SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) - Video Links Removed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

this_is_nascar

Bearcat
explorecaves said:
this_is_nascar said:
To my knowledge, there are not aftermarket 15-round SR9 magazines. There's nothing wrong with modifying the 17-round mag to accept only 15-rounds. I'm just unsure how to do it in such a way that it's somewhat "permanent" and functional, nor would I be able to do it, since I'd have to have the 17-rounder in my position. Obviously, that's illegal and can't be done. Someone in a state that's allowed a 17-round mag, doing the modification and sending me the modded mag is certainly legal in NJ. The mag can't be capable of holding more than 15-rounds. That's the requirement/law.

The way that comes to my mind is to add a block of some sort to the plate that attaches to the end of the spring that would limit the total spring compression to the 15 rounds.... This block would be inside the spring so you would have the taper the block to allow the spring to pass between it and the wall of the magazine when being compressed.

(royalties from production of this modification shall be sent to me ;) LOL)

Thanks. I was thinking of something similar. Problem is, I'd need someone outside of NJ to obtain the mags, mod them and ship them to me. I am, no way possible, allowed to possess a 17-round mag in the state of NJ.

explorecaves

Bearcat
this_is_nascar said:
explorecaves said:
this_is_nascar said:
To my knowledge, there are not aftermarket 15-round SR9 magazines. There's nothing wrong with modifying the 17-round mag to accept only 15-rounds. I'm just unsure how to do it in such a way that it's somewhat "permanent" and functional, nor would I be able to do it, since I'd have to have the 17-rounder in my position. Obviously, that's illegal and can't be done. Someone in a state that's allowed a 17-round mag, doing the modification and sending me the modded mag is certainly legal in NJ. The mag can't be capable of holding more than 15-rounds. That's the requirement/law.

The way that comes to my mind is to add a block of some sort to the plate that attaches to the end of the spring that would limit the total spring compression to the 15 rounds.... This block would be inside the spring so you would have the taper the block to allow the spring to pass between it and the wall of the magazine when being compressed.

(royalties from production of this modification shall be sent to me ;) LOL)

Thanks. I was thinking of something similar. Problem is, I'd need someone outside of NJ to obtain the mags, mod them and ship them to me. I am, no way possible, allowed to possess a 17-round mag in the state of NJ.

Why not test the prototype out on a 10 round mag? Use a little hot glue to secure it while you try it out/troubleshoot. Then, once it works, try to find someone to modify the 17 round mags...

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
The 10 round mags are not the same on the base end. The shoulders fold in and they add plastic foot to make up the distance of the body for the full size guns. The compacts just get a flat base or pinky extension.

explorecaves

Bearcat
Egalloway said:
The 10 round mags are not the same on the base end. The shoulders fold in and they add plastic foot to make up the distance of the body for the full size guns. The compacts just get a flat base or pinky extension.

Wonder if it would be possible to cut down the plastic foot in the 10 round to make it a 15 round?..... (I've never looked at the 10 rounds mags before)

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Not what you'd like to hear I know, but I'd just carry an extra magazine or two and practice reloads if you feel the need for more fire power. That and get involved in the state political process to try and change the law.
Sal

this_is_nascar

Bearcat
explorecaves said:
Egalloway said:

Wonder if it would be possible to cut down the plastic foot in the 10 round to make it a 15 round?..... (I've never looked at the 10 rounds mags before)

Interesting. Certainly something to consider. I'll have to wait until I get my SR9 to look at the 10-round mag.

this_is_nascar

Bearcat
Sal1950 said:
Not what you'd like to hear I know, but I'd just carry an extra magazine or two and practice reloads if you feel the need for more fire power. That and get involved in the state political process to try and change the law.
Sal

Yea, you're right. Not what I want to hear. :D Why wouldn't I want to be capabable of carrying the maximum number of rounds allowed per mag in my state? It just doesn't make not to, if I have the option.

Sorata

Bearcat
I am wondering if I should be concerned about my pistol. In step 5 part number 43 the trigger bar lift spring shown does not look like mine. My spring always wants to come out of place when putting it back together and has a bend (more like a bulge to make it not lay flat) about half way up the leg that extends down toward the magazine well but has no bend at the base to lock it into a hole like the one pictured. Are there different springs on the newer SR9 models?

Sal1950

Blackhawk
this_is_nascar said:
Sal1950 said:
Sal

Yea, you're right. Not what I want to hear. :D Why wouldn't I want to be capabable of carrying the maximum number of rounds allowed per mag in my state? It just doesn't make not to, if I have the option.

Guess I'm in serious trouble then since my carry gun is either a revolver with only 6 measly shots in it or my Taurus TCP 380 which carries a whopping 7 shots with 1 first hand loaded into the chamber. :)
Sal

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Well I made an expensive error. I decided to detail strip my sr9c to get any excess grease out of the action. While putting the gun back together,I did not pay enough attention to the trigger bar lift spring. The spring bent. I was able to straighten the spring,and get the handgun to d
Function but I do not trust it for self defense now. So now I will need to send it to ruger for repair.

