SR9 Holsters?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello everyone, I've been visiting this site for some time and Thank You for all your informative and entertaining posts!

My wife bought me an SR9 in late April for my birthday, as my first pistol and I've experienced zero problems after 500 rounds, although I will say the mag release is a little stubborn and I would love a lighter trigger pull. But thats all been discussed...

I know this topic has been talked about numerous times but I'm seeking your thoughts on possible holsters

Blackhawk CF Holster w/ Black & Paddle - SERPA - Right- w/ Matte Finish

http://www.nightvisionplanet.com/Blackh ... 1bk-r.html

or

RUGER SR9 - ROTO-HOLSTER™ PADDLE

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/RU ... 42-21.html

You have personal knowledge with these products, so please let me know what you think? Or even if you recommend a different make or model?

I do not conceal carry nor am I a pseudo tactical warrior, I'd just like a nicer holster

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
of the two, the Blackhawk is definitely a nice holster, but there's been some discussion as to whether or not it's actually available. The Fobus is a fine holster, but I limit them to range use.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I use the Fobus OWB (HK1 ?) for some training classes but mainly use the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. I use the Supertuck for EDC and try to use it for training as well since that is what I normally carry in. I also have a second SR9 that I use for training. It gets banged up more than my carry piece and has a lot more rounds through it. Plus it's nice after doing some training to strap on a clean gun. Plus the IWB, to me, seems to be easy to get to from concealment. Shirt doesn't get hung up on the holster.

But just to have a holster, the Fobus works well for me. It's taken some good abuse to; like rackin the slide off it, lots of quick draws and holstering in classes and a pretty nasty fall (still attached to the wearer type of ordeal) across the range doing some drills. Solid holster. I liek it best clipped behind the pants with a belt as well. I've seen some just hang it off the belt but that doesn't work well for me. I don't wear my belt that tight.

Thanks for the feedback, I placed an order for the Blackhawk SERPA, so we'll see what shows up on my doorstep! It seems like a superior holster, though Turbobuddha's Supertuck looks like a badass rig

I'll take some pictures when it arrives in case anyone gives a hoot

JAP78

Bearcat
I use Galco's 3 cop slot for the SR9. Great Holster.........

Jeff

What is so bad about the Blackhawk! release? They make it seem like its a divine revelation in the holster business, and I have blind faith unfortunately

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I prefer the Blackhawk release to the Fobus friction fit, myself. It's just a nicer made holster (at double the price)

mekender

Single-Sixer
Smoke&Mirrors":2fnenkjh said:
What is so bad about the Blackhawk! release? They make it seem like its a divine revelation in the holster business, and I have blind faith unfortunately

to me, it is just an extra step needed to draw the pistol... and since i carry both concealed and open, i dont want to have to worry about two different methods of drawing... in a self defense situation that could be lethal...

on a side note, i purchased the Blackhawk! CQC Single Row Mag case to compliment the SERPA holster

I knew the SR9 mag was high capacity and was a little staggered but I assumed it would still be classified under single stack and would fit nicely. WRONG. My first attempt at inserting the mag was met with great resistance. I man-handled it out with frustration, and removed the unnecessary tension plate. I lightly oiled the inner walls and tried again. Still way too tight. Is there anything I can do to make it a smoother receptacle? There is no way I could quickly draw my aux. mag with the fitting straight from Blackhawk!. Am I purely an idiot and should have gotten a custom fitted mag case and not a universal single stack case? Would a double stack case do the trick? Thoughts?

Still waiting on the SERPA holster, if this is indicative of Blackhawk!'s product quality, I'm not a fan.

ConradM

Blackhawk
SR9 uses double-stack mags.... Even then, I think they're a bit thicker than a normal double stack.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Yea, I have a double stack Fobus mag pouch and even it fits a little tight. :( At least you know now. :D

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
kujiin":wfq06fua said:
I just order this one from highnoonholster.com after seeing one a friend had.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product ... asset.html

Kuj

I've got one of these that I carry my Bersa Thunder 9 UC in. The only downside to it is that it doesn't have a sweat guard for the slide, so if you sweat it goes on the gun. High Noon makes some great stuff, and they have a much nicer version that does have the sweat guard, but it's 3x the price with a wait to get it.

Edirty692

Bearcat
Just got my Blawkhawk CF Holster from Nightvisionplantet today and love it. I also have a Forbus Hk1 and like the Blawkhawk alot better. Ordered on Thursday and got it today. Not bad :lol:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Edirty692":26eyk9nq said:
Just got my Blawkhawk CF Holster from Nightvisionplantet today and love it. I also have a Forbus Hk1 and like the Blawkhawk alot better. Ordered on Thursday and got it today. Not bad :lol:

I like the Serpa's... But I keep hearing about people shooting themselves in the leg when drawing in competition. That and I just read a story about someone training from the ground, getting dirt in the mechanism, and the retention not working. :(

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
ConradM":129l2gzf said:
SR9 uses double-stack mags.... Even then, I think they're a bit thicker than a normal double stack.
I bought a Fobus double mag holder for my S&W M&P .40 and it also works just fine for my SR-9.