SR9 is fixed - now a dilemna....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scott

Single-Sixer
striker spring cup was broken after about 70 rounds. Ruger fixed it, was good on the phone, got it back quick - no charge since it was a new gun, etc. BUT... The technician says "the owner broke the spring cup while dissasembling, but we'll fix it this once as a courtesy". I know I didn't break it but I'm not going to argue with Ruger - they're the experts. The biggest aggrevation is that the explanation states that "we don't reccomend dissasembling any further than the owner's manual states". If I follow that, I'll never clean the striker/spring/etc. ( and believe me, it's FULL of grease right now, after the factory re-do).

The question I have is whether I should leave it alone and never clean the striker, or assume they are in "CYA" mode so they don't have to replace another one, and I should go ahead and dissasemble and clean as I planned on before, or should I call them and ask what the He** do you mean I shoulnd't take it apart!?

By the way, the factory says they ran 20 rounds through it, and I just ran 2 full mags (34rds) of cheap ammo with NO problems (and a pretty tight pattern, if I do say so myself!).

ConradM

Blackhawk
Wow that's crazy. I didn't get anything like that when my spring cup broke... No questions asked at all actually. Sorry to hear it.

Scott

Single-Sixer
Conrad - I've seen your other posts about this - do you know when/how your broke? Do you now take it down and clean it?

revhigh

Hawkeye
That's crap. If a gun can't be taken apart without being broken, it doesn't say much for the gun. Ruger's full of crap on this ... I wouldn't worry about it ... do whatever you want and if it breaks again, they'll fix it.

The word of one technician does not company policy make ... BUT, this response sure makes it seem like Ruger's seen more than a few of these, doesn't it ?

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
Scott":1xhkye19 said:
Conrad - I've seen your other posts about this - do you know when/how your broke? Do you now take it down and clean it?

It broke after about 2000 rounds... Had been removing the striker all that time for cleaning. Some think it's because I cut my striker spring. I'm skeptical.

No, I have no idea how it broke... Just got home from the range one day and couldn't remove the back plate.

But I emailed Ruger and they simply sent me a new one no questions. They didn't even ask me to send in the broken one first.

jhearne

Buckeye
Maybe they visited Rugerforum and found my How-To....I'm famous 8) :lol:

It isn't a tech's job to speculate how it was broken unless specifically told to by a customer/boss, what a tech does off of paper however is their own business. Offhand comments like that shouldn't even have made it to the report or you, should've just said, "Replaced broken Striker Cup, per request by customer." End of story.

Regardless, take it apart as you wish, they wouldn't give us an Exploded View and only label 2 things (slide/barrel) as needing to be "Hand Fitted" at the factory if they didn't think the average person could get it apart and back together.

If they didn't want us monkeying with it, they wouldn't have put a darn Mag DC in there in the first place, OR make it so obvious/easy to remove. EDIT: If Ruger didn't want us messing with the darn thing, they would've asked Rev his opinion before building it :p :D j/k haha.

Josh

Scott

Single-Sixer
Josh - it was your How-To video that got me into this mess in the first place!!! That's where I learned to break my spring cup - I did take it apart last night, and all seems to be fine; I think I'll just view all this as a speed bump in the road to finding a reliable gun - time will tell.

Thanks to all on this forum - much great help here!

jhearne

Buckeye
Scott":2j951l6g said:
Josh - it was your How-To video that got me into this mess in the first place!!!

Haha, that's why I posted the warnings ;)....it's a good gun, I've had mine apart down to the frame a handful of times and haven't had a single problem. It's a good gun if you don't have the other 'issues'.

Josh

Gat0rBait

Bearcat
Is fieldstripping and cleaning enough or do i need to break it down farther and clean more things?

jhearne

Buckeye
Gat0rBait":35s9f40k said:
Is fieldstripping and cleaning enough or do i need to break it down farther and clean more things?

It's up to you, I'd strip it down every 1000 rounds or so, but a field strip for cleaning regularly is good after each range trip.

Josh

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Scott":2p4pz8yt said:
The biggest aggrevation is that the explanation states that "we don't reccomend dissasembling any further than the owner's manual states". If I follow that, I'll never clean the striker/spring/etc. ( and believe me, it's FULL of grease right now, after the factory re-do).
The disassembly video on the Ruger website shows them removing the striker.

That makes it "factory recommended" and fair game in my book.

graygun

Hunter
Jumping Frog":1lismyjx said:
Scott":1lismyjx said:
The biggest aggrevation is that the explanation states that "we don't reccomend dissasembling any further than the owner's manual states". If I follow that, I'll never clean the striker/spring/etc. ( and believe me, it's FULL of grease right now, after the factory re-do).
The disassembly video on the Ruger website shows them removing the striker.

That makes it "factory recommended" and fair game in my book.

Good point!

Gat0rBait

Bearcat
Just checked out the videos I will do the striker every now and then.

Also im only using break free clp it says its a lubercant and solevant, most people i talk to use 2 differnt things though. Is what im using sufficient?

Scott":2qd94j4z said:
striker spring cup was broken after about 70 rounds. Ruger fixed it, was good on the phone, got it back quick - no charge since it was a new gun, etc. BUT... The technician says "the owner broke the spring cup while dissasembling, but we'll fix it this once as a courtesy". I know I didn't break it but I'm not going to argue with Ruger - they're the experts. The biggest aggrevation is that the explanation states that "we don't reccomend dissasembling any further than the owner's manual states". If I follow that, I'll never clean the striker/spring/etc. ( and believe me, it's FULL of grease right now, after the factory re-do).

The question I have is whether I should leave it alone and never clean the striker, or assume they are in "CYA" mode so they don't have to replace another one, and I should go ahead and dissasemble and clean as I planned on before, or should I call them and ask what the He** do you mean I shoulnd't take it apart!?

By the way, the factory says they ran 20 rounds through it, and I just ran 2 full mags (34rds) of cheap ammo with NO problems (and a pretty tight pattern, if I do say so myself!).

The technician needs to keep his supposition and speculation to himself.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Amazing that the video on there sight tells you that you may want to remove the striker for detailed cleaning and then shows you how. Hard to beleive it's not factory recommended if their own tech recommends it on their videos.

Latest posts