of town and will be until Tuesday, If you do not have an answer by then I will look at my guns and let you know. Good luck

RCG

gommee

Bearcat
recoilguy":3g5dv04k said:
I am out of town and will be until Tuesday, If you do not have an answer by then I will look at my guns and let you know. Good luck

RCG

No replies so far, Can you have a look at yours when you get back?

gommee

Bearcat
Well I did not make it to the range on the weekend, I guess I will have to try again next weekend.

As promised, here are the pictures after the cleaning and polish.

IMGP0500.jpg
IMGP0506.jpg

IMGP0514.jpg
IMGP0517.jpg

She looks like she just came off the assembly line.

gommee

Bearcat
Well I finally got a chance to take her out for a test drive today. The trigger took a little bit to get use to, but with all the work to it, it feels like a 6 lbs pull. The interesting thing, there is no trigger travel or creep. My XD9 took a bit to find the sweet spot. With the SR9, it is right there, right now.
Now as for accuracy, it is dead accurate. After the first mag, it seemed like I could not miss what I was aiming at. I ran 200 rounds through it and not one hiccup. No stove pipes, no FTF's, no jams at all. My shooting buddy said I shoot the SR9 better than my XD9. She is a keeper!

gommee

Bearcat
Most triggers when pulled will have some "Free Play" or travel from the start of the trigger pull until it engages. Once the trigger is pulled, you do not have to let the trigger all the way back to it's original resting spot for it engage the sear and striker again and is ready to be fired again. I like to call it the "Sweet Spot". I am by no means an expert, but every gun I own or have owned has a little bit of travel before you feel the actual trigger weight or pull. Some call it creep, travel, free play. On my SR9 there is no movement, when you squeeze the trigger, you feel the weight of the trigger right away. There is no sweet spot, the trigger has to fully return to the set position before you can fire it again.

This is my explanation, maybe some one else can explain it better.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
gommee":1lz5kzjl said:
Most triggers when pulled will have some "Free Play" or travel from the start of the trigger pull until it engages. Once the trigger is pulled, you do not have to let the trigger all the way back to it's original resting spot for it engage the sear and striker again and is ready to be fired again. I like to call it the "Sweet Spot". I am by no means an expert, but every gun I own or have owned has a little bit of travel before you feel the actual trigger weight or pull. Some call it creep, travel, free play. On my SR9 there is no movement, when you squeeze the trigger, you feel the weight of the trigger right away. There is no sweet spot, the trigger has to fully return to the set position before you can fire it again.

This is my explanation, maybe some one else can explain it better.

I was reading some on the SR9 trigger last night & if I understand correctly there is a blade that protrudes from the center of the to trigger? In pictures looks like the SR9 has 2 triggers.

I have never seen an SR9 trigger up close before, :)

jhearne

Buckeye
That trigger is only a physical safety of sorts for drop tests and such. It's my understanding that a Glock trigger has some actual linkage incrporating it into the Trigger System. The SR9 is merely a piece of plastic that's just in the way at the right time lol, it works, but when you look at the design of it, it really is kinda just "thrown into it". Don't get me wrong it works fine, just an easy fix to a behind the scenes issue IMO.

Josh