Anyone have any idea if ruger will let me prepay them for repairs and round trip shipping?

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Leucoandro said:
Anyone have any idea if ruger will let me prepay them for repairs and round trip shipping?

You know if you just call them and tell them what happened they'll probably send you a new spring for free.
Sal

jhearne

Buckeye
Sal1950 said:
Leucoandro said:

You know if you just call them and tell them what happened they'll probably send you a new spring for free.
Sal

Granted he lived in the US.

Josh

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Sorry, I forgot to update that. I recently moved to the panhandle of Florida.

After the way I missed the spring the last time,and the trouble I had keeping the loop in the spring on the retainer,I am not sure I want to tear into it again. I normally don't have any problems with handguns.

rmbentle86

Bearcat
A few years later, and this is still viewed and used in a very helpfull way. Your step by steps are simply terrific. Just bought the SR9 earlier today, took it out and threw 200 rounds through it. And very impressed! Accuracy and ease of handling/cleaning, makes it a dream gun for this first time pistol owner.

jhearne

Buckeye
Leucoandro said:
Sorry, I forgot to update that. I recently moved to the panhandle of Florida.

After the way I missed the spring the last time,and the trouble I had keeping the loop in the spring on the retainer,I am not sure I want to tear into it again. I normally don't have any problems with handguns.

Ah, makes the scenario much better than shipping to Germany lol. Only way to know about the prepaying shipping/repairs is to just call and ask what it'll run you. Otherwise they'll probably just make you ship it to them prepaid, and then bill you for the parts/labor/shipping back. You know I'd personally just order a new spring and go for it, but I wrote the instructions ;)

You can replace that spring as easily as you can install a Ghost Rocket. Just take the internal assemblies out of the gun. Drop the safety lever down, catch the spring/detent pin. Rotate the Trigger Reset Bar out of the way some, remove the connector bar and swap the spring. Reverse to assemble again.

If you decide to install yourself, and want advice/help, let me know (email/pm)

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
rmbentle86 said:
A few years later, and this is still viewed and used in a very helpfull way. Your step by steps are simply terrific. Just bought the SR9 earlier today, took it out and threw 200 rounds through it. And very impressed! Accuracy and ease of handling/cleaning, makes it a dream gun for this first time pistol owner.

Glad you found it helpful, enjoy the SR9!

Josh

frettbird

Bearcat
I bought an SR9 Saturday. Feels great, shot OK the first day. Yesterday it jammed, misfed, non ejected and generally failed at least 7 times in 30 trigger pulls. 17 round mag, 115 FMJ target...what the heck happened? My instructor recommended a few parts which I have sent for. 18 pound recoil spring is standard, I have a 15 pound coming with it's assembly. And the LCI delete.
I don't trust my new gun. So the Glock 19, which is a machine gun when one is disappointed in a new purchase, restored my faith in my ability to defend myself.
Shucks. Gosh Darn.

Joe_Atlanta

Bearcat
frettbird said:
Yesterday it jammed, misfed, non ejected and generally failed at least 7 times in 30 trigger pulls. 17 round mag, 115 FMJ target...what the heck happened?
Sounds like either a lemon (it happens) or a gummed up gun. There's been a more than a few posts about Rugers needing a good cleaning before shooting. In particular the striker and striker channel in the slide.

Wyowind

Bearcat
I realize I'm a bit late to this party but I would also like to thank everyone for their input on making the SR series of auto's a better weapon. I have one of the SR9-c's. Have been tinkering with it based on the vid's and photo's.
In addition to the already excellent advice, I would add another area to look at that might help smooth the trigger a little and possibly take a few ounces off from the overall trigger pull.

I removed the " striker block" (#17) and corresponding "spring" (#16). Polished the whole surface of the block really well. I also noticed that the spring movement inside the striker block was a bit rough. I de-burred the edges of the striker block where the spring moved in and out of it. Placed a very small drop of Rem-oil and re-assembled the whole deal.

Seems to have cleaned-up some of the grainy feeling. Maybe its all in my head ? ? ? ?.

I have approximately 150 live rounds and a lot of dry-fire practice with my SR. Had 4 failures of trigger reset in the first 50 rounds. Realized that I had previously taken it apart and didn't quite get the "take-down pin" quite fully reseated. Back out to the range and after 100 more rounds, no more problems.

Now if I could learn to shoot. I have the back sights all the way drifted to the right and feel like I'm still hitting slightly left. Maybe its my poor hold or trigger squeeze?

???? Does anyone know if the front sight can be drifted to one side or is it stationary with only the back sight able to be moved ? ? ? ?